Gravity (Post-release)

There are two mission controls that deal with the ISS, one at Houston and the other at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. The latter is primarily for the payload ops, but can function as a full misison control. I've been to both several times and it's amazing to be in either room...
And NO, they haven't shut down.

Not sure why people seem to believe NASA is shutdown, the JPL is still open as well due to the fact it is ran by Cal Tech and not federal civil servants. NASA is our most competent branch of government and yet when budget cuts come along what branch gets hit? Certainly not the incompetent ones...

Anywho, breath... I need to see this movie again in IMAX. :p

I thought it was a fantastic movie, and I'm glad that Cuaron refused to give into studio pressure to change things to make it another generic action/disaster movie.

Sadly, I went into the movie and was focusing on the lighting effects so much that I think it took away from the experience a bit (The lighting was amazing, mind you... I'm one of those who's instantly taken out of the film when there's unrealistic lighting around a character that's in freefall or spinning around).

Also, I went and saw it in IMAX 3D, but for some reason, the picture wasn't projected onto the entire screen. It was shrunk down by about 15%, which really pissed me off.

The more I think about this movie, the more I didn't like it. The effects were outstanding, their attempt recreate real "space" is impressive and noteworthy. The story itself - well, the more I hear about, the more I'm removed from it just makes me think the story was mediocre.

Bullock gives a solid performance, Clooney plays Clooney in space...

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about this movie, the more I didn't like it. The effects were outstanding, their attempt recreate real "space" is impressive and noteworthy. The story itself - well, the more I hear about, the more I'm removed from it just makes me think the story was mediocre.

Because our news media is telling us there is a government shutdown and most people believe it, even though it's only about 17% of the gov that actually stopped work.
True.
Here's the ISS mission control room at Redstone. I took this shot last month:
TNtrip2013072_zps9fc0c12a.jpg

I've seen it three times. Last night I went to the TCL Chinese Theater (aka Mann Chinese) in Hollywood and there was a nice surprise waiting in the lobby. Figured the RPF guys would appreciate them!

P1110867_zps002794f9.jpg
P1110870_zps9e628d2b.jpg
P1110874_zps47dd3265.jpg
P1110873_zps42499493.jpg

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

The plot was simplistic because it had no reason to be complex. Complex characters combined with a complex story would have detracted from what the story really was; a survival story.

It wasn't Elysium where the more you think about the movie the more absolutely absurd the entire premise of the movie becomes.

This movie was fantastic. Clooney was good, Bullock knocked it out of the park. I have never been that tense for 2 hours in a movie before. Incredible.

Oh a space forum, someone pointed out how unlikely it'd be that whoever Bullock ran into after the ending of the movie would believe who she was or where she'd come from. The guy had a good point, who'd believe a story like that from someone dressed like she was?

The plot was simplistic because it had no reason to be complex. Complex characters combined with a complex story would have detracted from what the story really was; a survival story.

It wasn't Elysium where the more you think about the movie the more absolutely absurd the entire premise of the movie becomes.
doesn't need to be complex to avoid being predictable. If it weren't for the effects and the 'real' treatment of space this movie would've been panned.

Nonsense. The visuals were stunning but the story was tight, acting well done, it maintained sone terrific tension and viewer anxiety, a total film making win. Scenes are allowed to play out longer them the audience is comfortable increasing the sense of helplessness. Really loved the little throw backs to Jaws and Alien. Although it should have been titled Angular Velocity as per Dr. Tyson. And no one wears so little under an EVA suit.

Wow, 97/90 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:
doesn't need to be complex to avoid being predictable. If it weren't for the effects and the 'real' treatment of space this movie would've been panned.

Again, space survival movie. If your complaint is that it was too predictable that the protagonist would survive a space survival movie... I don't really know what to tell you, JD.

Cinematography was amazing, acting was fantastic best in her career and the script was very well done. Overall I found it to be a great movie.

Predictable? Sure, so was Breaking Bad.

Just got back.

WOW.

And now, some thoughts.

Did they have to get two of the biggest stars in the world for this? Would it have been better with fresher faces? Speaking of faces, could Sandra be any more gaunt? How 'bout another sandwich for the poor girl? Why did Ed Harris sound so wooden? How come Clooney pronounced "Soyuz" correctly the first time and then kept saying "Soyez?" Was taking off her helmet in a smoke-filled cabin really the brightest move? Didn't she learn the first time that opening a pressurized airlock might get her launched into space again? (And it really should have, both times.) Lake landing: shout-out to Planet of the Apes?

Anyway, just visually stunning, and amazingly tense. Probably the quietest audience I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

We took our young son to see it and afterward he announced he didn't want to be an astronaut, which I thought was funny, considering that I grew up with the space program when everybody wanted to be an astronaut. :)

Again, space survival movie. If your complaint is that it was too predictable that the protagonist would survive a space survival movie... I don't really know what to tell you, JD.

Cinematography was amazing, acting was fantastic best in her career and the script was very well done. Overall I found it to be a great movie.

Predictable? Sure, so was Breaking Bad.
Not sure why you opted to comment on my dislikes of the movie. I've mentioned the movie looked amazing, the effects were very good, too. I didn't see much character development (which Breaking Bad had - at least the first season as its the only one I've seen so far - and wasn't all that predictable). Gravity's plot was just poor. Clooney's reappearance and cemented that for me. If you liked it, that's great - on my initial watch of the film I liked parts of it, but thought it was a bit tedious and didn't get the hype for it. The more I heard about it, the more I thought about how it just didn't work for me... it just wasn't as great or solid a movie for me as it was for many others.

Bullock was solid - but, if that acting was the best in her career - well, I'm not sure how she earned that Oscar; again, she was very solid and competent in Gravity, but I didn't see an Oscar winning performance.

Not sure why you opted to comment on my dislikes of the movie. I've mentioned the movie looked amazing, the effects were very good, too. I didn't see much character development (which Breaking Bad had - at least the first season as its the only one I've seen so far - and wasn't all that predictable). Gravity's plot was just poor. Clooney's reappearance and cemented that for me. If you liked it, that's great - on my initial watch of the film I liked parts of it, but thought it was a bit tedious and didn't get the hype for it. The more I heard about it, the more I thought about how it just didn't work for me... it just wasn't as great or solid a movie for me as it was for many others.

Bullock was solid - but, if that acting was the best in her career - well, I'm not sure how she earned that Oscar; again, she was very solid and competent in Gravity, but I didn't see an Oscar winning performance.

I opted to comment on your dislike because I would like to better understand what your expectations were going into the movie. The plot was predictable, what would have made it better in your opinion? I thought the plot was pretty solid:
Two shuttle astronauts get marooned in space when speeding debris from an exploded Russian satellite takes out their craft and kills everyone else on- and off-board. So the medical engineer and veteran astronaut must find a working shuttle in order to survive and make it back to Earth.

I guess I am confused as to why you felt the movie's predictability was a detriment to the movie.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back