Gravity (Post-release)

Re: Gravity

You don't like to be surprised when you go see a film ?

:darnkids

Well...

Then stay home, lads ! (or wait for the next Star Wars movie, I'm sure this one will meet all your "wildest" expectations)

:popcorn

Last edited:

It's no so much that people don't like to be surprised at movies, it's that people don't like to be surprised at how badly the movie they paid good money to see sucked.

I saw Gravity today at the UK cast and crew screening and I would highly recommend it. Visually stunning and neatly pressed into 90 minutes. After waiting for 2 years of post production to be completed (since the build and shoot wrapped in July 2011) I left the cinema feeling proud to have been involved. Well worth the wait.

Alfonso Cuaron Talks Putting Science Back In SciFi With GRAVITY | Badass Digest

Anyone still having reservations about Gravity, please read this full interview. After that you can continue to remain skeptical and choose to skip the IMAX screening, then instead watch it at home on the small BIG screen TV :).

While that article was an interesting read it still doesn't tell me if the movie is more than what we see in the trailer, e.g. is it more than just Sandra going for uncontrolled space walk after uncontrolled space walk? I realize that trailers can often be deceptive and can make a good movie look bad and a bad movie look good but I haven't seen anything in the trailers so far that tells me if there's anything more to this movie than Sandra flying out of control in her space suit time after time.

Director Darren Aronofsky and Rian Johnson on Gravity.

10050946645_a27b8dd6f0_o.png

Edgar Wright.

10058717234_91eb96fae2_o.png

Last edited:

Saw the movie yesterday... I was expecting a rather low-level but suspenseful 'let's sort this problem out'-kinda -story. Boy, was I wrong! :lol

The film DOES have its quite moments, which really give you time to breathe. I can't and won't spoil anything here, but the movie had me grab my seat for some minutes... and there's one great unexpected WTF?-moment in the movie where half the cinema-crowd here was on the edge. You'll see which one.;)

Saw 'Gravity' in 3D and it looked like the most realistic NASA-outer-space-footage ever. I would love to see this one in IMAX 3D, since I think it must be an enormous experience with these images... sadly, the next Imax-theater is in Berlin, so no real option.

One of the best and tense movies in cinemas I 've seen for a while! :)

Saw the movie yesterday... I was expecting a rather low-level but suspenseful 'let's sort this problem out'-kinda -story. Boy, was I wrong! :lol

The film DOES have its quite moments, which really give you time to breathe. I can't and won't spoil anything here, but the movie had me grab my seat for some minutes... and there's one great unexpected WTF?-moment in the movie where half the cinema-crowd here was on the edge. You'll see which one.;)

Saw 'Gravity' in 3D and it looked like the most realistic NASA-outer-space-footage ever. I would love to see this one in IMAX 3D, since I think it must be an enormous experience with these images... sadly, the next Imax-theater is in Berlin, so no real option.

One of the best and tense movies in cinemas I 've seen for a while! :)

Without spoiling anything, do you think you could give a brief synopsis about the plot of the movie? I'm really torn about this movie, while it looks great and I keep on seeing good reviews I'm just concerned that in the end it's nothing more than just seeing Sandra Bullock getting blown into space several times.

Last edited:
I've got a very hard time getting around these "main" characters. Clooney & Bullock...
I mean I've never seen anything out of either of them FILM wise that would make me want to see them in a space/drama film. Or anything dramatic for that matter. THE best Clooney film for me was The Perfect Storm,yet I felt Mark Walburg stole the show! Bullock...nothing!!! She sucks!
This is the problem with studios these days, casting mediocre actors in big budget films. I hope it flops and hollyweird gets back on track once and for all.

I'll wait for a decent torrent and/or netflix on this.

I'll wait for a decent torrent and/or netflix on this.
In the meantime if you haven't already, do consider watching Children of Men, it's on Netflix.

Others who are still looking forward to Gravity, check out Buzz Aldrin's thoughts on the film.

'Gravity' Review by Astronaut Buzz Aldrin

"I was so extravagantly impressed by the portrayal of the reality of zero gravity. Going through the space station was done just the way that I've seen people do it in reality. The spinning is going to happen -- maybe not quite that vigorous -- but certainly we've been fortunate that people haven't been in those situations yet. I think it reminds us that there really are hazards in the space business, especially in activities outside the spacecraft.

I was happy to see someone moving around the spacecraft the way George Clooney was. It really points out the degree of confusion and bumping into people, and when the tether gets caught, you're going to be pulled -- I think the simulation of the dynamics was remarkable.

We were probably not as lighthearted as Clooney and Sandra Bullock. We didn't tell too many jokes when people were in some position of jeopardy outside the spacecraft, but I think that's the humanity coming through in the characters. This movie gave great clarity to looking down and seeing the features of Earth … but there weren't enough clouds, and maybe there was too precise a delineation from space.

I know: If you're looking down at Earth, you're looking through an atmosphere that has a bit of haze in many places and not just occasional clouds. Here, the precision was remarkable, though you might need a pretty good spy telescope to see that well.

We're in a very precarious position of losing all the advancements we've made in space that we did 40 years ago, 50 years ago. From my perspective, this movie couldn't have come at a better time to really stimulate the public. I was very, very impressed with it."

Yeah.. so i saw it last night in IMAX 3d.. was blown away. Story wise, I'll admit, it's not the most complex plot.. and i was a little peeved about some slightly religious toned exposition that felt very out of place at one point.. but that's the directors right, obviously. But nothing really mattered at all, because it was a non-stop thrill ride.. and i hate that phrase. but it was. I was gripping my seat and my heart was racing the whole time.. and i HATE sandra bullock.. yet didn't even remember that seeing this.. haha.

You'll come out of this either wanting to NEVER go into space.. or like me, wanting to go even more. I would die to do a spacewalk. And if I did die? well.. i'd be ok with that too. Better than waiting for a car to kill me or something.

Seriously. beautiful. stunning. amazing visuals and long shots.

Go see it. IMAX 3d. No small screen, etc. Don't pirate the friggin thing... go see it in imax 3d. No other movie deserves it as much as this one.

ERCboxoffice: "GRAVITY is shooting the moon and headed for a $50M debut-- career bests for both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney".

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back