Dredd 3d Rifle/Shotgun aka "Widowmaker"

Re: Dredd 3d Rifle/Shotgun

What about this Beretta A302. Shape of trigger guard looks correct and positioning of ejection port match up. As well as the safety button.

One thing to bear in mind here is its not a live fire weapon on set , the firing was all cgi effect so the ejector port could just be a part of the outer casing . I'd go for spas 12 as its stated in the pre pro designs.
Hoping to have a go at one of these myself :)

One additional thing I can add to this thread: the proper "in universe" name of the weapon.

In the comics, the Judge's Shotgun is called a Widowmaker. :cool

Yeah jack , we've been calling it the widow maker on the RPB but wasn't sure of they had for the movie , hoping it does get that name as it should :)

re: Dredd 3d Rifle/Shotgun aka "Widowmaker"

I'm looking into getting a Spas 12 airsoft to start off so I can take measurements and start modeling an add on shell. I like that many of the screen guns attributes are already in place.

Note - this is my 1st time 3d modeling anything so I'm sure a lot of refinement will be necessary. Going to use Google's free 3d software.

One thing to bear in mind here is its not a live fire weapon on set , the firing was all cgi effect so the ejector port could just be a part of the outer casing . I'd go for spas 12 as its stated in the pre pro designs.
Hoping to have a go at one of these myself :)

Tango - do you have official word from the set that they didn't use a live fire weapon for this? Because it sure looks like live fire in the shots I just looked at. And I know for a fact that most of the Lawgivers firing were real blankfiring guns and not CGI.
CGI isn't used for muzzle flash very often, even on low budget movies. Real blank fire just looks better and is widely available to the film industry.

Also, I think we can safely remove the word "rifle" from this thread title. I just looked at the scene again and those are clearly 12 gauge shells being ejected from the gun when Alvarez fires.

In the comics they do have a gun called the widowmaker (Colt widowmaker 2000 shotgun smg to be exact), but I was told they did not actually call Alvarez's weapon that on set. It didn't really have an official name in the movie. Whether it was meant to be the Widowmaker is anyone's guess.
There have actually been several longer guns in the comics. One was called the lawrod, and there was the stub gun of course. But the widowmaker was the only one to be specifically labelled a shotgun (the others were rifles and laser guns)

Yeah max you may be right on some shots , the scene in the slo mo factory when you see it firing from the right side definately has cgi flash and even around the rear of the gun which is odd!
Some of the lawgivers were blank firers and some were airsoft , most of the muzzle flash is cgi . If you check the b roll footage there's no flash at all when firing them. Also the sound is full auto but the glocks are 17s and single shot.

The shotgun was a live fire gun. It was NOT cg.

Cgi was added then as its definately not real flash , especially at the rear of the gun , ill dig out the pic to show you.

Found it , if that's not cgi ill eat my hat :)
E42BE3E8-EA2E-4C89-B805-116C21EB64BB-677-00000070460BF5B7.jpg

Last edited:

I've heard the same inside info. Airsoft guns for Lawgiver non-fire scenes, blank firing glock for firing scenes, including full-autio. Though I'm not sure whey they wouldn't just use a blank firing Glock 18 for the full auto stuff. Maybe they couldn't get one and modified the G17 instead. (The G18 is essentially the same except for a small dial at the back of the slide that selects semi or full auto).

thought i would bump this back up rather than start a new thread.
has anyone got any more info/ref pics on this shotgun, i fancy having a crack at this once my lawgiver is finished, and i now have a m1100 shell ejecting airsoft shotgun to use as a base.

atb
jay

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back