Iron Man MKVII Foam and Pepakura combo build for display in man cave (First build)

Blazini

First off, I would like to say thanks to the following people for their time, efforts and generosity:

Darkside501st
STEALTH
xrobots
jackiesrockin
ironmaided
JFcustoms
EyeofSauron
labsic
Sharkhead7854
robo3687
j0wE
anyone else I missed

If you need great files or tuts, do a thread search for these members, they are monsters. Don't forget to checkout their youtube channels, facebook pages or websites for even more info and resources.

Okay, so this is my first build and it took some practicing with different mediums, tools and techniques. I started with pepping the hand plates and forearms of a MKIII HD file set. I had great success, but soon realized that there was an alternative way of creating armor that might be faster, foam.

Based on my research, foam is a quicker build but yields slightly less details when compared to pepakura. Foam also helps with ease of movement when wearing the armor. Pepping yields a more detailed piece, but it takes longer with the added steps of bodywork (bondo, sand, fill, sand, primer, sand, paint). With foam, you simply fill your gaps with silicone caulking of something similar, coat with glue to seal, coat with plastic for rigidity, lightly sand in some details, then paint.

With this knowledge, I decided to embark on a fully scaled MKVII platform to display in my man cave (my wife wont let me keep it in the living room). So far, its my favorite suit from the movies. Some pieces will be pepped, others will be a combo of 3mm, 4mm and 10mm foam.

Using a utility knife and files from Darkside501st (edited by ironmaided and jackiesrockin), I managed to create two hand plates last night. I made a novice mistake and forgot to scale them. Maybe Ill use them with the Rescue suit I want to build after this.

Here are several shots. I was proud of the curved beveled edge so I snapped a pic (third posted). Let me know what you think and please subscribe.

Re: Iron Man MKVII Foam and Pepakura combo build for display in man cave (First build

so your making a static armour for your man-cave? can suggest making it from something else, cardboard. not from card stock or its relitive pep files but by using foam files or ajusted pep files you can achive high detail in a fast time like foam...

im doing it this way, look through my youtube vids for more info if your intrested.

all the best on your build.

links below

Re: Iron Man MKVII Foam and Pepakura combo build for display in man cave (First build

so your making a static armour for your man-cave? can suggest making it from something else, cardboard.

I always wondered about Cardboard Builds, how does it work with cutting? Do you use scissors or a hobby knife? And does hot glue work on cardboard since the inside is hollowed?

Here are several shots. I was proud of the curved beveled edge so I snapped a pic (third posted). Let me know what you think and please subscribe.

Your Hand plates look awesome. Are you planning on wearing the suit or is it just for display in your man cave. Which I really want to see XD

I always wondered about Cardboard Builds, how does it work with cutting? Do you use scissors or a hobby knife? And does hot glue work on cardboard since the inside is hollowed?

HERES 44MINS OF LOVE AND HARD WORK LOL

PEPAKURA The true story...UNCUT. - YouTube

cardboard just needs to be squashed abit with the fingers to close the cavities abit, needs nothing major. see my chest piece and that will show you what you can achive!

loads of pics and vids on my website/facebook links below

Oh I seen your chest piece yesterday AWESOME

I thought it was made of metal though:facepalm[/QUOTE]

...if you thought that, then i have done my job right, thankyou for your kind comment.

Oh I seen your chest piece yesterday AWESOME

I thought it was made of metal though:facepalm

...if you thought that, then i have done my job right, thankyou for your kind comment.[/QUOTE]

And thanks for the awesome tuts and pictures

J Scorn - I will definitely checkout you links. I thought about using cardboard because of the abundant supply I have. And high detail was what I was somewhat after. Thanks for the heads up.

Justover6 - thanks for the props. Buying a house as we type, so the man cave will be another project that commences soon. It will actually be a man crow's nest since it will be in the third floor bedroom.

I guess I'm still researching and experimenting, but aren't we all?

thankyou, and dont be shy with your comments on my vids... no news is bad news lol....

here is my cardboard versions, these took 1 earth hour to do this much. these are hand foamed but can be converted from pep files. you only need one template of every section cos it can be turned around and reversed!! that saves time and card stock!

DSC_0004.jpg

all the best

more updates on my facebook

Justover6 - thanks for the props. Buying a house as we type, so the man cave will be another project that commences soon. It will actually be a man crow's nest since it will be in the third floor bedroom.

Awesome, I love to see how it come along lol.

Awesome, I love to see your progress on it!!! Any ideas?

I think that for your fist build, you would be better off with foam, since it lasts longer and its easier but nice job on thehands

AyAyAyron - I hear that. Started with pepakura. Looks great as far as detail, but there is a lot of putty and sanding. Maybe use this for pieces I am truly going to take my time with. For the most part, foam can accomplish most of the detail that pepping does via layering. Even when you take your time to foam edges and beveled cuts real clean, its still not as long as pepakura takes. The epoxy coating should clear up some of the gaps that are not wanted, then you sand to perfection! Seems you get to the sanding part quicker with foam, at least that's the way I understand it. Anyways, got laid off from my soul crushing job as a manage at Staples and decided to kill some free time with building again.

View attachment 270027View attachment 270028View attachment 270029View attachment 270030

So far, I have the back and neck foamed up. All scaled to 28 using Darkside's files that were foamitized by JFcustom, thanks guys. I chose 28 as my scale because it should build a suit with a total height of approximately 6'6" which is what the suit is supposed to be.

Also built a Batman Arkham City cowl, Stargate Anubis bucket scaled down to fit my dog Harley (15 pound miniature pinscher/rat terrier mut), MkII helmet, MKII faceplate stand that I magnetized to hold paperclips and bull clips on my desk at my new job, all from foam and all primed and ready for a coat of Epsilon from Smooth-On. Also pepped a MKI bucket and Star Wars Acolyte mask from the Old Republic, both still just paper. Waiting for warmer weather to glass them outside. That's my update, sorry it took so long. Really enjoying this hobby now more than ever so I'll actually be updating this thread more. The MKVII is my main project right now, starting the chestplate tomorrow after work, pictures to come once I'm finished. Peace

Dont know why the back piece pictures didnt show, so here they are.

back2.jpg back shoulder.jpg

Finished the upper portion of the chest plate tonight...

Chest.jpg Chest2.jpg

Torso2.jpgTorso3.jpgTorso4.jpg

Attached the chest plate to the back today. Had to make a freehand connection piece that would allow the missile pods that go over the trapezius to connect to the top of the plate. Came out pretty good, have to fix the top of the spine, but that's it. Shoulders next.

View attachment 275470View attachment 275471View attachment 275472

Attached the chest plate to the back today. Had to make a freehand connection piece that would allow the missile pods that go over the trapezius to connect to the top of the plate. Came out pretty good, have to fix the top of the spine, but that's it. Shoulders next.

i miss building a mark 7. . . great job there buddy :thumbsup

Thanks, ironmaided. I have some MKVII foam edits that you did for Darkside, definitely going to use some of them. This is my first full build and it is a fun hobby. Haven't moved past pepping/foaming yet.

Thanks, ironmaided. I have some MKVII foam edits that you did for Darkside, definitely going to use some of them. This is my first full build and it is a fun hobby. Haven't moved past pepping/foaming yet.

thanks bud! :) but honestly i will suggest you to use jfcustom's version though, i was just a noobie when i unfolded those. .keep up the good work! :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back