Star Trek TOS Communicator replica showoff!

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just bustin' my buttons to show off two new Star Trek TOS communicator builds, done for me courtesy Steve Dymszo of SD Studios! :D

P1140523-enh.jpg

First up we have the "Alpha" hero prop replica... this one is built from the dstines parts of a few years back. The shell was mastered from a casting of the actual hero screen used prop.

P1140527-enh.jpg

This was the prop often used in closeups by Leonard Nimoy, and so we call it the "Spock Hero". Here's mine compared to a screen grab from "Friday's Child".

alphas-01.jpg

And here's my "Gamma" dummy replica. This one is built from the kit by John Long. "Gamma" is famous because a black-and-white photo of it appeared in the 1968 book "The Making of Star Trek," so it's the communicator we had the best documentation on, for a couple of decades.

This kit was also mastered from a prop casting, this one from "Zeta" the disassembled communicator seen in "Patterns of Force"

P1140552-enh.jpg

There are a few details that are idealized on these two, and some things I arbitrarily asked to be changed because of personal taste. I think both of the replicas look spectacular!

P1140522-enh.jpg

Karl

Gorgeous!
All I have is the DST metal grille version. It's nice for a toy and is pretty accurate I think without having metal parts.
Looking forward to seeing what the forthcoming Roddenberry.com communicator will be like.
Any word on if John Long is still selling his comm kits?

now those are some nice lookin' communicators.

i'll post mine later this week...perhaps a side by side of MR, DSTINES, JLONG and HMS/Rodd.com

:eek Those are fantastic. I am so envious.

So the righthand rhinestone on the Alpha is green. I'd just discovered "Hero Comm" a couple days ago and been pouring through all the info there; cool stuff. I couldn't tell from the pics if that rhinestone was green or blue.

These pics originally from Herocomm.com, show the Alpha hero prop on the left, and the Zeta prop that John Long cast to make his kit (which was built for me as a replica of Gamma, which has slightly different details than Zeta)

alpha-zeta.jpg

The swarovski crystals on my comms do not necessarily match the ones on the original props though.

Karl

I always wanted one of those, those are beautiful. I never did get a original communicator but I did have one of these, and I swear the Motorola engineers were thinking "Kirk to Enterprise" when they made this, its called the Motorola Ming A1200 and was $600 when I bought one about 5 years ago. It has a smoke flip cover on it and its also touch screen.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back