Red Skull mask - New year, new build

jeffreygullett

Trying something new.

After doing a foam Iron Man build, I decided I wanted to try another type of build so I can learn a new skill.

I decided I wanted to make a silicone Red Skull mask. I picked up this head armature because its about the same size head as mine. I have a really big head so I was kind of shocked I even found this.

View attachment 136655

I really didn't want to try my hand at doing a life cast of my own head. Someday maybe.

I'm using NSP plasteline clay to sculpt on to it.

This is just the start after a couple hours. Long way to go...

View attachment 136656

View attachment 136657

View attachment 136658

Excellent work sir. I think the face is pretty spot on. :):thumbsup I envy those who can mold and sculpt, wish I could do that. I may try my hand at it one day.

And don't worry about no comments or feedback, you are doing a relatively off the beaten path build. Many people will look and say nothing about it, good or bad. Many are new and are going with more popular subjects because the amount of research material is plentiful. That is why there is usually more posts about IM, Cap Am, things of that nature. I am in the same boat with my build. Just keep moving ahead, the responses will increases towards the end. I will be watching this one.

Excellent work sir. I think the face is pretty spot on. :):thumbsup I envy those who can mold and sculpt, wish I could do that. I may try my hand at it one day.

And don't worry about no comments or feedback, you are doing a relatively off the beaten path build. Many people will look and say nothing about it, good or bad. Many are new and are going with more popular subjects because the amount of research material is plentiful. That is why there is usually more posts about IM, Cap Am, things of that nature. I am in the same boat with my build. Just keep moving ahead, the responses will increases towards the end. I will be watching this one.

Thanks for the kind words! And as for sculpting, it's really not as hard as it seems. But you do have to keep a kind of Zen mindset. But the clay is easy to manipulate so as long as you have some good reference to work off of you can just keep working it little by little until you get it exactly where you want it.

The difficult part (for me anyway) is going to be the molding and casting part. I have no experience with that. Luckily I know somebody that is a professional prop builder that might be able to help me with that part.

Thanks for the kind words! And as for sculpting, it's really not as hard as it seems. But you do have to keep a kind of Zen mindset. But the clay is easy to manipulate so as long as you have some good reference to work off of you can just keep working it little by little until you get it exactly where you want it.

The difficult part (for me anyway) is going to be the molding and casting part. I have no experience with that. Luckily I know somebody that is a professional prop builder that might be able to help me with that part.

I will keep that in mind. The final product from all that sculpting, molding and casting usually pretty nice but the process seems to be quite daunting..and expensive. I will stick to foam for now...lol. It allows a little more room for beer money.

I would love to know how youre going to cast it in silicone, thats the process I need help with. Im doing a Red Skull for comic con, and I want to do it out of silicone, or foam latex. Keep up the good work!

I would love to know how youre going to cast it in silicone, thats the process I need help with. Im doing a Red Skull for comic con, and I want to do it out of silicone, or foam latex. Keep up the good work!

Yeah that's the part I'm struggling with now. I'm looking for help from some people I know around here. I'll let you know what I figure out.

After thinking and reading about it for a while, I've developed a plan for this project.

I just ordered some Smooth On "Shell Shock" that I'm going to try using to make a 3 part mold. I also ordered a trial size of Smooth On Dragon Skin silicone.

Who knows. May or may not work. I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! Ill have to take a look at the shell shock thing. I forgot to subscribe to this thread, glad I found it again! Let me know how it goes. Any updates?

Good luck! Ill have to take a look at the shell shock thing. I forgot to subscribe to this thread, glad I found it again! Let me know how it goes. Any updates?

I have no idea if it will work or not. But I read how some people use it to create molds for silicone appliances. And I found at least one picture of somebody using it for a full head mold. It's worth a shot since I don't have the ability to make a real injection mold system.

Please take pictures and document the process, Im really interested in how things turn out. Im the same way with the injection, and the degassing. I cant afford that. I thought of making my own, but I dont think Im going to be using silicone often enough to justify the cost.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back