Jurassic World

With all this high tech genetic engineering, they should've cloned Michael Crichton to come back and write a better movie.

Maybe they'll clone Chuck Norris to beat the D-Rex... then they'll make a 100 Chuck Norris clones have call it Chuck Norris Park. But Chuck Norris won't like being a caged animal on display for b*tch ***** people, so he'll rebel against the people that run the park and destroy everyone on Chuck Norris island... it could happen.

Films like this, which are supposed to be grounded in the real world, work best when there's only one "supernatural" element for lack of a better word. Think of it like Back to the Future. You have a time machine, that's far fetched, but the film sells it because everything else in the movie is grounded pretty well. Now, if you start ADDING to that far fetched element things can get out of control pretty easily.

The original Jurassic Park has one far fetched premise which is that we can clone dinosaurs. Everything else was grounded well. Real vehicles, real environment, plausible enclosures, etc. Start adding more far fetched elements to that and things get weird and less believable. Hamster ball vehicles that don't exist and are completely impractical, raptors trained like guard dogs (not convinced that this is the case yet), and on. The more you add the sillier it gets.

So it's not that one is more far fetched than the other, it's that the combination of them has an accumulative affect.

Bingo, that's the exact reason i loved nuBSG!

y2X6RIH.gif

While I don't think it'll be a great film I don't think it'll stink either. I'm expecting a fun ride for my kids and I, nothing more.

My fingers are crossed!

He also wrote the first one, you realize?

Obviously. I'm just saying having MC write it hardly assures cinema gold. Both the book and the movie Lost World were really bad. (I think the original JP is a great read, however. I think I've read it four or five times. I read the sequel twice--a second time just to be sure I wasn't just grumpy the first time through. But nope, it was a meandering, tedious mess.)

Obviously. I'm just saying having MC write it hardly assures cinema gold. Both the book and the movie Lost World were really bad. (I think the original JP is a great read, however. I think I've read it four or five times. I read the sequel twice--a second time just to be sure I wasn't just grumpy the first time through. But nope, it was a meandering, tedious mess.)

Agreed, The Lost World read like it was written specifically to capitalize on the success of the JP movie with the hopes that they'd option his book for the sequel, which they (unfortunately) did. As bad as The Lost World book was the movie was definitely worse, a bad movie based on a crappy book.

I just hope they drop the preachy "mankind should not tamper with nature" mumbo-jumbo. Just help your darn programmers if you know they're having financial difficulties and don't bring along horny hippie guys who think it's better to unleash wild and hostile animals in a densely populated camp.

I liked the book of Prey, but some scenes were a bit contrived, like how some meek lab rat can suddenly defeat some master assassin because he needed to for the plot.

Surprised noone made that into a film, unless they did and I never heard about it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back