Kenobibale's 2013 Halloween contest entry (proof pic added to first post)

Re: Man of steel costume and physique WIP

well my full print has been ordered with fabric on demand, hopefully it won't take too long to get here. i started painting over the test print of the re-chainmailed suit to see how it would come out and i am really pleased with the results and the time it takes to do is also alot quicker now that the chainmail is so much easier to see.
P7080053.JPGP7080056.JPGP7080058.JPG

my cape fabric also arrived. its extra wide too so i am hoping to achieve a seamless cape i just can't figure out the best pattern. it looks like simple pleats but i think there is more to it than that. when i look at the cape attachment it doesn't sit the way normal pleats would, at least to my eyes. maybe i am over thinking it. if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Dude that looks awesome! Did you consider ordering one of the fine rubber glyphs some people here have made, it would make this suit really pop :)

i was toying with the idea of adding a rubber shield but in the end i decided against it. it is less upkeep and it moves and flexes with my chest better just being puff painted.

What kind of fabric are you using for your cape? I can't make up my mind, on pattern or fabric either.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

i have some stretch velvet that i think looks very good and it is extra wide so it has all the length and should yield a seamless cape, but in most of the photos it looks like a suede like fabric. and i have seem a few people going that route and it looks spot on. so i may go for that in the end. depends what looks best with my suit. as far as the pattern goes, i haven't finalised that yet. still running tests trying to get the pleats to sit right

so i am in the process of building a better body for my man of steel costume but anyway i am not seeing any great results. i am lifting 4 days a week. trying to eat as healthy as i can and i am starting to think maybe its my calories? i think i have been under eating and that has stopped any results. i have used 4 different web sites to work out my tdee for someone of my height and weight and i wanted to know what you guys think. i am six foot and 172 lbs right now. probably somewhere around 15-16% bodyfat. now my waist has been getting smaller and my arms and legs etc getting bigger but only just, but i havent seemed to drop any fat or develop a shape, just look the same as i always have. here are the different tdee calculations i got
View attachment 211667View attachment 211668View attachment 211669View attachment 211670
i have been trying to follow the leangains protocol and hit +20% on 3 of my 4 lift days and -20% on the rest which has been about 2200 and 1600-1700 on rest days and it has made me feel like crap on the rest days. i just guessed my maintenance these last five weeks and now based on these new tdee figures it looks like i have been under eating as my new calories should be around 2200 on rest and close to 3000 on lift days. could this have stalled my progress?

so my print arrived from fabric on demand today. it looks amazing, big thanks to fabric on demand for making it possible and for their fantastic customer service. is it any wonder everyone goes to them for their prints. i am already planning my next print with them. anyway i have started the long laborious task of painting the suit. it is so much easier to do with the gold chainmail pattern, although there are some areas that i couldn't get the gold chainmail to line up with the original pattern so that is the reason for the gaps. anyway i will be updating as much as possible over the next few weeks while i paint the suit. P7310042.JPGP7310043.JPG

more progress!!! also from a physique standpoint, eating about 3000 calories now tough going but it has to be done.
P8010037.JPG
slow going, worked on it for about 2 hours today, it is tough finding a comfortable position to paint in. plus it sort of strains my eyes focusing on tiny chainmail. TASM guys, i salute you, i now know your pain.

well progress has been slow i am afraid. just haven't had the will this past while but i am back on track. happy to say i have an arm and leg done and i am half way with the other arm, just have to finish it, the other leg then its onto the torso and shield. if i can i will be sewing my cape this week and running a test for the piping. i tested puffing the boots with the blue puff paint, since on the real suit the chainmail on the boots is the same colour as the rest of the suit. it is more of a dark metallic colour but i couldn't get the right mix of colour so i tried it with just the blue, doesn't look right to me. will probably just puff paint it in red.

the exercise is also coming along, made a nice routine that i have been sticking to and feel i am making good progress with it. also on top of my nutrition. by my estimates i am down to 12 percent body fat. hoping to hit 10 by halloween if not before it. i could be stricter but i know i would fall off the diet and binge eat then, so i am following iifym. and i have to say it is liberating. i am still hitting my protein, carbs and fat targets but doing so by allowing myself some chocolate and sweets etc. all in all thought i am getting 80 percent of m macros from proper food so i dont beat myself up too much.

P9080046.JPGP9080048.JPGP9080050.JPGP9080051.JPGP9080053.JPG

Re: Man of steel costume RPF Halloween contest (new pic added to first post)

well i have been working flat out to get this thing finished. have 98% of it painted. was very time consuming. only thing i was torn about was whether or not to paint the piping. i had originally intended to paint it using mcl34ns silicone method but i ran out of time and money. plus i think without the practice he recommended i probably would have ruined the suit. i did experiment with latex and adding metallic pigment to it along with puff paint, but the results were inconsistent. so in the end i decided to leave them unpainted. it bugs me but in the end i think the majority of people wouldnt notice they aren't painted and it looks better than big pools of puff paint which are hard to make look good. also couldn't decide what colour to paint the boots. the screen boots are red material with a dark metallic chain mail on them. i tried at first the navy blue paint to see what it would look like, then a mix of metallic silver and black but it was difficult getting the same mix everytime. finally i decided to settle on just painting them red. i can live with the fact they are screen accurate but it helps keep the colour when the fabric is stretched and the dreaded white out effect happens.
all thats left now is to sew the thing together. have been practicing on my machine at home, hopefully i can sew it together correctly.

updates to follow
IMG_20130920_144410.jpgIMG_20131006_124414.jpgIMG_20131007_140017.jpgIMG_20131008_144315.jpgIMG_20131008_150407.jpgIMG_20131009_142134.jpgIMG_20131011_131649.jpgIMG_20131008_144309.jpgIMG_20131008_144258.jpgIMG_20131003_152134.jpg

Last edited:

Can't wait until you start putting this together. :thumbsup

so it has been a busy few days, started on my cape
IMG_20131020_192503.jpgIMG_20131020_194427.jpgIMG_20131020_200103.jpg

its nearly finished. i have the pleats all in place, just need to trim the excess and finish the neckline. also have to rig up some sort of harness, my attachment method didn't go as planned, too much weight on the suits neckline so gonna rig up something.

as far as the suit goes, i now have both arms and legs attached. the sewing has been pretty easy, i was pretty intimated going in but sewing my star trek shirt helped for practice (ill update my star trek shirt when i get a chance). the arms went on easy enough, but the legs were tricky. i decided to alter the pattern before i had it printed to accommodate crotch zippers, and due to the nature of the costume i couldn't create a straight seam line from the crotch up without making a seam through the belt and waist piping, so i had to make a curve on it. it worked out ok, a tad misaligned on the left hip but i dont think anyone will notice. so now i have two invisible zippers in the crotch, like tasm2 suit. i originally thought they had them on the man of steel suit since there was 2 seams there for seamingly no other reason but now i am not so sure they had them. but i do. the invisible zippers weren't as bad as i was expecting. not what people make them out to be. but an invisible zipper foot is a must.
IMG_20131016_231732.jpgIMG_20131022_172856.jpgIMG_20131022_224943.jpg

also have one of the boots glued in, will be hopefully doing the other one tomorrow or the next day, and finishing my cape and sewing the legs together so i can install the zippers and back panel. then its only a matter of tidying a few things up. was hoping to have it finished for a party on sunday night but i don't think i will have time. best not to rush these things, at least it will be finished for halloween and the RPF contest :) :) :)

got the suit sewn up tonight and had my first official test fitting. boy was she tight lol. i am comparing it to my spidey4fun suit and my superman returns suit and it is just so tight compared to them. its all the puff paint i guess.

do tasm people have the same problem?

anyway, it fit thats the main thing, i got the zips installed for a u shaped entry in the back like spider-man suits. and the crotch zippers are working well. all thats left is to reinforce the seams and hem the cuffs and finish the neck line. might go over the zips again, either re do them to make them a bit longer since i cant really lift my arms over my head lol or tighten them up so they are more invisible. i didn't go too close the the zip line in case i would have to re do them, the zipper foot can be adjusted thankfully.

any way here is a pic, got me cape harness built also, will finish the cape over the weekend.
IMG_20131024_214302.jpg

haven't decided if i will wear it out on halloween, seems a shame not too but i feel i have put so much work into it i would be cowering in fear all night to prevent it from getting damaged or having a drink spilled on it or something and not have any fun.

kenobibale

This entry just needs a proof pic and a pic in the gallery. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back