Mac's Hat from The Thing

Mola Rob

Sr Member
Does anyone know where I can get a hat like the one Kurt Russell wore in The Thing? Has the manufacturer been identified or was this a one of a kind hat made for the movie?

Great question.

I don't know but I have been looking for that hat since the Movie came out and I have made numerous trips to different parts of Mexico and always came up with nada. :lol

Are there any hat makers here? I want one of the hats to wear in the nice chilly Vermont winters. I would just look so cool. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JediDave @ Dec 27 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1385193[/snapback]</div>
This thread...

It's dead, Jim.
[/b]

"I'M A DOCTOR NOT A HABERDASHERY JIM." :D

Re: Mac's Hat from The Thing

This is one place I have found that makes quite a good replica, everywhere will be pricey, the actual hat used had a plaited raw leather hatband, and wind-string, with possibly an even wider brim of 6-7". If you find a hat maker who is willing to make a custom, you would generally be asking for a fur felt hat with a 6" Montana or 4-dent Military peak and a hand-shaped brim of about 6", and refer them to stills from the movie. Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back