Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Post-release)

Re: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

I actually may break my rule of never going to the theatre to see this. I saw the first one in the theatre and I think that was the last time I was actually in a movie theatre. I'm a huge fan of the comics so I already know how the story's go but the Gordon Levitt story is something completely new that was made up for the movie and wasn't in the comics.
I'm also determined to get Marv's trench coat from the movies and Dwight's coat from the first movie.

Clive Owen will also have a small cameo as post-surgery Dwight as well as provide some voice over.

Last edited:

I hope RR does what he did with Sin City and record the audience from the premiere for a soundtrack option in the DVD/Blu-Ray.

Kinda sad that Jamie Chung is replacing Devin Aoki as Miho. Oh well, I'm still going to see it.

Kinda sad that Jamie Chung is replacing Devin Aoki as Miho. Oh well, I'm still going to see it.
For the sake of consistency I would have preferred to have Devon remain, even though I've never been a big fan of the Benihana brat.

No, because Gordon Levitt can actually act. :popcorn
BAZINGA!

OT: I've been waiting YEARS for this. I'm hella-stoked. I usually don't like actors be replaced, but the Aoki/Chung switch is OK with me (Jamie is one of the most beautiful women on Earth imo)

And is that Dennis Haysbert (the Allstate Insurance guy) reprising Michael Clarke Duncan's role? I like that choice too. MCD was in full uniform for his role, so matching physique won't be much of an issue, & Haysbert definitely has the voice to pull off the character.

I have high hopes for this flick. :thumbsup

Last edited:

i have to ask, does anybody else think that all the eye effects are way unneccessary and look stupid?

Hate to say this but my expectations are guarded. The first film was a breath of fresh air because the concept, execution and design were both original and innovative. It's a hard act to follow - plus the absence of some principal actors (Murphy, Duncan, Aoki ...) is going to make it an even tougher sell.

I'm going to add that, as much as I'm a fan of Robert Rodriguez, he doesn't seem to fare as well with his sequels. Once Upon a Time in Mexico was weaker than Desperado for sure. (I don't count El Mariachi in that trilogy), Spy Kids (1&2 were good but everything collapsed after that) and Machete/Machete Kills...

RR understands the secret to profitability is the ability to make films ahead of schedule and under budget - a skill he's mastered like nobody else since Roger Corman, really. So this film will be profitable no matter what. (Now that I think about it, the heavy recasting with new talent also means he's saving money on talent ... hmmm).

But I do want it to be great. I'm just guarded about my enthusiasm.

Last edited:

I wasn't a huge fan of the original, i mean liked it, but i do love the style they film it in. It's perfect for comic book movies, especial Noir style ones.

Saw yesterday and was quite pleased.
I am a Sin City comic fan and was reading them since Day ONE in Dark Horse Presents, and every single tale since.
So I have that bias and street cred. I was wholly satisfied by this film, the first film is the better of the two but I have a hard
time seperating them from each other, they are to me deeply entwined as the original comics were.
Obviously a lot of people moved on in the last nine years. So the hipsters aren't dazzled anymore by an act two, Mickey Rourke
isn't as cool as he once was either I guess and certainly most had never read a Sin City comic in their lives.
Christopher Lloyd had a great little part in this one. If you truly enjoyed the comics I can't see not enjoying it.
3D is a must, it was simply dazzling use of 3D, perhaps the best 3D presentation I have ever seen.

Saw it last night. Loved it. If you liked and got the first Sin City, you will like this. It's almost like no time has passed between the two films. You can watch this and the stories from the first film all as one complete piece.

I haven't seen it yet but watched Doug Walker's review and have high hopes. His basic review was that if you like the comic and liked the first movie, you will like Sin City 2. So I guess I am set.

I haven't seen it yet but watched Doug Walker's review and have high hopes. His basic review was that if you like the comic and liked the first movie, you will like Sin City 2. So I guess I am set.

My advice is hurry, it bombed and it's going out of theaters fast, especially 3D.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back