Doctor Who - Eleventh Doctor costumes

The gun belt came in yesterday, earlier than expected. Here with the G-Stars, my S5 navy braces, and my original S5 close enough shirt, which ended up looking more like the S6 when that one showed up.

DSC03235_zpsb12e03a3.jpg

Got the correct clips sewn onto my burgundy braces, and then I totally flubbed the bow tie. Had to throw it away and start over. When I make the new one I'm also going to give it a wider strap, as the knot didn't turn out as wide as it should have.

Oh man, I'm making a tenth doctor coat, and I figure eventually I'll buy one of the suits, and your picture just gave me a fantastic idea of where to wear them to.
The doctor at a renaissance fair, that'll be fun.

Slightly more on topic though, Risu, the gun belt looks beautiful there. Can't wait to see everything put together when you're done

Yea, I'm pretty happy with it. It's definitely not "hand tooled" as the description says. The majority of the tooling was done with 3 giant industrial stamps on the belt and one on the holster. In addition, every spot on the gun belt that can't be seen in the auction photos has had expenses spared. Still, it's the real deal and wasn't very expensive.

And the Doctor at Ren Faire is really fun. Some of the actors started up in character dialogues with me that time, and I went to the one in LA as the tenth Doctor last year. That one wasn't nearly as good because it was crazy hot and just in general the LA ren faire is garbage compared to the one in Colorado. Way smaller and virtually nothing to do in comparison.

Hat band is coming along. I'm probably going to switch to some kind of fabric cord for the yellow because the leather lace is too bulky.

DSC03243_zpsa3bef154.jpg

I just ordered the Cady wig in Spanish brown from Arda Wigs. Once it arrives I'll see if it can be parted for a Matt Smith style. I have my fingers crossed for this because my hair doesn't agree with being long, and I have to grow it for over half a year to get it looking right for Smith. Not super worth the effort.

Also, today I'll be patterning the S7 shirt. I have to cut the next collar size down from the pattern to fit my neck. Apparently the size medium, which is supposed to fit a 15.5" neck, actually measures 16.5". It's worse on the Simplicity shirt pattern I had, that one actually measures 16.75". I went ahead and threw that one right in the trash after looking at it. Garbage pattern all around.

So that wig I bought won't work at all. Turns out it's basically brownish red, the hair won't part, and it's all so permanently combed back I can't get it to flip forward. But what is this hobby if not throwing money in the trash?

I spent 3 hours patterning the button stand tonight. That's really all I did. And I still have to pattern the other side. Hopefully I can actually accomplish something tomorrow. I decided a couple weeks ago that the series 5 costume isn't happening, equal parts not enough time and the original Paul Smith shirt cuffs can't be used because they sewed them on with the stripes lined up wrong, then permanently bonded some crazy stiff interfacing to the back and punched some button holes through them. I'm looking into options for fabric printing that use reactive dye so the color isn't faded, the cheapest I've found yet is $600 for a 5 yard minimum.

The shirt is almost done right now, but I took this picture the other day of the under collar in progress.

DSC03268_zps8c19297d.jpg

Now that it's together, I see that it would be perfect if I moved the tab 1/4" closer to the edge and shortened it by 1/2".

After I finish the shirt, I just have to throw together a bow tie and make the tweed. Just....

This is seriously impressive work. I'll be keeping an eye out for any developments :)

Keep up the good work!

Looks like I'll be wearing this without a jacket in a week. The pattern I was given for the Shetland, which I thought was basically dead on, turns out to be pretty far from. The button and pocket placement were off by up to 3 inches and there are a number of other issues. Because the fabric is so expensive, I'd rather put it off than finish it wrong. Not the worst thing in the world, I wasn't able to find an accurate Marshal badge to pin on it and this way I can show off the shirt, braces, and gun belt. Also gives me more time to focus on my Baker frock coat, which would probably take all my remaining time anyhow. I'll still update here when I get back to the jacket, and to post the finished shirt and hat.

With the exception of the jacket, all I have left to do on this costume is the bow tie and the hat band. The hat isn't pictured here. Overall, I'm very happy with the shirt, and at this point I'll be perfectly happy showing it off without the jacket.

DSC03272_zpsd5b8680a.jpg

You don't have a green velvet/eight coat to finish it off with instead? Then you could do a mish-mash of gunslinger outfits. Fantastic shirt by the way! The fabric really is dead-on accurate.

I finished the hat band earlier today and just now attached the hardware to the bow tie. Leaving for the con in 7 hours, better get some sleep.

That would be my friend Sam, I'm pretty sure he's a member on here. After the weekend I'll search for pictures and put some up here.

I myself am needing a wig for my Eleventh Doctor cosplay and am stuck on where I can buy a good wig for my cosplay. I need this by 4th September as I am going to a Con on 8th September.

I actually think I found a decent wig option, I know it's too late for your con, but Arda sells a wig called the Westley that would possibly work after a trim, but the part is on the wrong side and they don't make it in light brown.

I've been really busy working and/or being sick all year, so I haven't made any actual progress on either of these outfits. I've also allowed myself to get dragged into THREE 7B costumes. Over the next who-knows-how-long I'll be assembling The Snowmen, Journey to the Center of the TARDIS, and Hide outfits. Hide was chosen basically because thorneyboy found the fabric I was lucky enough to get some yardage.

There is some cool news on the Mercy costume, though. Since the shirt was IDed as Paul Smith, I bought two of them, one of the IDed grey ones and one that's got blue stripes. I expect them to arrive on Monday, and I'll post pictures. They're one size up from mine, but hopefully they'll run a little slim and I can take one in to fit.

Sorry for the delay, here's a picture comparing the two Paul Smith shirts I found. I'm almost positive that the screen accurate shirt is a third color that hasn't been found yet. But I liked the blue, so I kept it.

Even though they were a size too big, a wash in hot water took the blue one's collar down in size and it fits a bit like Matt's with a lot of extra room now. The cuffs also worked out, I moved the buttons in a little and now they button at the weird modified angle his have. The shirt is really baggy though, so I'll need to put some darts in. Otherwise I'm really happy with it. I'm ordering a patch of printed fabric from Spoonflower tonight to make the tab collar.

Gathered a bunch of the Snowmen costume bits today. Got a great maroon velvet for the waistcoat, buttons for the coat and waistcoat, and sourced a perfect cashmere for the coat. I'll be picking that up next week. I grabbed a yard of striped necktie fabric as well. It's not super accurate, but it'll do the trick. Also, I've had this sitting around for about a week now.

The big one I still have to find is the trouser fabric. No luck today, but I might have better luck at B Black and Sons next week.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back