Doctor Who - Eleventh Doctor costumes

Nothing really close, the original was made out of a sold out gray silk blend with the pattern embroidered on.
It's a waiting game at this point, because if we keep emailing them, Abbyshot will probably make it and if not then one of the regulars will reweave it.

That's a misconception, the fabric is purple up close. It kinda dark with purple tint.

Care to back that up with pictures or evidence? I've always gotten the impression that the grey tends to pick up the colors around it because it's a neutral color. Hence the purple look when he's wearing purple. I don't get much of a purple vibe from it at all in Journey.

It is purple but the weave has some metallic threads in it that really absorb and reflect light in interesting ways. Everything, aside from shirts, purchased for 7b has some purple in it. That was the overarching theme. Journey is the absolute worst episode to get a good color read from because of how over processed every shot is. Even the console scenes are way too dark to be able to tell anything.

Care to back that up with pictures or evidence? I've always gotten the impression that the grey tends to pick up the colors around it because it's a neutral color. Hence the purple look when he's wearing purple. I don't get much of a purple vibe from it at all in Journey.

As you said, it doesn't look purple in the pictures you have seen, however having been at the 50th event, where modernboy was as well, I have seen a screen worn waistcoat. Even the stunt double was wearing one and having had a close up look the waistcoat whilst having my pic with the stunt double I could clearly see that it is definitely purple. That shocked me as, like your good self, I thought it was grey too. If you have a look at the Christmas costume thread you will see where I posted a comparison shot of the fob from the DWE in Cardiff, where I live and have seen the costumes many times, to a promo pic of Matt and in the promo pic you can clearly see the purple tinge on the waistcoat and not a reflective colour. Even the thread on the waistcoat buttonholes are purple.

I always thought the lighting in that picture was off, but if it's purple in person then that settles it. I don't suppose you have any pictures you could post that make the color in natural lighting a little more clear?

I recently started working on these costumes again. I finished the Snowmen/Journey pants, bought the Magnoli Journey tie, and made a temporary close enough waistcoat until the fabric gets figured out. I wore the complete Journey costume with the S6 Paul Smith shirt as a placeholder to an event last month, but didn't get any pictures. I'll try to take one soon. On black Friday, the Abbyshot 7b coat dropped to half price on Thinkgeek, so I finally caved and bought it. It needs a massive amount of alteration, but it'll definitely work. Here's a picture of everything tonight, with some pinning done on the coat.

I'm going to get the Abbyshot suspenders and the Hide bowtie soon, then I just need to sew the shirt to finish that one. I also just bought the Tie Bar 50th tie and the accurate buttons for the 50th waistcoat, so if I can track down a good fabric for that one I'll be able to put it together as well.

It was half price?! :facepalm

*sigh* the problem with being in Canada, and Black Friday being a relatively recent thing here, it doesn't always occur to you that there might be amazing online sales that day :(

Yea, they had a 30% off coupon all week and this coat went 25% off on Friday, so it came down to $215 shipped. They did it for that hideous Browncoat atrocity they're selling now the day before, so I was keeping an eye out. In retrospect, a couple friends and I regret not splitting an extra coat for new back panels, because the patterning on the back of this coat is completely illogical and wrong.

Ugh, I REALLY wish I had known. I have a closet full of "close enoughs" for the rest of the costume, but ya can't really "close enough" the coat. I'm being 11 for a group Doctor Who cosplay at Emerald City Comic Con in March, half off would have been VERY helpful. It's probably too much to hope for that they'll have a boxing day sale.

I would've probably went in on another coat too to update the back back panels too. The back of the coat really is put together more like a jacket and less like a waistcoat. No one will ever notice tho.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could fix how they did the back split too... makes it tough to slim down...

The back split is a problem? I'm looking at mine right now and it looks like they did it right except for the topstitch on the overlap and the overlap is too wide. Since I'm going to take in the center back seam of mine about an inch, I've got more than enough room to work, even if they clipped the corners.

Yeah, there's a top stitch on the overlap, which is annoying, but the material wants to fray making it tough. I had to top stitch it to get it from falling apart, but then again, I didn't have a serger at the time. I plan to do some more alterations on it when I get the chance.

So, my awesome girlfriend snapped one of the frock coats up for me during the Black Friday sale. Unfortuantely, it's a size too big. She's trying to exchange it, but is getting dicked around by ThinkGeek's customer service.

Multiple e-mails have met with vague replies that are missing pertinent information she needs to make the exchange. A call to customer service today left her on hold for 40 minutes before the call disconnected, and follow up calls were unable to connect.

She's going to call again first thing in the morning and try to get it sorted out. Needless to say, this experience is making her think twice about buying from ThinkGeek again in the future.

I've heard some really bad things lately. Their customer service used to be top notch. A friend also bought one of these on black Friday and had to exchange for size and it took him a few days to get hold of somebody. He only just got his coat a couple days ago.

I've been planning to update my series 5 bow tie for a long time, and a couple months ago I finally found a great fabric. Today I sewed this thing up. It was completely different than making a real bow tie, but pretty simple once you figure it out.

And a comparison shot with the real one.

I most likely won't be making the new jacket or doing any other upgrades on this one until after Gallifrey One, but I'm pretty happy with the whole outfit for the time being.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back