1:350 TOS Enterprise MR vs. R2 Kit

Proper

Alright, so the R2 kit has been out there for a while now. A lot of TOS Trekkie juices have been flowing just a little bit. Now that many builders out there have had a chance to inspect and maybe even build the R2 1:350 Enterprise, with or without the extra bells and whistles like lights and other extras, I would like to get some feedback on how people who may also have a MR Enterprise, or have seen it firsthand, feel about how the two juggernauts compare. Is there a clear winner between the two best mass-produced Ents or will it always be a subjective issue?

I will withhold my personal opinion for later.

I'll join you in this question, Proper, I've always wished for an MR. The only difference between us is that you have them both (albeit an unbuilt Round2) and I have only the Round2 which I plan on modding to look like the MR. I've seen those comparison photos in the other thread and the MR does look like a clear winner and that the price is justified.

Last edited:
I'll join you in this question, Proper, I've always wished for an MR. The only difference between us is that you have them both (albeit an unbuilt Round2) and I have only the Round2 which I plan on modding to look like the MR. I've seen those comparison photos in the other thread and the MR does look like a clear winner and that the price is justified.

What other thread are you referring to? I'd like to see those comp photos.

Phase Phistol's comparison photos on page 27 of this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-350-tos-e-happening-115892/index27.html

I think I may have to take back what I said - they do look really close.
And considering that the R2 is just a fraction of the price and it's something
you can build up yourself and detail to your liking - that's the real advantage.

Thanks! Those photos clearly show that the MR is a larger model! I thought they were the exact same scale, but not so. :unsure

The two models are virtually identical in size.

P1140388.jpg

P1140390.jpg

Nice! Wonder if there's a way to duplicate the look of those machined metal parts.

Yeah, those AM metal parts for the MR sure can't be beat! I wish someone was still making those. But even the original MR parts for the deflector look sharper than R2's.

Trekworks has a comparison video up on Youtube showing his built Polar Lights model (finished as a second pilot version) next to an MR prebuild. He came up with his own lighting kit for this one as he started (and practically finished) his model before the R2 light kit shipped. They look the same size to me.

Master Replicas Enterprise and Polar Lights 1/350 Scale Enterprise Side By Side - YouTube
That's a nice comparison! It almost looks like a confrontation between the U.S.S. Enterprise and the I.S.S. Enterprise seen in "Mirror, Mirror".

One thing I noticed, however; I believe TrekWorks misspoke at one point in the video. Comparing the two, at approximately 0:58 he says, "Almost all the details are exactly the same; there are some differences here because I did the second season version of it..." I believe he meant to say "I did the second pilot version of it..." Regardless, his build-up is stunning and makes me wish I had the display space (and the skills, for that matter) to build one of my own.

Trekworks has a comparison video up on Youtube showing his built Polar Lights model (finished as a second pilot version) next to an MR prebuild. He came up with his own lighting kit for this one as he started (and practically finished) his model before the R2 light kit shipped. They look the same size to me.

Master Replicas Enterprise and Polar Lights 1/350 Scale Enterprise Side By Side - YouTube

Nice video, nice ships! Yes, they are the same size... I was mistaken.

Strange that he used the production decals (serifs on the 1701 for example) and didn't open up/putty over all the correct windows for the second pilot version...

Maybe he was modeling the "Remastered" ship...

k

The machined copper and aluminum dish parts are aftermarket. Someone here did a run. The MR came with a plastic dish.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back