Blender vs Google Sketchup vs CorelCAD vs DoubleCAD vs Daz Studio Hexagon vs ???

treble

I just need some help choosing a good 3d modeling program to design armor and weapons. If you guys have other suggestions, I need something that is either free or under $100 (no student edition software please lol) and also accurate (like how Google Sketchup can do measurements up to something like 12 decimal places (.xxxxxxxxxxxx). I already have Google Sketchup and know how to use it very well. I feel like I can make things with it and send it to pepeakura designer with some time and effort. I was just wondering if there was some other program that can do the job a little better/easier.

Also, just a random thought, can CAD programs be used for this type of application? I asked a similar question a long long time ago and I think someone said it's for "weight bearing mechanical pieces" like machines, not a Master Chief/Kamen Rider helmet.

Thanks

My vote is Blender, based on price ($0), and power. I've done a few very simple polygon models & exported to Pepakura.

Blender is not easy to learn but there are many good pages/youtube videos to help.

Scaling in blender is a bit of a pain (compared to working in MicroStation, AutoCad or TurboCad), generally I draw a cube 6 inches to keep as a reference and helps when I export to Pepakura.

I prefer to support open source rather than Google.

Another suggestion, I use the portable apps version so I can carry my work with me on a thumb drive and use any PC. Blender Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Blender is without a doubt worth learning. I simply cannot recommend it enough. There are a wealth of tutorials out there, you should be able to get up and running in no time.

First time using Blender is like sitting in a Fighter Jet Cockpit.
There are so many Buttons and nothing makes Sense, but if you get in to it, its one of the best Tools out there.
There are many "Noob" Tutorials for Blender and its worth to look at them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back