Star Trek 2009 USS Enterprise model kit coming from Revell Germany

Considering the model at Nuremberg is either a 3D grown prototype model or a test shot (either of which looks like it was hastily built) I would say it is pointless right now to start trying to compare angles of sub-assemblies from side views. Looking at the sub-assemblies themselves, they seem to be correct enough and a modeler should easily be able to overcome any angle issues if they cut their teeth on old 18" AMT TOS Enterprise kits (long box ones especially).

Besides, even though the Revell TOS Enterprise has some weirdo shape issues, fit everything together and things seem to align just fine. So I expect the JJ Prise will be the same. I'll be ordering at least one from a UK based vendor and I'll do a Youtube review of it once it arrives.

According to some sources it's supposedly a grown prototype for the show.... Don't know for certain, but wouldn't surprise me..

According to some sources it's supposedly a grown prototype for the show.... Don't know for certain, but wouldn't surprise me..
According to one of the members over on Hobby Talk, who lives in Germany, the build-up for the show was made from "grown 3D parts" and is not a test shot. Regardless, JMChladek is right--if you've ever built any of the AMT TOS Enterprise kits you should be well-versed in getting everything to line up properly. :lol

That's good to hear. Hopefully they'll get the innacuracies of the nacells worked out before the model goes into production. (Less correcting work for me to do.)

I'll get one.

I initially really disliked the design, but after a while in the movie I stopped nit-picking what I didn't like and let it be the enterprise. Its is SLOWLY growing on me... The only thing I really dislike about it now is the clunky bussards... everything elseof come to terms with... Looking forward to the "refit" version of this ship :)

But wow - that must've been the fastest build ever to mis-align well everything on that display model. I sincerly hope they steal a page from R2 with the engine pylon attachement reinforcements... that baby surely is gonna need some help to avoid the sag...

Very glad that they decided to redo the scale of the ship in the movie... Star destroyer sized Enterprises compelte with their own self contained brewery was a bit much - who knew the key to warp drive was Beer... but still at 1:500 that puts the ship at nearly 1000 feet still pretty darn big.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Pretty cool ship, but every time i see it I think of it as being extra busty...if you know what I mean. DD style! Maybe it's to distract enemy ships.

I highly doubt there will be sag problems with the kit. The curved pylons should almost lock in together (likely preventing outward flex if good glue was used) and even though the model will be 23" long, that weight should be relatively well distributed even with lights fitted since the parts are hollow anyway. I don't think this model will be any harder to align than model kits of TOS or movie based ships.

...Very glad that they decided to redo the scale of the ship in the movie...but still at 1:500 that puts the ship at nearly 1000 feet still pretty darn big.
I wouldn't put too much faith in Revell's stated scale for this kit, especially considering even J.J.'s CGI crew doesn't have any exact figures for the dimensions of the "actual" ship. Using the scene of the shuttlecraft flying into the ship's hangar bay as reference, one of the members over on Hobby Talk extrapolated the ship's length as 5,836 feet. :eek

Have to admit when I first saw the new movie I was kinda pissed at ol' JJ. Alternate timeline, new ship, no Shatner cameo, all CGI no models. Since I've seen/listened to(shop background music for me!) it no less than 50 times. Not an exaggeration, no BS, probably more. After the 2nd time I fell in love. It was all about the "Rings of Saturn" scene with the E coming up out of the rings. It took me back to Wrath of Kahn when the E rises up behind the Reliant. I was sold, I accepted the new timeline idea, the fact there would not be any related tv show, & was happy they decided to carry on & restart a legacy for a new generation.

I just hope they put a lot of effort into recreating CGI born detail & figuring out the proper scale. Things like droop, sag, & small errors aren't too bad. Pylons can be re-enforced, dremels do wonders, etc..

What I'm wrapping my brain around is the lighting & effects. We've got our work cut out there. Areas like the fluid plasma channels with smooth flowing plasma, the Brussard turbines, the deflector dish, thruster effects (from Rings of Saturn scene), tons of glowing area effects.

All I can say is I can't wait, & wish I could read German!

...one of the members over on Hobby Talk extrapolated the ship's length as 5,836 feet. :eek
This pic makes it look like 20-30 feet.
A3137_KRE-O_STAR_TREK_U.S_.S_._ENTERPRISE_-_BRIDGE_.jpg

I wouldn't put too much faith in Revell's stated scale for this kit, especially considering even J.J.'s CGI crew doesn't have any exact figures for the dimensions of the "actual" ship. Using the scene of the shuttlecraft flying into the ship's hangar bay as reference, one of the members over on Hobby Talk extrapolated the ship's length as 5,836 feet. :eek

They rendered all the ships at 1:1 scale, so I would imagine they know exactly how big it is. I state this because in the BR extras they (cgi guys) said that is what they did this so they could get an incredible amount of detail. If you want to get the true size of the ship, I'd go to the CGI team for that info.

Doug

They rendered all the ships at 1:1 scale, so I would imagine they know exactly how big it is. I state this because in the BR extras they (cgi guys) said that is what they did this so they could get an incredible amount of detail. If you want to get the true size of the ship, I'd go to the CGI team for that info.

Problem is, the scale changed throughout the production of the first movie.

The biggest problem i have with this ship is all of the debate about scale. Its always nice when deciding to build a ship how it would be displayed and against what? If it relative to TOS or TNG models they would make a nice display but how do we figure out exactly where it sits in the big scheme of things. The film shots make it seem absolutely enormous but the 1/500 quoted here makes it TOS size-ish, all very confusing.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back