Medieval Green Lantern

tigerguy72

So I have ample amount of time to prepare for New Orleans comicon since it is not till 2014. So the next con I will dress up as a medieval Green Lantern. In order to progress this build I will post it on here. So to start I have my concept that I found online..
2f0dbax.jpg

Now no Green Lantern would be complete without an amazing show of his personal arsenal. So I will make a sword, a flail, and a shield. The sword will be the tricky part, I want the hilt and maybe the pommel to light up when I touch it with my Green lantern ring. That will be done later if you have any idea that yall could shine some light on I would highly appreciate it.
To bring this build to start I will work on my flail.

The main components of it will a one inch pvc pipe as the handle, a one in end cap for the pvc. A dowel rod, an eye hook, 2 chain connector, 1 hulk fist, expanding foam, and plastic chains.
2hf3m9h.jpg

2jfmuzl.jpg

Are you going with a traditional ring design or something new you create? And for the sword, are you going for a button or a more hidden switch like with the battery props?

Yeah, I can see that ring fitting the costume nicely. As for the sword, probable best to connect it from the grip of the handle to the guard at the top of the hilt, with insulating material at the shoulder, so if you grip the sword at the top of the guard, your hand is up against the guard as well and it completes the circuit.

progress so far on the flail. I've practically got 70% done on the flail. i need to seal the expanding foam, paint, seal the attachment point of the handle and the chain together. I'm planing to do that part with bondo to make it look like one piece.
28vsgsy.jpg

And this is the idea I have on the sword
316py6c.png

Last edited:
I think the symbol like that on the sword is a little awkward, like too much of the weight is on the other side of the handle. Would you consider making the symbol a little larger and having the handle go through the center of it, so it would surround your hand as you hold the sword? It would look pretty cool then, as if the sword were emanating and circling the ring.

yay update time
so i applied a layer of bondo on the expanding foam to make the chain connection part solid and sanded that puppy down. then i will need to pour rondo into the pvc pipe when i connected the chain to the handle so it looks flush and not swingy.
350szea.jpg

21n1phs.jpg

once thats done its ready to prime and paint
sces0z.jpg

yay update time!!
So I'm waiting to get paint to get my flail done, so i decided to build everything first and paint later.
In light of this idea I started on my shield. I finished the build now its just to harden the bashing part of the shield and paint,
snp62s.jpg
2l9lks3.jpg
2e1xg20.jpg

but I am thinking about pouring rondo on the backside and carving in the oath on the backside.
4fxu7o.jpg
Well that's it for updates for now.

Loving the idea and concept. The Hulk hand = brilliant. I will be EXTREMELY curious as to how you are finishing/making the sword. I am currently starting a Green Lantern Casey Jones and was trying to figure out a good way to make a glowing green hockey stick construct. I was just going to settle for neon green spray paint.

And when you say "hardening the shield", do you just refer to the Rondo?

Once again, loving this already.

when I said hardening the bashing part of the shield, I was talking about the little green dome I made with floral foam and cardboard. The only thing is I don't know if I would have to seal it with something before I pour rondo or not.

and guys really all this encouragement really helps me out on my end.

btw this is the paint plan for the shield minus the red lines
2ev6gr4.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back