X Plane From X Men 2

Re: X Plane From X Men

How did I miss this? One of my favourite fictitional aircraft and here she is! Looks great!

Re: X Plane From X Men

Excellent tape-and-primer method, Al. I didn't get it at first. But that means those are pinstriping tape all over the ship. Very cool idea.

Re: X Plane

No it's the X Jet from X-Men which does look alike the Blackbird which I'm guessing they styled it after.
Chris Claremont was (is?) a huge fan of flying things. It's a modified SR-71 (sort of). Obviously it's like 10x the size of a real SR-71 in order to fit the cargo and passengers. The real SR-71 barely fit the pilot and photographer.

OK, big change. after doing a test with the tape and Primer method I said no way. didn't give me the look I wanted. so I ended up scribing the panel lines. its wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I found this thick fine line tape and the exacto blade stayed true to the edge of the tape allowing me to make some nice panel lines. im still using the primer to add thickness to the upper X and engine vents. So heres a few pics while I scribe the underside. should have this in silicone this weekend.

Thanks for Looking.

Al

This is ready for Molding, got all scribing done and just need to remove some of the adhesive from the vinyl masks and build a mold box. I scribed out the areas for the engine intake cut outs. just some clean up and I should have a fiberglass copy by next weekend.

thanks for looking.

Al

What kind of tape were you using as a guide? Did it bend easily for the curves or di you have to free hand those parts a bit?

Also, were you just using the back side of an exacto blade to scribe the lines? I think I've heard of people snapping the tip of their exacto blade to get a good scribing tool.

I'm hoping to carve out some panel lines soon and am trying to pic down the exact techniques I want to use. These look really good.

Im using 3M automotive fine line tape. And it can bend any way you want it. I did use the broken off tip of an exacto blade.

If you wipe down the surface the tape sticks and can be bent into any shape you need. The trick is dont stretch the tape to much. Plus after you lay it down make sure to take a finger and press it down firmly, then with a few passes of the exacto blade starting lightly at first it will follow the tape and it gives some great results.

I see your in Austin. If you ever make it down to San Antonio let me know.

Al

I've been meaning to do a trip to San Antonio lately. Got several old friends out there. I'll keep you in mind!

The panel lines look much better this way, they have
some depth now that always sets it off! Looking great
will be cool to see the molding and FB work ahead!

Finally started to mold this thing. got all the wings boxed up and the main body started. heres a quick run through. all i need to do is back this up with ultrcal and flip over and repeat for the other side.

Al

In the last picture you added more rubber over the canopy,
was that just to make it a little thicker there....or were you
just using up what you had left?

In the last picture you added more rubber over the canopy,
was that just to make it a little thicker there....or were you
just using up what you had left?

It was a little thin on top. So i mixed a small batch and added the thickening agent and poured on top. It wasnt bad just wanted a little more silicone there
Just to be safe.

Will post more tonight with the backing. And will flip over and start on the other side.

Al

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back