Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case, I want a set of true 10's clear and I'm ready to wear these shoes already! When I got the shoes one didn't light up and instead of wearing them I went straight into mod mode. That wasn't my plan.

I would have worn them anyway. If you have been like the rest of us and been hanging out for these since 1989, then you just cop no lights on the chin and still wear them.

Awesome to know you have both the tools and the skill. I would love a pressure pot. When I got the vacuum chamber, it seemed like so much money for what I was going to do with it, yet since owning it, have got so much work out of it including it serving double duty as apart of my vacuum former.

Back to the shoe, I can only work with what I have. And given the cost of these shoes and the cost of the product, there is no way am I going to buy a pair of each size just to acquire a base part to use as a template. I am happy to cut a deal with people to get their soles, but as it turns out, I really need to shoes on hand to make sure the master parts actually fit because I am modding them to make these outriggers.

@Jedifyfe i wanted to ask you if the airbush is a must have to paint well in black the mid soles, or i can have a very good result with brushes from angelus for example, knowing that i am a beginner in modding i don't mind spending a whole day on it but it is just to know if the result will be decent.

Another question was about the toe box mod, i know that on the HC, when you iron steam mod it, you can feel the box with your toes and i needed to know if it is the same on the v2 or it can be done without worrying about this before to start doing anything, because those mags will be a daily wear.

@Jedifyfe i wanted to ask you if the airbush is a must have to paint well in black the mid soles, or i can have a very good result with brushes from angelus for example, knowing that i am a beginner in modding i don't mind spending a whole day on it but it is just to know if the result will be decent.

I had success repainting my midsoles with a small brush, watering down the paint slightly so it would not get rid of the texture, and a bit of patience, doing some at a time every day with thin coats. Luckily, it was summer at the time so the paint dried reasonably quickly. Just take your time and don't apply the paint too thick or water down the paint too much and you won't get drips, brush marks or lose the texture. If you use an airbrush you'd have to be very, very careful taping everything you didn't want to paint. Then again, patience is a virtue with any mod, some more than others I've seen here. I imagine Jedifyfe and Cavx both have lots of patience, for an example (I know there's more).

- - - Updated - - -

I would have worn them anyway. If you have been like the rest of us and been hanging out for these since 1989, then you just cop no lights on the chin and still wear them.

Lol yep cos people like me immediately had to get multiple pairs of even the inaccurate V1's when they first appeared, let alone when the V2s came out. :D
Such a pity my feet were too big for the MP's I bought all those years ago...

What paint did you use Jedifyfe , those fett mid soles and heel cups look mint

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
What paint did you use @Jedifyfe , those fett mid soles and heel cups look mint 

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

i didn't paint these shoes myself. My friend who is a local shoe customizer painted them. I believe he used Angelus paints but he said the key is to prep the shoes really really well before painting.

Another question was about the toe box mod, i know that on the HC, when you iron steam mod it, you can feel the box with your toes and i needed to know if it is the same on the v2 or it can be done without worrying about this before to start doing anything, because those mags will be a daily wear.
Yes, you can use brushes.

Personally, the steam method should be a last resort. It looks 70% accurate but will always have wrinkles and that "muffin top" look.

Anyone repainting midsoles? Right now I'm painting them with angelus light grey paint. Prepping the soles with angelus shoe cleaner, and leather preparer and deglazer.

Last edited:
I found their light grey to be too dark. Ended up mixing black and white to get a closer match to the Rd grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found their light grey to be too dark. Ended up mixing black and white to get a closer match to the Rd grey.

How much black and white did you use? I did add a little more white to the light grey. I'm getting some good results

I followed this tutorial to paint my midsoles:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZxkCac3e9k
The white angelus lighten the actual dark grey midsoles and you've got this particular tint (light bluish grey) very close to the RDs and screen used

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440872651.650998.jpg

I used Angelus Turquoise for the splatters.

How much black and white did you use? I did add a little more white to the light grey. I'm getting some good results

Honestly couldn't tell you the ratio. I bought the tamiya primer grey that Jedi says is an exact match for the rd mags then just added very small amounts of black to the white Angelus until it matched the tamiya grey.

Nice! Just watched the video, not sure I dig the partial repaint and having two tones of turquoise, I'm doing a complete repaint. more work but better results.....I hope!

Nice! Just watched the video, not sure I dig the partial repaint and having two tones of turquoise, I'm doing a complete repaint. more work but better results.....I hope!

I did not follow the part when he put some alcohol seeing old splatters.
I covered everything with light layers of white and put my own turquoise splatters.
Do you see 2 tons of turquoise on mine?

I did not follow the part when he put some alcohol seeing old splatters.
I covered everything with light layers of white and put my own turquoise splatters.
Do you see 2 tons of turquoise on mine?

No yours actually looks pretty freakin good, The water and white paint is a good idea as a primer as opposed to stripping the paint completely off of the soles

Thanks amazen.
My pair is only for display, I never walked on concrete or something so I can't confirm how long the Angelus paint last on Mags...

Vormz I think if you throw a matte clear coat on them that should do the trick. The ones I have are for experimental use like dying the soles (that was a fail) painting the midsoles and a few other cosmetic touch ups. I actually have Jefifyfe modding me a pair, those will be strictly for display.

Here's a picture of one I'm working on now. The soles and upper have been completely removed for the repaint of the midsole. I used a can of rustoleum satin lagoon for the splatter. By very lightly pushing the nozzle you can get a splatter effect.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440875599.650813.jpg

At first I put the Angelus mate finisher and it was very glossy but protect the paint I did.
So I sprayed some mate on it, the same I used to frost the leds area and it was fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back