Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes these are the ones I was talking about. They are small enough to fit just about anywhere. I'm using a 3.7v battery, but they work with voltages ranging from 2.2-5v.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

what difference does it make to the el panel colour of the v3?
is it coming out the same shade as normal on the V3?
the inverter you've used vs the standard inverter on the v3?

i found that the actual shade of the V3 El panel seperately lit up is blue rather than turquoise as it normally comes with the shoe.

what difference does it make to the el panel colour of the v3?
is it coming out the same shade as normal on the V3?
the inverter you've used vs the standard inverter on the v3?

i found that the actual shade of the V3 El panel seperately lit up is blue rather than turquoise as it normally comes with the shoe.
OK well to be honest, I can't tell you if the color is correct as I don't own the V3s, only a few parts such as the sole and straps, nor do I have an inverter from one, although I'm working on it. I own a nice snap on circuit tester that reads hz(frequency) and here's what I can tell you: the little inverters that come with the mark poon kit run at about 5,000hz and turn the V3 el panels a shade of blue close to that of the V2 blue LEDs in the soles. Several other inverters I tried ran at about 2500hz and produced a lighter blue. Running the el straight out of a us electrical outlet (120v @ 60hz) turns the el a green color. Now these inverters I just got run at about 400hz. I think the color should be close, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Lol well if you purchase one of those el night lights, the el plugs directly into the outlet, there's no inverter.

Lol well if you purchase one of those el night lights, the el plugs directly into the outlet, there's no inverter.

I wonder what they do for those in countries with a 240V, 50Hz supply?

Hey there! Long time no see. A couple years and 158 pages of posts ago I summarized this thread up to that point. I'm sorry to say I haven't kept up since then.

One of the el panels on one of my mags recently died, and I'd like to replace it, ideally with the same color I had before. Unfortunately the original panel (I used this one) is no longer for sale. I've bought a couple panels off ebay, but none seem to match very well and are far dimmer.

It sounds like more accurate el panels may have been found, but I'd just like to match the color used elsewhere on my shoes as best as possible. Any suggested sellers?

What I am trying to match:
20170514_200127.jpg20170514_201149.jpg

Thank you much!

Last edited:
Hey there! Long time no see. A couple years and 158 pages of posts ago I summarized this thread up to that point. I'm sorry to say I haven't kept up since then.

One of the el panels on one of my mags recently died, and I'd like to replace it, ideally with the same color I had before. Unfortunately the original panel (I used this one) is no longer for sale. I've bought a couple panels off ebay, but none seem to match very well and are far dimmer.

It sounds like more accurate el panels may have been found, but I'd just like to match the color used elsewhere on my shoes as best as possible. Any suggested sellers?

What I am trying to match:
View attachment 728827View attachment 728828

Thank you much!

We have actually learned a lot since your last post here and one of those things is that the EL sheet glows more blue with higher frequencies. We are not 100% sure what frequency is needed to keep the CYAN EL panel the correct colour, but we do know that with inverters operating close to 360Hz, that even white panel will appear bluish. CYAN is equal parts of GREEN and BLUE. If you push blue, you change the colour.

So in the end, it is not just the colour of the panel, but the frequency of the inverter. Even GREEN panel could appear CYAN if used at a high enough frequency.

We have actually learned a lot since your last post here and one of those things is that the EL sheet glows more blue with higher frequencies. We are not 100% sure what frequency is needed to keep the CYAN EL panel the correct colour, but we do know that with inverters operating close to 360Hz, that even white panel will appear bluish. CYAN is equal parts of GREEN and BLUE. If you push blue, you change the colour.

So in the end, it is not just the colour of the panel, but the frequency of the inverter. Even GREEN panel could appear CYAN if used at a high enough frequency.

Interesting, I didn't know that! I'm using the cl-iptc-9v-3-7ft inverter, which apparently operates at 3Khz. A couple years ago that was the go-to inverter. Is anyone with them or another 3Khz inverter have an el panel recommendation? Or perhaps there is a formula for estimating color output based on frequency? I can try some other panels, but was hoping to save some time with a recommendation.

Interesting, I didn't know that! I'm using the cl-iptc-9v-3-7ft inverter, which apparently operates at 3Khz. A couple years ago that was the go-to inverter. Is anyone with them or another 3Khz inverter have an el panel recommendation? Or perhaps there is a formula for estimating color output based on frequency? I can try some other panels, but was hoping to save some time with a recommendation.

I thought the frequencies were in the thousands too. But apparently someone measured them to find then running between 250Hz and 360Hz. It seems that the faster they run, the more blue they tend to push.

And also (and this blew my mind) the inverter takes the 9V DC and converts it to 120V AC! Any wonder you get a sting when you touch them on the terminals.

I thought the frequencies were in the thousands too. But apparently someone measured them to find then running between 250Hz and 360Hz. It seems that the faster they run, the more blue they tend to push.

And also (and this blew my mind) the inverter takes the 9V DC and converts it to 120V AC! Any wonder you get a sting when you touch them on the terminals.

That is interesting, I guess that makes sense. 120V AC is what we have coming out of the outlet here in the US. I imagine that helps limit conversion issues if it is designed to work for a standard like that.

What I have definitely looks more green than blue. The "aqua" panels I've tried with this inverter look bluer than I need. I may need to go with a green panel like this one next.

Here you can see my original panel on the left, and an aqua eBay panel test fitted on the right. The one on the left is brighter and matches my straps.

unnamed.jpg

Ok, I may have just avoided this whole dilemma! I tried ironing my original el panel, and it came back to life! It must have just delaminated! Thank goodness. I don't wear these, so they don't need to be durable. I think I found my solution. We'll see if it still works when re-installed.

That is interesting, I guess that makes sense. 120V AC is what we have coming out of the outlet here in the US. I imagine that helps limit conversion issues if it is designed to work for a standard like that.

What I have definitely looks more green than blue. The "aqua" panels I've tried with this inverter look bluer than I need. I may need to go with a green panel like this one next.

Here you can see my original panel on the left, and an aqua eBay panel test fitted on the right. The one on the left is brighter and matches my straps.

View attachment 729272

you also need to bear in mind the yellow soles.

On most of the previous V2 modifies ones I did, because the soles were already yellowing, the aqua (slightly blue) EL panels looked more green and looked cyan when behind the clear yellow rubber so they looked fine.
The straps however looked more blue as thats what the actual colour of panel was.

It was only until i put them EL Panels under Cavx clear soles that you could see the Panels were not the correct shade to begin with, they were Blue aqua rather than Cyan green type.

These other precut panels I have now are more or less Cyan exactly when using a 3v or 9v standard thin inverter that we've used previously.

Also, I was looking at some screen used pairs images, and the Panels look more green as the clear soles have yellowed. I'm guessing the RD 2011 shoe they must have matched the EL panel colour to the screen used one, but as long as your EL panel looks cyanish it should be fine.

Yes airair, a very good point about the colour filter effect of the yellow soles. Yes it will pull out the blue making cyan appear more green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back