Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick post some pics :)

Upon closer inspection the buckle sticks out a bitwhen the inverter is in there so i either have to remove just a tad more from the buckle in depth and width and it should be fine or fit it somewhere else in the shoe.

pics below

ldmrkcF.jpg

XsNJY6K.jpg

ZjUUJZy.jpg

78k4LY7.jpg

I've tested and re tested. The green lights are the dimmest lights and yellow and red are only slightly brighter. There is just too much voltage drop with these 12v LEDs. I don't know how Taff did it, but these don't work. Jedifyfe, where do you buy your LEDs and resistors from?

Last edited:
Noob here... I've been reading this thread for a few weeks. You guys are amazing with this mod. BTTF 2 is my all-time favorite flick. I was one of those guys that signed the online petition back in 2006 to try and get Nike to release the Mags and then when they finally did and I saw the price, needless to say I was deflated. But you guys have brought me hope!!! I've ordered a bunch of stuff off the shopping list, have received my mags from Ali Express last weekend (no issues to report), and once I get some more of the other materials, I'm going to try and go with the 9v battery in sole mod. Anyway, thanks to all you guys for inspiring me to get into something I normally wouldn't.

I've tested and re tested. The green lights are the dimmest lights and yellow and red are only slightly brighter. There is just too much voltage drop with these 12v LEDs. I don't know how Taff did it, but these don't work.
Like Taff, I did not use a resister when I wired all 12 in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative).

DSCF3889.JPG

Here are the specs for the Red LEDs I bought -

LED 3mm Red Diffused 40mcd

Specifications
Size (mm) 3
Colour Red
Lens Diffused
Viewing Angle (Degrees) 45
Wavelength (nm) 650
IF Typical (mA) 15
VF Typical (V) 2.3
IV Typical (mcd) 40
IF Max Continuous (mA) 15
Preferred Series Resistor (ohms)
5VDC 180
9VDC 470
12VDC 680

Cost $0.20each

They are pretty bright.

Like Taff, I did not use a resister when I wired all 12 in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative).

View attachment 178639

Here are the specs for the Red LEDs I bought -

LED 3mm Red Diffused 40mcd

Specifications
Size (mm) 3
Colour Red
Lens Diffused
Viewing Angle (Degrees) 45
Wavelength (nm) 650
IF Typical (mA) 15
VF Typical (V) 2.3
IV Typical (mcd) 40
IF Max Continuous (mA) 15
Preferred Series Resistor (ohms)
5VDC 180
9VDC 470
12VDC 680

Cost $0.20each

They are pretty bright.

+1 on djjeremy's comment.

I'm no expert, but if you're using 2.x volt LEDs and not 12v LEDs, you must use a resistor of some sort. You say they are pretty bright at the moment... probably because more current is flowing through them than intended, and this will shorten their lifespan.

Link please?

Jaycar Electronics - Search Results for 3mm led diffused

Just an FYI, while it may work without using an appropriate resister, prolonged use will burn the LEDs out.

+1 on djjeremy's comment.

I'm no expert, but if you're using 2.x volt LEDs and not 12v LEDs, you must use a resistor of some sort. You say they are pretty bright at the moment... probably because more current is flowing through them than intended, and this will shorten their lifespan.

I have not tested them for long periods, so I guess time will tell. There are 12 LEDs connected in Parallel, so the 9V is distributed evenly across 12 LEDs which should be 0.75V each at full charge and less over time. This does not take into account any drops by the LEDs themselves.

I have not tested them for long periods, so I guess time will tell. There are 12 LEDs connected in Parallel, so the 9V is distributed evenly across 12 LEDs which should be 0.75V each at full charge and less over time. This does not take into account any drops by the LEDs themselves.

I think there is more to it than just spreading the voltage over the LEDs. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Well I'd hate to tear open my shoes again should any of the LEDs burn out. So I'm not taking any chances and utilizing resistors. Yes its an extra step, but I think the short term sacrifice should result in a long term benefit.

I'm sorry to announce that I will NOT be offering any straps for sale. Unfortunately the geniuses back at the factory thought it would be funny to send me multiple straps for the same one shoe. Sorry guys. I'm just as bummed about it as you are.

You can flip the straps on the shoes.

After some 3D rendering in my head I see what you mean. The only downside to doing that is the vertical alignment of the logos on the straps since the logos are not perfectly centered up and down. But hey, when you're given lemons..

I think there is more to it than just spreading the voltage over the LEDs. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I as I understand it, the resister is only there to lower the the voltage. Typically most calculations are for one LED per circuit, so depending on the power supply, you need to compensate to prevent overload. Here are 12 LEDs running off the same circuit.

I'm sure you have all heard of BOSE speakers. Years ago, their flagship speaker called the 901. It was legendary because it pioneered a lot to tech that is still used today. The speaker's claim to fame was that it had "unlimited input power in non-commercial applications". Was it really bullet proof? No. It used 9 x 0.9ohm drivers connected in series. Each driver was about 50w and combined, the system could be powered to 450w. And at the time, the largest home amplifier was about 200w per channel.

BOSE could have achieved the same result in parallel if he used 9 x 72ohm drivers. He didn't do it this way because getting the DC resistance over 8 ohms is challenge. The end result would have been the same.

I made one similar once using 8 x 4ohm drivers in a series/parallel circuit and it played loud and I powered it with pro amps and never blew it up. Crap sound by comparison to what a decent tweeter and crossover will give, but proof that the concept worked.

I have experimented with both series and parallel circuits and even combinations for these LEDs. One of the benefits a series connection could give is a progressive power loss indication - IE as the power drops off, so do some of the LEDs. So if the LEDs were wired in series from RED, then YELLOW, then GREEN, the only time the last green LED is lit is at full charge. As the battery goes flat, green LEDs would be the first to go. It would be kind of cool to see that when you have just RED lit your batteries are getting low. The issue is that the LED on the end of the chain starts to dim first.

A Series/Parallel circuit would allow the same effect, but have all LEDs in their color row dim at the same time. This would require the four LEDs in each row to be wired in parallel and have the three rows in series starting at RED.

A straight out parallel circuit as I have done is easy and has all 12 LEDs progressively dim at the same time.

If the LEDs were to burn out, they would do so the moment you connected power. I don't think I will have a problem and if I do, it is DIY and I can repair it.

Just an FYI, while it may work without using an appropriate resister, prolonged use will burn the LEDs out.

If your running the leds off a 12v(+) battery ye i could see this being a danger to the LED, however using 9v battery with 12v LEDs is not a threat in my opinion.

I must also add that i wear my mags ALOT and still no problems nor do i expect any with the amount of stress testing i did.

Oh thought was best to post a few pics of my second pair of mags while i finally have some time (wedding soon!) Just got the ironing of the ribs left to do

Attachments

• 8eDlzCI.jpg
    8eDlzCI.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 167
  • hLUw6PA.jpg
    hLUw6PA.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 168
Taff, how did you get your 12v LEDs to be so bright? The ones I have are very dim. I've checked and tested and made sure the soldering connections were good enough and I get the same result.

I soldered them like Jedifyfe does. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but you never know.

I just soldered up a board last night with the 12v LEDs, and they too are dim like MitasTouch's. (from led-switch.com) They are evenly lit, but dim.

My first board with regular 2v LEDs and resistors are *much* brighter. The green is dimmer than the red and yellow like I mentioned before, but it looks worlds better overall than the 12v LEDs on my new board without resistors. Obviously I have options and will use what looks better, but yeah it's puzzling why the 12v ones don't look good....

Bang on taff! Been a wile since a pic of a pair has been posted. I do like my pics lol
Like a bus , you wait around for one and you get 2 at once! Lol

A great pair of pairs of mags mate.
Good luck with the wedding! Let's hope our UK weather holds out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back