Advice wanted: Vi from League of Legends

Tsaumia

I was looking at building Vi from League of Legends.
Vi_Splash.jpg

She is a really neat costume, but I'm not really sure where to start. I can handle all of the fabric that I'll be sewing. I went to PAX as Riven this last year, and that was about as simple as my costume got. I really am just having a hard time envisioning what the gloves should work like. They're supposed to move (open and close) and have a couple of small moving parts. I want to make it so that they are basically extensions of my hands that open and close with my own fingers.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that would be able to show me how to accomplish this?

Or maybe look for Hellboy build or tutorial threads, where people are dealing with a similar engineering task...

A friend of mine and I were discussing costumes recently and League came up and he suggested I do this (I really do love pink hair...). The links that LadyMdej should put you in the right direction. You'll probably want to find something super light weight though, otherwise your arms will get tired in an hour at most. Vacuformed PETG would be ideal. I haven't done any puppetry on this scale, the only thing I can add would be to try running individual cords to each knuckle, so that you can grip the fist tighter. Otherwise the fingers will only move the ~4 inches or so that your hands actually move.

I know it sucks to say, but you also might want to consider just not making the hands animatronic. Or at the very least, plan to make them static and try making them animatronic after building the rest of the costume. Even if the fists were static, I think this could be a really killer build and look really imposing!

A friend of mine and I were discussing costumes recently and League came up and he suggested I do this (I really do love pink hair...). The links that LadyMdej should put you in the right direction. You'll probably want to find something super light weight though, otherwise your arms will get tired in an hour at most. Vacuformed PETG would be ideal. I haven't done any puppetry on this scale, the only thing I can add would be to try running individual cords to each knuckle, so that you can grip the fist tighter. Otherwise the fingers will only move the ~4 inches or so that your hands actually move.

I know it sucks to say, but you also might want to consider just not making the hands animatronic. Or at the very least, plan to make them static and try making them animatronic after building the rest of the costume. Even if the fists were static, I think this could be a really killer build and look really imposing!

I agree with msleeper, if you just wanted to whip them out for a Con, then maybe Static is the way to go for now. remember the HULK hands that mattel came out with a few years ago?? do something maybe like that... only bigger, much bigger. Then later you could de-construct them and use cables and springs to do an oldschool animitronic puppet deal to them.

Good Luck!

I'm not too concerned about time, I have until late August for PAX, lol. I have a lot of time to figure this out.

Gonna go read those links, thank you!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back