My Completed Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control Conversion

kursosawa

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone, this is a project i started some weeks ago after studying NMR's conversion though there are a few differences in my sonic's construction. I got caught up in the flurry of work, so sadly, i forgot to take pics along part of the way.

first is the battery pack. Instead of keeping the green shaft from the CO toy intact, I decided to create a separate battery/sound board pack that would be stationary near the back end of the sonic. First, i cut the shaft down to size unseated the sound board, hollowed out the tube so I could move the soundboard back about half a centimeter. I also cut out the momentary switch in the back of the module so make a little more space.

After sealing up the module, I glued it to the back end of the black casing near the pommel end of the sonic, cutting away part of the black housing so I could retain access to the batteries. I then cut out the swith originally wired to the board and replaced it with a larger switch and ran the wire through a hole in the casing. I then cut a notch out of the rubber portion to seat the new, larger, momentary switch. In order to keep everything in place, I glued the portion of the black housing i cut away into the side of the white handle, to ensure a snug fit. I then used a small brass slotted screw to hold it in place when closed. The sound module fits snugly into the copper end cap, thus there is no risk of sliding off.

Here is pretty much where I completely forgot to take pics. First, I stripped off the coating on the aluminum parts. Secondly, I really did not like the look of the CO toy shaft with all the buttons and seams. Thus, I cleaned up the shaft with a bit of putty and made a master mold of the shaft which had a 1/4 inch ID hole in the middle for me to fit an aluminum pipe to ensure rigidity. I had also molded the green emitter. The shaft and emitter where then cast in green tinted clear resin. While A great deal darker than the prop, I rather like it. I trimmed out the channels of the copper cage to make room for the sliding action. Furthermore, I hollowed out part of the interior sides of the aluminum parts which hold them to the copper cage but left enough to act as posts which slide into holes drilled into the resin shaft, that way, it ensures a strong bond between the shaft and the aluminum cage.

The Last part was the largest pain in the back side....those damn claws. I used NMR's L shaped strut idea to hold the claws in place. However, I used 4 torsion springs to hold the open position of the claws when the sonic is deployed. I used a small grey ring that came from the emitter end of CO toy and mounted it on the green shaft under the claws in order to hold the claws open. The eerie thing is that is the grey ring is exactly the same OD as the ID in the opening on the copper cage so it slides in and out smoothly! The tolerances on this this thing is pretty tight, especially on the shaft, which makes helps in keeping the sonic closed.

Enough talking, here are the final results.

and a few pics with my MFX Sonic for good measure.

Last edited:
Re: Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control Conversion

and here is a little video of the sonic in action along with how to access the battery casing. I forgot to mention, since the battery case is stationary, it can be accessed weather or not the sonic is extended.

Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control Conversion

I may be doing another conversion shortly, so I will be sure to take pics of the modifications not pictured (namely the castings of the green shaft)

Now I want to cast the green bit in the body as well. I was just going to paint it, but this looks great.

Just a quick update, I've got a few of these conversions cooking so here a few in progress pics:

As stated earlier, the shafts are reinforced with an aluminum pipe for strength...and it looks kinda cool with it in there.

and a couple of spare emitter gems i cast up with some spare resin.

Last edited:
What kind of resin did you use? The crystal clear stuff from smooth-on? I'm thinking of trying the stuff they have at Michael's for cheapness reasons.

I use a semi transparent resin from Silpak called Slowcast along with a custom mixed green dye. It runs about 20 bucks a quart.

A few promised updates of the WIP's

Pic of the original holding bracket (right) which are trimmed down to serve as posts which anchor the aluminum cage to the shaft (right)

After the pins are hammered out and the aluminum cage removed, I cut the black housing down as shown. The long portion is discarded and the remainder is glued to the copper cage. This is what keeps the front and back half together.

Claws for 3 sonics trimmed and polished.

another shot of the aluminum bracket trimmed down - the lip that is retained just above the post is what stops the extending action.

To the folks whos sonics I am working on: It appears that I have come down with nasty bug, (fever, muscle aches, coughing, ya know). And as I'm not too keen to dremeling these things while hocking up a lung, I hope you don't mind my taking a break for a day or two. An ill timed cough and a slip of the dremel tool can ruin anyone's day...:cry

Last edited:
Finally back on my feet! Got the copper cages trimmed, brackets cut, and they have been JB welded into place. Now to let them cure. Pics to come tomorrow.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Got a little to excited when finishing these and forgot to post progress. Anyhow, on to the pics

The trimmed copper cage with the twist lock portion of the original black housing glued in. It's a sturdy connection and I have yet to have the thing fly off the back end of the sonic when flicking the thing.

These are the trosion springs used to spring load the sonics. they come from 1/8 inch drywall anchors from any hardware store.

I decided to make a mold of the spacer piece I used to limit the opening action of the claws. - making the mold held me up for two days, but I think it was worth it. the new piece is stronger than the original CO toy part.

and finally pics of the finished sonics (mine is the one on top)

At this point the glue is drying/setting in the pommels.

cheers!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back