Crackerjazz' 1/10 Lunar Module LM-5 Eagle Ascent Stage

Hmm, I deleted my own post by mistake trying to add something. Anyway, thanks guys, glad you like it so far. I did some good progress on this oddly-shaped spacecraft. I'll skip over that engine bell panel at the bottom for later as I try to figure where to place a mounting point.

25jan001.jpg

25jan003.jpg

25jan004.jpg

25jan005.jpg

When building something scartch usually always make little mistakes, but after work is much better than the last.
Constructing the eagle is a big hit!, Really all threads "General Modeling" this thread has me very excited. I want to see more progress and not be left behind ...:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Greetings!

I was looking at the shape of my first RCS bell and something just didn't look right. The curve was too pronounced. So I searched for the perfect close-up shots of the RCS thrusters and came across these very good references, even an actual cross-section. It was interesting to know they used the same Marquardt R4D thrusters on the CSM. The ribs are clearly visible here - square-edged with fillets where they meet the bell. They look to be aluminum with bronze-colored staining in places.

1. FS: Apollo CSM/LM RCS Thruster (R-4D) - collectSPACE: Messages
2. RCS Quad | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
3. SM RCS Thruster

So I started over and the bells look perfectly-shaped now:

002shh.jpg

001adb.jpg

And now I'm ready to have these 3D printed. I'm just worried about the "fuzzy" 3D-printed look. And that would be 16 fuzzy 3D printed plastic nozzles in all. Would it be better to have them turned in real aluminum? There's a shop here (rapidparts.ca) that seems like they can do it but I haven't asked about pricing yet. Just wondering if they can make it as thin - won't the aluminum collapse easily when it's too thin?

Yeah, Bob - manually making them all look alike would be difficult. I've sent an email to the CNC shop to ask if they're possible to make. In aluminum, at least, there'd be no painting necessary except for the staining so they'll hopefully look real. I've sent them away for 3D printing as well as a backup. I hear alclad would be good to paint them with but would be difficult to achieve that brushed metal look.

001gluingpanels.jpg

Seemingly endless gluing on of panels. This probably feels like plating the Falcon.

005nozzles.jpg

Had a couple thruster nozzles test printed! These are the very first drawings I've ever done to have 3D printed, wipee!!! :) In the words of Doc Brown, I've finally made something that works!

Last edited:
017px.jpg

Completed right face of midsection. Yaay!

018rg.jpg

024yxc.jpg

028jzx.jpg

I hope to complete this by 2019, the 50th anniversary of the moon landing :) Seriously, I hope make a bit more progress soon. The front section looks a bit daunting.

001primered.jpg

The two test print RCS thrusters finally arrived in the mail. Just as I suspected, there's that print fuzz. It's not really readily visible but when you take a magnifying glass to it it looks like it was spun out of spider's web. I guess it would be difficult to paint shiny. Sanding isn't an option because of the ribs. I sprayed one with primer to see how it would look. I still want to have one machined but the ribs are so fine I'm not sure if it can be done. The CNC shop couldn't open the part file and is asking for a drawing instead. I was hoping they could convert a part file into G-code and start machining one because I want the curves to be exact - I know next to zero about CAM but it's probably not that simple. My kingdom for shiny machined aluminum thrusters! A little help, anyone?

Thanks, guys, appreciate your comments! :)
Tetrox, hi, I'm using a program called Solidworks. But I would recommend Rhino if you're more into scale model building as it seems easier and faster to make complex curves/surfaces. Somehow I regret spending on Solidworks without looking into Rhino first. But they say if I keep at it, Solidworks is really very capable, as seen in some people's work here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/27547?start=1230&tstart=0

001trammelforbase.jpg

For some reason the compass cutter wouldn't cut a perfect circle I had to use the trammel heads.

002guide.jpg

Cut up the halves of the front section and with firm palm pressure slid it against the table edge to make a round shape.
Constructed a holder to assist in gluing vertically onto what would be an inner rib.

006opm.jpg

003aqr.jpg

sincerely. I am increasingly amazed with this beautiful work increasingly takes more strength. It is a challenge to create something as beautiful as the eagle.
Check each step in its construction so generously explained, pretend they're a great person

I remain very attentive to this thread. :popcorn

Greetings my friend!

Roback, Go Flight, Bob, thanks! :)

002yqv.jpg

Prepared the ribs for the front section/crew compartment.

003rrk.jpg

004emp.jpg

Glued on the ribs.

005wjs.jpg

Cut open the back.

001izw.jpg

Feels really sturdy with the ribs in place.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back