The future of gaming is here!!

i'd have donated a buck if they still had openings. I don't mind PS1 style graphics but some of that art looks like it was done on a napkin.

It says $20k has been donated, but the donations don't appear to add up? Can I just not count? (entirely possible)

Seeing projects of this caliber making money really makes me wish that Kickstarter was available in my country......

And yet if i was able to start up my dream company and offer something that looks really good it probably wouldn't make a cent.

It says $20k has been donated, but the donations don't appear to add up? Can I just not count? (entirely possible)

Seeing projects of this caliber making money really makes me wish that Kickstarter was available in my country......
Majority of that money must have come from the 1 person in the $900 or more catagory.

I'll be amazed if this project gets anywhere near the $150k goal. So far their team consists of a kid with Autodesk software and his/her friend, neither of which had the time to run spelling and grammar checks on the project presentation. If they showed previous work, like a mod to someone else's game or smaller scale games they have made in the past, I might believe they could get half way through before calling it quits.

Majority of that money must have come from the 1 person in the $900 or more catagory.

I'll be amazed if this project gets anywhere near the $150k goal. So far their team consists of a kid with Autodesk software and his/her friend, neither of which had the time to run spelling and grammar checks on the project presentation. If they showed previous work, like a mod to someone else's game or smaller scale games they have made in the past, I might believe they could get half way through before calling it quits.

Oh right, I forgot that the pledge amount doesn't necessarily have to be right on the pledge level. :facepalm

I'm surprised to see that this guy is 28. I was doing better work when I was only 16 (I still have it all around), and yet he's older than I am now. Also, it looks like this is the second time he's run this project on Kickstarter. The previous attempt was canceled with only $1355.

It's apparent from the images and description that this is someone who has never actually made a finished game, or even a complete and textured 3D model. All of the sketches are very simple, and the few sketches that look alright were done by other people.
And there are no shots of completed models, just a few screenshots of basic boxy models in progress that would only take a day or two to finish from scratch, and yet he couldn't even complete a single simple test object to demonstrate the ability to create a game. That dragon thingy is an amateur blob. Even with $150k this game wouldn't happen. You need someone in charge who knows what they're doing, with experience. Playing and liking games isn't enough.

I'm a 3D modeler, and I'm making a game in the same programming language as a hobby, so I know the work involved even just to make a demo of a simple platformer, let alone a fully completed RPG with a huge number of assets. It's something a lot of people can't really appreciate until you've tried it yourself, and you don't make a quality game (or even a complete game) first try.

Didn't mean to ramble there! I absolutely love that Kickstarter allows anyone (well, anyone in the US/UK) to fund their ideas on a level playing field, but I worry that too many people like this might get their projects funded, and hurt the Kickstarter model for others.

2035bc5754fc16c2186ee06692eb920b_large.jpg

how can this not convince you?

It doesn't help that people actually fund garbage like this. I mean do people have money to throw away on this or are they making a joke knowing they'll never reach their goal?

Why do you think I had a popcorn smiley in my first post? I didn't have to say anything for this one, just post the link and enjoy the show. :)

The total is now down to a more believable $872. It looks like that one person that pledged more than $900 either came to their senses, or realized their 5 year old kid had accidentally gotten onto their computer. :lol

I forgot to mention that looking at the quality of the work created, I highly doubt this person legitimately bought the $5000+ worth of software being displayed here. Unity Pro is $1500 (1200 when on sale), and Maya is over $3500.

The total is now down to a more believable $872. It looks like that one person that pledged more than $900 either came to their senses, or realized their 5 year old kid had accidentally gotten onto their computer. :lol

I forgot to mention that looking at the quality of the work created, I highly doubt this person legitimately bought the $5000+ worth of software being displayed here. Unity Pro is $1500 (1200 when on sale), and Maya is over $3500.

Yeah I'm thinking either they got student versions (which if you take classes you can get but can't use to make money) or they're cracked versions. This makes me sick as it makes companies wanting to get into the industry look bad when trying kickstarter. I'm betting these guys are just punks trying to see how much they can make. The first thing he needs to do is take some basic drawing classes or buy a how to draw book, that alone will improve people taking him seriously.

To be honest from the look of this guy's stuff I don't think he's even read a book on how to make a game lol. I want to get into it but i'm staying simple at first, plus if i could ever get my company going we wouldn't be doing cutting edge. We'd focus on retro gamers who feel ignored by the current industry.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back