Ilm tauntaun armature

That's cool, didn't know it was possible!
My lazy man's method is to grab the correct spec'd .step files from Mcmaster-Carr and just boolean subtract with them.. maybe you're doing something similar to save time? Don't want to get too "techy", just errant curiosity.. always seem to have plenty of it. :)

I used the same site for the screws as well, Indispensable resource. but if you just boolean the screws the thread will be to tight and not the correct shape. There is a difference between the tap and the thread of the screws. So i made a set of "virtual tap's" in most imperial and metric sizes that I then boolean where needed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll search for the video I have on the process and email it to you, Awesome stuff to see. On the downward leg the hole is cut and then with the same tool on the way back out the thread is cut!

Nice solution, I figure there's some kind of scale factor that works across the board for the different sizes. Will have to work that out. Nice to have a Rhino guru on the board here, still "learning" and I've probably logged a few thousand hours in it by now. Wish it was parametric sometimes, but there's plugins for that.

*edit

Ok I'll look for that email later, thanks! I'm imagining (after sending out quotes myself) this would cost too much to have done by local shops, most of the good tooling is all over in China now anyways!

Sure sounds good. I'm working in imperial (trying to follow ILM's lead), always fun to talk shop. Lots involved taking these things from behind the screen and making them fit and function on the first go eh? I'll throw you some pics of some parts I'm giving a rework.

Great design on the feet. How you came up with that from those reference photos is amazing. and you included the screw hole for fixing it to a base "Great" Now all we need to do is figure out how the toe wires will stay secure threading them through the holes.

scotthothpatrol
Re: Ilm tauntaun armature

Great design on the feet. How you came up with that from those reference photos is amazing. and you included the screw hole for fixing it to a base "Great" Now all we need to do is figure out how the toe wires will stay secure threading them through the holes.
8 Hours Ago

The hand's have 0-80 button head screws holding the wire but for the feet on the ref's the wire exits the feet flush with the bottom so this is the only way I came up with to allow that. once the wire is wrapped through the holes I cant see it moving so will be fine. And yes I made sure to have a mounting point on the feet like you requested, there also looks to be one there in the ref's so worked out great. :thumbsup

Mars, Rob --

Your Taun head was passed around (and very closely inspected) by the guys who built the original this past weekend and all I can say is that they were seriously impressed. I've been asked to keep them updated on it as well as the Probe Droid build - they are fascinated with what you guys have achieved.

A huge feather in your caps mates…

HIghest regards

MARK

Well to say I'm floored is an understatement, To have the best in the business and the guys who make the magic happen in the movies we all love checking it out is a BUZZ!!!
So how close did we get, we only had two blurry photos to work from?:lol
And thank you Mark for going out of your way and doing this, Very chuffed:thumbsup

Say Mark are you talking about Doug Beswick and Tom St. Amand. I believe they were the ones who made the original. Rob and I have been trying to figure out what that fatter part at the beginning of the tail seen just sticking out from behind the upper leg plate on the ref picts. If those are the guys you are referring to can you ask them about that?
Scott

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rob I was wondering how the fingers and toes were going to work.

WOW to say the least, how amazing is that!
Yes also super interested in knowing how close the armature is.

Scott , Mark is a regular at the Skywalker ranch as he does work for ILM.
Yes he meant those guys and there were others in the reunion aswell.

If they remembered I am sure Mark will let us know.
Mars

Theres always something you forget to buy:facepalm
Short some button head screws and waiting on delivery of the threaded stainless steel SPHERES :lol
So this is as far as the assembly has progressed.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Thats on another level, really amazing work Rob, to see it done this way, keeping in line with the original armature, yeah, its just a bit special!

Lee

ralphee

Thats on another level, really amazing work Rob, to see it done this way, keeping in line with the original armature, yeah, its just a bit special!

Lee

I'm glad you like it.

Zombie Killer

Rob , let me know what you are missing for screws. I may have some here as I seem to have a stock of the stuff now.

Appreciate it Glen and I may take you up on it, I found a store that's supposed to stock everything fastener related but there not open till Tuesday so will let you know.

scotthothpatrol

Great picts Rob keep them coming.

Thanks Scott, Will do.

WOW!! Spectacular.
Finally done.
Glad to see you did the welding on the balls and rods.
Not a bad side little job considering they little builds and designs we/you are doing this past year.
But by no means less intricate than any others.
Finally get to own one of these.
Well done And thanks Rob , this is a very unique model and amazing result considering he lack of info available on this.
This just be Scott's??
Mine will start production early next year I hope .
Btw , lots of alloy work around your benchtop these days....
Mars

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back