Paint Question: Duplicolor clear over testor acrylic

RiggsMcClane

I'm working on a magneto helmet using duplicolor for the red. I couldn't find a suitable purple for the trim in their brand but found it in testors model master acrylics. I plan to clear coat the entire helmet with duplicolor acrylic lacquer but don't want to fudge it up. Will any issue occur between the two paints or an I over thinking it?

The rule of thumb is to not put lacquer over enamel. Mainly because lacquer dries so fast. Where as enamel can take much longer. So enamel can still be curing, and when you put lacquer over top of it, it can go crazy. This happens as a reaction of traped solvents! Now how long it takes for the enamel to cure (not dry! Just because you can pick it up, does not mean it's cured!) depends on several things. Heat, air movement, humidity, and the temperature. So if it's cold out, it's not going to cure fast! I know the enamel's say about 7 days to cure, but it can be a very sensitive area to gauge.
The best thing to do is spray out a test panel. Let it cure, than you can spray the clear over top, and see what happens. Testors spray can paint could be some of the best, or the worst paint to work with. Solid colors usually layed out awesome. Where as their metallic colors, not so much! Test it first!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back