Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 Uber Build - COMPLETED!

Re: Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 uber build - Pic Heavy

DUDE! Nice catch! I would have never noticed that until it was too late! Good thing I haven't done the painting yet! So many things left to do on this... Keep finding other things I've missed. The more I find the longer this sucker is gonna take to build but I hope its worth it!
You hadn't mentioned it in any of your previous posts, so I thought I'd bring it up just in case you hadn't noticed it.

Of the three Star Wars figure kits that MPC produced (R2-D2. C-3PO, and Darth Vader) R2 looks the best built out-of-the-box, but you really notice all of the little inaccuracies when you take a closer and more critical look.

Since you've mentioned the shoulder joints (and while I'm acting like Mr. Know-It-All :p), take a close look at those round "pads" on either side of R2's upper torso where his legs attach--they should be larger in diameter.

You hadn't mentioned it in any of your previous posts, so I thought I'd bring it up just in case you hadn't noticed it.

Of the three Star Wars figure kits that MPC produced (R2-D2. C-3PO, and Darth Vader) R2 looks the best built out-of-the-box, but you really notice all of the little inaccuracies when you take a closer and more critical look.

Since you've mentioned the shoulder joints (and while I'm acting like Mr. Know-It-All :p), take a close look at those round "pads" on either side of R2's upper torso where his legs attach--they should be larger in diameter.

Dude you're killing me here... you're right! That shouldn't be too hard to fix thou. I'm sure before I attach the legs to the body, I can use some Magic Sculpt to squish in there to make them a bit larger. Man, if you keep spotting these things, I'm never gonna finish this! LOL I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna scribe those panel lines on the front foot cowling. Got any suggestions?

Dude you're killing me here... you're right! That shouldn't be too hard to fix thou. I'm sure before I attach the legs to the body, I can use some Magic Sculpt to squish in there to make them a bit larger. Man, if you keep spotting these things, I'm never gonna finish this! LOL I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna scribe those panel lines on the front foot cowling. Got any suggestions?
I've only done some very minor scribing with the back of a dull Xacto knife blade (more carving than scribing, actually), so I can't really offer any suggestions there.

As for that shoulder joint cylinder, when I get around to building mine I'm planning to get some styrene tubing (in whatever size I need) to create a "sleeve" that will fit over the kit's "pads" to represent that part. Attach the sleeves to the torso, sand the outer edges a bit to make sure there's juuuuust enough clearance for the "legs" to still move, and it's done. By doing it that way I believe I'll be able to better replicate a nice round part, and maintain the position of the holes for the crossmember that connects the legs together at the "shoulder" pivot point.

And now you might be thinking, "Okay, but how are you going to create that curved shape so that the inner ends of the sleeves match the contour of R2's torso?" Sandpaper. Wrap it around R2's torso with the grit side out, and R2's torso becomes a sanding block with the perfect curvature. Hold the styrene tubing at a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the torso, and sand up and down along the length of the torso. Simple, but effective. :cool

I found something in my closet today that spawned an awesome idea. I found an old spool of copper wire. Now if I remember correctly, I think I had this in a kit for making an alarm clock a long time ago (like when I was kid, can't believe I still have it after all these years and it was probably around the same time that i built my first R2-D2 kit so bringing a bit of nostalgia into this hehehehehe).

r2-spool.jpg

My wife thinks I'm a pack rat hoarder... but I'm not, I'm a re-purposer! :) Anyway, the idea I had was about the hoses on the feet. I found a piece of thin brass rod I had gotten for my falcon that I was gonna use for replacing some of the surface hoses with (came in a 3 pack). Anyway, I took a piece of rod and began wrapping the copper wire around it tightly and what do you know... it looks awesome!

r2-wind1.jpg

r2-wind2.jpg

Won't even have to paint it when I'm done either. Its the perfect color! After winding about 8 inches or so (just in case I messed up something I had some extra).

r2-hosecompare.jpg

I compaired it to the hoses that come on the chromed sprue. Seems as if they are even the right size and diameter. I might even be able to make some connector ends for the hoses using my dremal lathing technique... hmmmm... This is gonna be awesome! More to come...

Last edited:

Well I think I got the scribing done as well as I can. I took one of my old x=acto blades and ground it into a shape that seems too work pretty well.

r2-scriber.jpg

Then, using some electrical tape I taped off the area and very slowly and gently began to scribe. The hard part was getting the curves on the corners, its not perfect but I think it looks alot better. I also added the bits that were missing in the center half moon and the piece on the top.

r2-scribedfoot.jpg

I also got the epoxy putty into the leg joints and they look pretty good. I let them dry and then painted them. They are a far cry from that original cross that was there and look a whole lot better then before!

r2-hipprepaint.jpg

r2-hippainted.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited:

Well today I've decided that I'm gonna finish at least one leg. Working on the middle leg I added the two strips to the front and back that aren't there. I also put the two canisters on either side after trimming and carving them down on the back sides.

r2-midlegdone.jpg

The middle leg finished but now I have a problem. It won't retract up into the body with the two canisters on either side (good thing I used the spare kit retainer sub-assembly).

r2-midlegext.jpg
r2-midlegret.jpg

I believe that if I modify the assembly a bit by widening the central guide box, it will be able to fully retract into the body to be displayed either 2 or 3 legged (which will be a cool feature). I would hate to have to glue the leg into one position. I'm thinking if I open the gap a bit more and add a couple of pieces of styrene to guide it, it should allow the leg to retract fully into the body without causing any problems. Will work on that.
I also finished the right leg (sans foot).

r2-rtlegdone.jpg

I added some greebles to the angles just under the shoulder on the sides have this little piece of detail that alot of people don't even see (and its even harder to see in some of the pics) but its on both sides. The model has a very poorly detailed little section on one side. Well using my sculpting putty, I fashioned some greebles on both sides. Came out looking pretty good. I also added the little blue box above the weird angled piece at the bottom of the ankle. I also carved out the little rectangluar section just below it that should be there. All the painting is done on that leg.

r2-rtlegbk.jpg

r2-rtlegft.jpg

I haven't put the foot shell together yet because I want to put the anchor for the base in both the rear legs so that it will not move. I think I may have a solution. I'm only going to use half of each roller and then using my sculpting putty, put a nut just above them to allow the screws to go into it. However, I'm not sure yet if I should do it in the center of the foot and have just one, or drill a hole in one of the rollers to go thru the roller so that you don't see the screw holding it down. In any case, I want to have the cowling off the ground, and not sitting on the cowl. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be great.

More when I get some time.

Last edited:

Today was spent cutting and shaping the holes on the sides of the body. Now that I got the body dewarped, it took me awhile. I had to cut two square holes on each side of the body (total of 4 holes) 2 for the side vents and 2 for the lower body indentation.

r2-sideholes.jpg

Using my dremal and a cutting disc, I cut the holes out smaller then what I needed to have. The two main vents are a specific size and I had to make sure that the vent pieces that I had made earllier would be able to fit perfectly. After cutting out the holes i began using a nail file to shape the holes and get them perfectly shaped for the vent piece.

r2-snapped.jpg

I got the two holes cut out but a slight problem... as I was sanding I pressed too hard on the cross brace for the lower vent on the rear and it snapped. That's just one of the little snafus that happen when dealing with this type of situation. You have to watch the pressure you put on a piece or little parts will snap and break.

r2-fixed.jpg

No big deal thou, I got it fixed back into position and you wouldn't even know it was damaged. I glued the lower vent into place and it looks as good as new. Next I'll be moving on to putting hte pieces into the body. Question for everyone that I really haven't found an answer to or a good picture of. The area that holds R2's arm, is it filled with visable wires/hoses/pipes etc or is it completely white or a darker color? If you have photos of that area (that come from the real R2 not a R2 Reproduction (there's tons of them out there) let me know and post a photo here.

Last edited:

Today I finished putting all the body greebles where they belong (except the sides and the arm compartment).

r2-bodygreb.jpg

I also fixed he middle leg support structure and teh middle leg itself. I began by taking apart the support structure and sanding down the sides that had the guide pins. I positioned each of those side walls back onto the front and back wall supports about 5mm out further from the original guide holes and glued them.

r2-mlegsupp1.jpg

Now while I let the support dry, I began working on the middle leg. Cutting a thick peice of styrene to about the size I needed, I then used my dremal to cut the existing support pins off and cut a groove the same size thru the upper leg. Then I attached the styrene strip and glued it in place.

r2-mlegpre.jpg

r2-mlegcut.jpg

r2-mlegnewpin.jpg

Viola... or so I thought. I test fitted the new support pin in the base and the styrene strip was the right length, but the original design took into account the width of the leg support and used it to help guide the leg without any side to side wobble.

r2-mlegsupp2.jpg

r2-mlegsupp3.jpg

So I added a couple of pieces of styrene on the front side of the leg to give it the width of the support structure hole and to help give more support and it worked...

r2-mlegsupp4.jpg

r2-mlegsupp5.jpg

That's when I discovered, low and behold, I glued the entire support structure together wrong. I had to pull it all apart and reglue it back into place. Its not easy since there isn't much difference to go by and if you're not paying attention you end up having to pull it apart and gluing it back together again. Well now that it's all back together, the middle leg glides back up into the body completely with the side canisters on the leg with no problems.
Finally, my buddy Bryan found some good screen caps of R2's inner arm compartment from Jedi. They are dark and look like they've got some wires and stuff in there. I don't know how much little greebles I'll be able to put in there with the grabber arm and still be able to close it, but I was looking at the chromed "greeble" section that comes with the kit.

r2-chrgreb.jpg

Since I'm not going to use this piece I figured I would cut off a few pieces from it (since the greebles look pretty cool on it anyway) and put a few of them into the arm compartment. One of the "oxygen tanks" looks like it would be a good fit. Maybe the snaking wire/pipe looking part. Not alot of room to work with. but I cut off one of the tanks and it seems to fit rather nicely. Will look even better after I paint it.

r2-compgreb1.jpg

r2-compgreb2.jpg

That's all for now. Lemme know what you all think... am still trying to get this light circuit working thou... that'll probably be the last step I take.

Last edited:

Well for the last couple of days I've been messing around trying to get my circuit to work... I stripped it down to its bare components and am just trying to get 3 LEDs to flash/pulse properly. I almost got them working. I can get the first blue and the white to pulse but the last blue remains on constant. Still can't get it quite right, but I feel as if I'm almost onto something here. Here's a vid of what it looks like right now.

R2-D2 LED Circuit Test #3 - YouTube

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel as if I'm on the right path... I know it has something to do with the resister values... but since these LEDs are scrap leds that i scrounged, I have no idea what their values are to come up with an accurate value for putting the resisters on them. Is there any way to test the resistance value of an LED to find out what the voltage drop of it is easily?

I realize it's been a little while since my last update and I figured it was time. I took a break from this darn circuit today and decided o finish the leg hoses on the completed leg today. Since I've been seeing questions lately about sprue stretching, I figured I would make a small little tutorial on how to do it and answer a few questions on how its done. I learned this trick on my own when I was a kid and wanted to make a rail or pipe for a model but didn't want to use wire. Why, because the glue I had didn't work on metal, just plastic (yeah I'm older then the invention of superglue!). So in order to use the glue, I had to stretch some sprue. For this project I'm making some pin holders for the wound wire hoses I made earlier. Here's how its done.

First, get yourself a small votive candle of some kind. If you're married or living with a woman you should be able to find plenty of these things around the house. Next, take out the parts from your kit and find a straight piece of sprue (that's those rod things that hold the pieces together. You'll end up throwing it away later, so any peice will do). I usually prefer to find a straight piece that doesn't have any part numbers on it and/or any mold lines. Once you find a relatively good piece, cut it off the sprue so you have just a straight plastic rod.

r2-sprue1.jpg

r2-sprue2.jpg

Now light your candle and hold the piece above it. Far enough away so you don't end up burning it, but close enough to keep the heat focused on the plastic. Keep turning it in your fingertips to distribute the heat evenly around the entire piece. What you're trying to do is create a thinner rod that you can use for detailing your model. As the plastic heats up you'll notice it start getting shiney and then it will begin to bend and warp.

r2-sprue3.jpg

At this point the plastic is now soft enough to stretch. Do so by pulling it away from the heat and grasping each end, pull them apart. Don't do it too quickly or the plastic will break. Do it too slowly and the plastic will harden again and you'll have to start over. Do it evenly and steadily.

r2-sprue4.jpg

As soon as you get the desired thickness you want, cool it off in some cold water. Personally I find it alot easier to just lick it with my toungue (yeah I know sounds gross but it works). This will set the plastic to that shape and will remain permanent. As you gain practice in this, you'll be able to pull just about any thickness of plastic wire you want or need. It's really easy to do, and you can bend it, cut it, shape it anyway you desire. It's a great way to add those little detailed pipes to a surface or wires to a panel. Remember, its in the little details like this that make or break a model. You can also use this same method to create small buttons or knobs. Since its the same plastic as your kit, your plastic cement will work here with no problems.

For this project however, I'm making some attachment pins for the wire hose on the foot cowlings. Since I don't have any CA glue (Superglue), I have to use plastic cement. I'm sure CA would probably be alot easier to work with, but I also wanted a attachment point that looks close to the old cable wire attachments they used in the real thing. So to do this, I cut the end of the stretched sprue off and held one end close to the candle flame to "mushroom" the plastic. Then while it was still hot, I placed the soft plastic on a flat surface to get a nice flat end for gluing. Plastic seems to weld together better when dealing with flat surfaces.

r2-mush1.jpg

r2-mush2.jpg

Once I got a good end "cap" look to it, I cut off a small pin shape to allow me to attach it to the surface of the model. I cut off the wound wire I made earlier into the lengths I needed then I made sure that the stretched sprue would fit in the small diameter holes of the wound wire ends.

r2-pin1.jpg

r2-pin2.jpg

In the battery box there is a attachment hole that I need to cover up. I did so by cutting a small "plate" from spare styrene. Then I glued it over the mounting hole. I then glued the pins atop that plate and onto the plate of the other half of the cowling. I let the pins dry completely overnight to allow th glue to cure.

r2-batt1.jpg

r2-batt2.jpg

Once dry, I then began bending the wire hoses slightly and placed each end on the pins I had created earlier. The hoses look great and don't look like they'll require any painting.

r2-legcomp1.jpg

r2-legcomp2.jpg

Now I just wish I had painted the "plates" silver before putting the hoses on! LOL In any event, I hope this little tutorial has helped someone understand what Stretching Sprue is and what it's all about.

I'm still working on this circuit and as soon as I get it done, I'm sure that assembly will be a breeze from that point on. More to come... lemme know what you think.

Last edited:

For the past few days I've been working on this circuit and trying to get it to work, still no luck. So I decided to take a break from it for awhile and worked on the top dome panels. As my friend Zombie_61 pointed out earlier, the model kit has the panels positioned wrong.

r2-domecomp.jpg

So today I cut the top panel section off and moved it about 15 degrees to make the support aligned above the main eye box.

r2-dometop2.jpg

r2-dometop3.jpg

I would have never noticed it if he hadn't pointed it out (like he's done so many times so far!) But, after this dries, I'll be able to repaint the dome and get the rest of the panels in and at least have the dome completed for assembly. More to come...

Last edited:

I've been trying to solve the dilemma of the dome. In painting this silver and then hitting it with dullcote, it comes out looking very grey. Not a good thing.

r2-graydome.jpg

So, after digging my closet some I found some Chrome Bare Metal Foil I had for another project and gave it a shot.

r2-baremetal.jpg

This is some cool stuff, it's real metal, like a very thing aluminum foil, and one side has pressure sensative stickum on it that when you press down on it it will adhere to the surface, so I laid some down as a test and it seems to look pretty good.

r2-baremetal2.jpg

That is until it comes to the thin sections between the blue panels. The stickam just isn't strong enough to hold it down in those tight little areas.

r2-bmprob.jpg

Another thing is that around this curved surface keeping the wrinkles out is a real tough task. But the surface with a little scuffing looks almost perfect for the dull sheen of the dome.

r2-bmsheen.jpg

I'm thinking I may be able to use this, and just use the tacky glue from the gold leafing kit to hold it down better. I don't know. Gonna work on it a bit more and see what I can come up with. If all else fails I'll have to get some Alclad and go to town. Will have to order some online (if anyone has a good source for it please let me know).

r2-midlegbulk.jpg

I also bulked out the middle foot's leg with some Magic Sculpt a bit to allow it to slide and hold it's position a bit better. The two little tabs I placed on it just weren't enough to hold it in place. Now it is quite sturdy and can hold itself up when the third leg is completely extended. Turned out looking pretty good.

More to come... hope you all are enjoying this.

Last edited:

This is a fantastic build, I can't wait to see more!

I think I got this Bare Metal foil to work... a little more tackum from the Gold Leafing kit seems to work for the edges. And buffing it a bit seems to give the perfect sheen to the dome. Will post some pics later!

Well... it's been a hectic few days lately. But I've been taking pics as I go so this will be a good update. I believe I've solved the problem with the Bare Metal Foil and the edges. By using the tackum glue that came with the gold leafing kit, I was able to get those edges down with no problem and I gotta say, this looks perfect for this scale.

r2-domefin.jpg

As you can see, I also got the lower ring done the same way. Took forever to get it to look right, but I think it came out pretty good. After getting it all tacked down I sealed the entire dome in Future Floor Wax and it should last a good long time!

Next I dove into some of the electronics. First things first thou... I needed a set of Helping Hands. Since I don't have the money to shell out for an actual Helping Hands set I decided to make my own. Here's what I did. I took an old desktop vise I had gotten a long time ago from Testors I think. Then I took a old wire coat hanger and cut off a straight piece. On the ends of the hanger wire, I soldered two alligator clips and then clamped the wire in the middle of the vise. And whaddya know... a pair of helping hands for basically nothing.

r2-helphand.jpg

When you stop and think about how much alot of these tools cost, I just saved about $50 on something I made myself that works the exact same way. Yeah I know... my desk is a mess, but you know what they say. A messy desk is the sign of a busy mind... I'm sure others would just say I'm a hoarder. Me, I just seem to know where everything is! :)

Anyway, now that I have my "Helping Hands" I can start doing some soldering without having to worry about having a third hand. Lemme start with I found this cool little plush toy R2-D2. What really made it neat was the fact that if you bumped it, it would make the distinctive R2 beeping sounds (I think there are about 4-6 different sounds on a loop).

r2-plush.jpg

But seeing as it only cost $3, I tore into it and ripped out the little sound circuit. The nice thing about this circuit was the fact that it has an actual speaker and it was the perfect size for fitting inside this kit.

r2-vc1.jpg

Most of these little things have that little piezo disc thing that don't sound good at all. But this really has a speaker and what I needed to do was hook up a wire to the activation switch.

r2-vc2.jpg

It's basically this little cylinder with a spring inside that when it's bumped or moved will make a temporary contact to turn on the circuit. Seeing as I don't think it would be a good idea that the only way to activate this thing would be to bump the whole thing I took two wires and soldering them to the spot where the cylinder is on the circuit board. Those wires will lead out to a button on the base that can be pressed to make him talk.

Once I had the wires on the board, I needed to affix the board to the back of the middle leg support so that you can open the back door panel and change the batteries out if needed. So taking some of my Magic Sculpt again (have I mentioned how much I love this stuff), I mixed up a bit and fashioned a nice little base on the back panel of the support. It was the perfect fit and I think it will work out wonderfully. I think I decided to leave the "bump" switch on the board for the time being. I can always remove it later, you can see it best in the photo.

r2-vc3.jpg

Now my friend Bryan is completely new to model building but is completely fascinated with this build, so this next part I did for his benefit but if anyone else gets any info out of it to, I hope it helps. He's getting his first kit in the mail soon and wanted to know what the "Dirty Thinner" technique is. So I put together a little video to show him. And for those of you who don't know already, it's a wash. A way of bringing out fine details already present in the surface of a model. There are many ways of doing it. Some people swear by using black pastel chalks scraped into a little bit of water and using that. I personnally find this method the fastest and easiest to do. Why? Because #1) You don't have to have anything extra that you don't already have available... #2) You don't have to prepare anything extra, because you've got the solution right in front of you during your painting, and #3) I discovered it on my own and seem to be a creature of habit. Here is a quick video to describe the technique I'm talking about.

The Dirty Thinner Technique

So... that will do for now. I'm waiting for some chips to arrive so I can start getting this light circuit to work. I swear it's gonna work before I finish it or I'll go insane! LOL Will post more later.

Last edited:

Alright... I'm slowly getting the body together. I finally got the grabber arm to fit into the compartment with the door shut. What I ended up doing was moving the notch where the support bar goes above the original hole. Basically where the little greeble goes on the inside that looks like two little blaster nozzles.

r2-compfix1.jpg

I placed the holding cap at the bottom of this notch. On the back of the holding bar is a flat piece that fits behind the holding cap to hold it upright. When you extend the arm out, you lift up the back and slide the flat part under the holding cap and it will remain extended until you fold it back into it's place. Simple little design. Worked pretty well.

r2-compfix2.jpg

r2-compfix3.jpg

I had to cut the original piston part in half almost but with the arm extended, it looks pretty good and everything will close up properly (I couldn't put the little greeble of the tank in there because the room was extremely limited, and it wouldn't shut with it in).

r2-compfix4.jpg

r2-compfix5.jpg

The next thing I noticed when going over my reference pics was that the builders put a headphone jack and a switch on the bottom of the body cowling.

r2-refpic1.jpg

I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with being able to charge or program the droid while in production.

r2-refpic2.jpg

It also looks like they moved the jack from the front to the side because the front has a big empty hole there. So in order to make this baby look as accurate as possible... I placed both of these little details on the cowling.

r2-headjack1.jpg

r2-headjack2.jpg

Came out looking pretty good althou I think my switch looks a little larger, but it don't look too bad. That's all for now. Still waiting on those chips to come in. Lemme know what you all think!

Last edited:

All this work you’re doing is amazing. You’re covering details I never would have thought of and you’re also doing an excellent job with your step-by-step documentation.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back