Zeigrin's ironman mkVI build! (***large spring break update***)

Zeigrin

Hello everyone! This is my first real post on the RPF but rest assured I have been lurking for quiet some time :p. I'm a busy busy college student and have been working on the ironman slowly for a while now part time. However, I recently got accepted to be in the artist alley at ACEN 2013 and am trying to get this build done for the convention. Hopefully I want to have a lot of the build done by the time classes resume in Feb. I would love the feedback and tips so without further delay here are some photos!

Helmet by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Here is my Helmet which has been about half done for a little while now, going to be working on wrapping it up by the first pending on how cold it gets outside. Might be running a heater out in the garage :p

Chest-above-view by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

This is the chest piece that I made and fiber glassed but am considering throwing out. It's kind of warped and I don't know if it's going to be able to be saved. Not sure if I want to waste the bondo on it. What do you guys think?

Chest-back-view by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

This is the back of the same chest piece. I think if I end up rebuilding it I might try to use card board. I think that the cardboard would hold up better than the paper when it comes time to resin.

Foam by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Here is the foam I'm using for certain parts. Mainly the thighs, the cod, the abs, and maybe the bicepts too. There are small pin holes here and there which I imagine are air bubbles from the foam making process. Is there a good way to fill these in? I don't think it would be too big a deal but the perfectionist in me really wants to fix it!

forewarm-parts by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Last but not least is the piece I'm working on to get back into the swing of things. These fun little parts are going to be the forearm of the suit.

Last edited:
Re: Winter break ironman build!

Alright time for some updates!

Got the forearm ready to go for the most part I just need to glue up sine final seems and then I will be off to resin it.

Untitled by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Heres how it all assembles into the whole part

Since it's cold out here in the Chicago area I'm going to be using a heatbox to cure the parts that I work on. Basically it's an old printer cabinet that my girl friend's dad gave to me. It's a sturdy metal and it works great with a small heater inside

Heatbox3 by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the inside of it.

Heatbox2 by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

Hope to have more soon. Going to start putting together a shin next before I get to the other forearm. It's nice to have a break from the same part so I don't like to do duplicates back to back. Might also do a test run using cardboard to do the chest too since I'm still not sure that the old chest I made is salvageable

Heat box. What a great idea. I was just freezing my assofftonight in my garage sanding while it's snowing like crazy out. I now keep my bondo in the house to help keep it warm.

I'll be at ACen 2013 as well! Hope to see the finished product in person and also hope that it survives Soap Bubble!

Heat box. What a great idea. I was just freezing my assofftonight in my garage sanding while it's snowing like crazy out. I now keep my bondo in the house to help keep it warm.

Haha yeah I know all about how much that all sucks did a lot of it last year :). Glad I could share some knowledge about heat boxes :D I actually like working in the cold though just for the fact that I have more working time with the bondo and resin. It makes me feel like I'm less likely to mess it up and also that I have more time to get what I want to get done taken care of without wasting any body filler

I'll be at ACen 2013 as well! Hope to see the finished product in person and also hope that it survives Soap Bubble!

Nice! I go every year! I used to do a webcomic that I would promote but that's kind of fallen to the side with college and all. This is the first year that I have chosen to cosplay. I wanted to last year but it was my first year of college and I didn't have as much time as I'd have liked. Never have gone to the soap bubble though I hear it is a good time. Might try for it this year. ^_^

On a side not pulling an all nighter hope to have some new photos up soon :love

If you coat the foam in PVA (elmer's or any other white glue) it should in theory fill in the pinholes. Or it may not. For reference, search xrobots.co.uk. James is building a killer suit. He started with foam, and always coats them in PVA.

If you coat the foam in PVA (elmer's or any other white glue) it should in theory fill in the pinholes. Or it may not. For reference, search xrobots.co.uk. James is building a killer suit. He started with foam, and always coats them in PVA.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a fan of xrobots and have been meaning to sit down an watch all of his videos on the ironman he's been building :).

In other news it's been quiet a night for me. I dug out a bunch of other old parts that I have had in my garage. I'm thinking that the shoulders can be saved but the bicep is one of the parts I'm thinking is best done out of foam.

Then I got to work on resining some parts. I even decided to use my extra resin on the bicep for the heck of it. Might finish it up for display one day.

Here is one of the shoulders all put together after resining the inside of the outer fang-like part. It still needs to be fiberglassed on the inside but I think it's salvageable. I'll just need to go a little heavy on the filler.

Heres the last bit I'm going to work on before passing out here in a bit. It's the chest piece, I have decided instead to attempt to make it out of cardboard to see how it works out before I get going on the shin as originally planned. I'm actually pretty eager to see how it all turns out. If it goes well I will do the back using the same method next.

Last edited:

Hey everyone now that the new year is here I have made it a resolution to finish this suit! :p this way I know it'll get done for sure because I always finish my resolutions!

I have been making some headway on the new chest piece and I have to say I think the cardboard method is working out nicely. It's not exactly the easiest way but I think that its the best way to do the bigger parts. Can't wait to do the back because thats the part I have had the most problems with warping in the past. It's mainly been because of the nature of the over the shoulder parts.

Here is a shot of the parts I transferred to the cardboard.

The next part included a lot of cutting and made my right forefinger quiet numb. Had to cut out each piece and figure out how they would all come together. Heres a shot of all the parts.

This middle part was a bit tricky as everything came together and it kept wanting to collapse in on itself because of the seam in the middle.

To solve the problem I used some craft popsicle sticks to help hold everything straight. Using some clamps I glued them into place to secure the integrity of the part.

This is where I got to for tonight/this morning. Going to work more after I clock a few hours of sleep. My buddy who is working on the war machine to go along side my ironman at acen is coming over later today so perhaps I'll be able to snap some shots of what he's working on to share here too :love

Re: Winter break ironman build! (***building cardboard chest now***)

Looking good. I hope you meet your deadline.

Thanks :) I'm sure I will make it for ACEN! might not finish everything by the end of my break but I think I will be good for the convention.

Here is the chest base completed out of cardboard and ready for resin.

For the most part the chest came together easily using the cardboard with the foam. The only difficult part was having to figure out where to score and such to make parts bend right.

Here is a photo of the chest for the war machine that my friend Jake is working on. It's looking pretty big however I have to say I don't envy how much work he has had to do putting together that pep lol.

He's currently wrapping up the back now.

That's all for the moment. I'm beginning the back now out of cardboard just like I did the chest. I'll have more photos soon to show off the progress on that.

Re: Winter break ironman build! (***building cardboard back now***)

looking gurd man keep it up :)

:) Thanks I enjoy the support!

Been having a busy night getting the back all set up to be put together. Been watching the booth at the end to pass the time as I cut everything out. If you haven't seen it and have hulu plus I strongly recommend it :)

After finally getting everything cut out here is most of the back all laid out and ready to be put together. My forefinger hurts from all the cutting. Need to find a better way to cushion it while I cut out mass amounts of parts. :p

Also picked up this nice larger sized glue gun today and pac of 50 glue sticks to help me continue on. The cardboard parts in specifically are taking a nice bit of glue to complete so this should help me power through it :D.

Keep tuned because I'm thinking about doing a marathon seeing as how it's 4:00 am here in Chicago and I still have yet to sleep. I have work tomorrow so rather then fall asleep soon and have problems sleeping for work in the morning I'll just power through the day building my ass off. :)

:) Thanks I enjoy the support!

Been having a busy night getting the back all set up to be put together. Been watching the booth at the end to pass the time as I cut everything out. If you haven't seen it and have hulu plus I strongly recommend it :)

After finally getting everything cut out here is most of the back all laid out and ready to be put together. My forefinger hurts from all the cutting. Need to find a better way to cushion it while I cut out mass amounts of parts. :p

Also picked up this nice larger sized glue gun today and pac of 50 glue sticks to help me continue on. The cardboard parts in specifically are taking a nice bit of glue to complete so this should help me power through it :D.

Keep tuned because I'm thinking about doing a marathon seeing as how it's 4:00 am here in Chicago and I still have yet to sleep. I have work tomorrow so rather then fall asleep soon and have problems sleeping for work in the morning I'll just power through the day building my ass off. :)

man your doin awsome :) and talk about dedication lol your an insiration pal thatss for sure , yeh you need sleep and best thing is to get some you dont want your pieces lookin rubbish coz you fall asleep half way through , but i solute you man

man your doin awsome :) and talk about dedication lol your an insiration pal thatss for sure , yeh you need sleep and best thing is to get some you dont want your pieces lookin rubbish coz you fall asleep half way through , but i solute you man

^_^;;; you're too kind sir lol. In fact I'm doing well, it's 7:47 am here and I'm about halfway done getting the back all together. With any luck It will be done soon and I can move onto the next part. Hope to have some update photos soon.

Heres where I made it on the back now for the moment.

Going to clock about 3 hours of sleep time so I can power through the day and sleep at a normal time tonight :p. I'll have more when I wake up!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back