Bondo/filler experimental mixing problems

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Okaaaay, so for my portal gun project (seen here) I've been using generally a mix of PVA glue and various fillers. Now, sometimes I've been mixing in food colourings so that each filler layer is differentiated without having to use paint every time

tumblr_m8x1i9HDMJ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

That time, the filler went rock hard and was actually very difficult to sand down. However, I used yellow food colouring for a layer yesterday and it's not drying at all. It's really difficult to explain what it's like at the moment, it's not wet or watery at all, try and imagine some kind of sandy/grainy putty and you're about there with the consistency.

tumblr_mf87tgUiC91rvpchho1_500.jpg

Thankfully I've mainly used it on the insides of the shells, where it's not too much of a bother...
But really, I need to ask you guys how can I harden this filler, or if all else fails, how can I get it out properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It might be that you havent mixed enough hardener in with the body filler. It remains pliable if you don't. You can try using a heat source to trigger the catalyst, or rubbing hardener onto the surface (I have never known that method to work btw). Usually, you just scrape it off as best you can, sand off the rest (oh teh cloggage!), before applying a new (correctly mixed) layer.

It's Polycell Multi-Purpose filler. I've never had any problems with it before, even with all kinds of mixes. I'm wondering if there's been some kind of chemical reaction with between the PVA and the colouring

What would be my last choice of filler tbh. Get yourself some body filler Will last forever, quick drying, beautiful to work with, sands to a perfect finish, I've never ever had a problem when working with it.

Polycell and pva mixed ? Im suprised it ever hardens ...certainly even your succesfull mixes must take ages to dry , as they rely on water evapouration dont they ?
For goodnes sakes, if you wnat to finish this project before you retire , use body filler ..it sets in minutes !!!! :)

Yea body filler is the way to go. Doesnt need to be Bondo brand and mix the hardener based on temp outside. In Florida I didnt need to use much since I like to take get close before it hardens. Out here in the Pacific NW and freezing cold I mix a lot more hardener to get work done.

Not sure how pva and filler worked at all...

Not really much more to add other than to agree with the others posting here. The filler you are using does suck (no offense intended), just take yourself to your local motor/body repair supplies (Halfords even!) and pick up something like ISOPON P38 which is basic, cheap and works fine :)

Thanks y'all for the help! I was up at the workshop today, we simply scrubbed it all out with a wet sponge.

I know I'm pretty inexperienced at the whole prop and replica shenanigans (c'mon, I'm only 17) but I mean in relative terms I've had no real problems with Polyfilla up until now, it sands off pretty easily and with a lick of primer it smooths out well. That said, I've never really used any car body fillers, so I can't make a good comparison. PVA and filler isn't such a terrible mix...I guess....but it does take about an hour to dry fully...so yeah...that's kind of a massive downside....

I'll likely go with that HVD50 stuff, that looks like really good value for money; broke student that I am :p

Thanks once again

If you switch to body filler make sure you get a good respirator to go with it. I tend to go with a more expensive brand of body filler that is easier to sand and I was even able to get slight polish from it, but any filler should work for you.

If you switch to body filler make sure you get a good respirator to go with it. I tend to go with a more expensive brand of body filler that is easier to sand and I was even able to get slight polish from it, but any filler should work for you.

I used a bit of body filler for the barrel, it stank pretty bad; but I suppose not much more than spray paint though. I'll definitely look into getting a tub, everyone highly esteems that stuff, so it's obviously for a good reason. Gotta get a good finish on things I guess

Best body filler you can get in England is UPOL Fantastic. It isn't colour changing like Bondo is though. I think the mix ratio is 2/100 hardener/filler.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back