The Hobbit's dwarfs

muttmo

I want to make a costume of the dwarfs from the Hobbit. The boots are extra large, Maybe a size 35, give or take. Any idea on how to make them?

If you watch any of the Making of the Hobbit videos. you will note. The shoes wear like normal shoes letting the actors run through grass and over rocks. Not big stiff clown shoes.

To make mine, I've glued ( contact cement) a new rawhide sole to the bottoms of my boots and then cut uppers from another pair to fit the tops and extend out and curl up a bit.
Mine are only a hand-span longer and I didn't want to be tripping over the length any. Just make them proportional to your body type. Some of them have thicker toe caps than others.
There's a nice pic of the boots on 36 & 37 of the Chronicles. All of the costumes' parts and the actors hands & facial features were proportioned to be a bit larger & more dwarvish.

I'd recommend anyone attempting these to read the content of the production and art books that are out, because they explain a lot of the processes of how
the costumes and make-ups were accomplished.

Here you can see against the actor's foot that they're not so much longer as way thicker. If only there were more photos of the others like this now..

article-0-16048193000005DC-283_634x660_zps6cfef343.jpg

Oh, Aye! That's me :D Thanks gals!
I still have a ways to go on the costume though .. Getting there, slowly but surely. Trying to stick to a budget. One of my hairstylist friends is going to help me with the wig and facial hair.. I've dyed it to match the wig, but I'm not very good at hair cutting :/

Love your Pictures and follow your progress very interested. :)

Fili!!!! Now the party has started! *head-smash* :D

OMGz Celtic - that is soo funny! ( and accurate :love)

There's also a Bifur & Gloin in the works here & maybe Dwalin. I'll have to get that propmaker on board..

I can't wait to see more! Your Bofur looks amazing!

Not making any dwarves...just a bunch of elves (Thranduil, Elrond, Legolas and Tauriel), but I desperately want Balin's mace! That piece is gorgeous!

I've started on my Thorin cossie-picked up a pretty good wig with a lace front, just gotta match the lace to my skin tone. Can't wait to see more of everybodies' progress!

Fili!!!! Now the party has started! *head-smash* :D

There's also a Bifur & Gloin in the works here & maybe Dwalin. I'll have to get that propmaker on board..

Bofur!!! *head-smash back* You want a beer or someone else? ;-)

Yes I found you...and Eowyn is to blame ....:lol

So all of our company meet here. Let's have party before we make our way to save Erebor again.

I want to make a costume of the dwarfs from the Hobbit. The boots are extra large, Maybe a size 35, give or take. Any idea on how to make them?

Which of the dwarf costumes are you making Muttmo?

Bofur!!! *head-smash back* You want a beer or someone else? ;-)

BEER! :lol

Can't wait to see your costume Looch! Yeah, the wigs/hair on all of them are pretty involved, the more you study them. At least Bofur doesn't have the hair-jewerly, just braid-ties. I'm having to do a lot to that moustache though.

Where's ONeal?

Aww! She might dig Kili or Fili more! :lol

Though I thought Thorin went over well with us lady-folk too :p!
tumblr_mf28lmgMIi1qklv8xo1_500.png

^that's hilarious..and I have to admit that's pretty spot on. :facepalm:lol
I'm down for doing a dwarf if anyone wants to get some kind of group together.
I threw together something in a day for opening night but want to redo it all for cons. They may be male characters but oh well.. you can still rock a beard and have a little fun. Finally characters I can do (short and not skinny! woohoo) Did have a laugh that by dressing as dwarves, some of us short people look the correct size to the rest of the company.

Ill see if I can find a decent pic and post it, but for the boots I used the mat foam and some faux fur. They didn't come out half bad (for what they were) and made them big enough to slip any ole shoe in and just added some filler foam pieces to keep them on. Worked just fine.

I am trying to get source material for the different dwarfs. Right now it i hard to find.. but as the movie progresses. I will find more

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back