New to prop making

daywalker79

Hi everybody, my name is Joe and i have been prop collecting for a long time. But recently it has become hard for me to continue spending money on my hobby of collecting. I want to start making my own props but i don't even know where to begin. Can anybody give me some advise or maybe point me in the right direction or a tutorial on the basics? anything would help...

Thanks

Last edited:
You can make almost anything for almost any budget. It really all comes down to the time you're willing to invest and how resourceful you can be.

So, it might be easier if you tell us a bit about the movies and props you'd be interested in making, since it's easier to learn by doing, than learning a technique and trying to find a project to fit.

So what movies and props really rev up your imagination?

-Nick

Part of the fun of building props is deciding what you want and acquiring the skills and equipment necessary to really do it justice. I would say you need to let the project determine what are "essential" skills, see how other people have built teh things you want or projects similar, and then go from there.

Yea, we can't exactly be much help without an area of interest.

Outside them? Tools are a big necessity (files, a dremel, pliers, a vice...at least)

Epoxy putty works wonders - fills any gap, space or piece you need - can be filed, drilled and sanded when it dries. Oatey sticks in the plumbing dept works well, along with hobby epoxy putty like sculpty online - try to stay away from Loctite sticks, unless you need something you can sculpt in less than 2 min.

Super glue is not that super. It can be brittle and epoxy glue (2 part) will bond much better. JB weld is kinda awesome too.

Time, patience, and intuition/creativity play a big role.

when looking for free parts, check re-use places, recycling bins, old junk you have lying around (even think - you can cut it up, take it apart, etc. phone charger? you've got rubber, wires, transistors, etc) even check dumpsters, or estate sales.

plan first.

things look much better after painting. cobble something together, now spray it with black paint. Admit it, you're a little happy with yourself :D

plumbing tubes are measured from the inside.

learn to solder if you have a few hours, it's a very useful skill even outside prop building.

I..I'm just rambling, I'll shutup now.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back