My 1st Build Iron Man Mark 47 XLVII Foam Armor

Pepakuraprep

First and foremost I would like to thank any and all members who are willing to help me in this project Thank You

Now on to this project I have volunteered to go to all the classes of the 5 elementary schools in my area and teach the kids about drug awareness in my free time now while I'm still a noob at foam costume building I do have a little bit of knowledge on how to build but I really need improvement but I would love to go into each class as Iron Man in the mark 47 armor so I figured since I have yet to complete any good costumes I would ask for help I have the labsic helmet and bought the chest and back files from IMIM2 I just think any tips or pointers would help me out right now I mean anything that you think would help is greatly welcomed I will be posting updates on here as I don't start the job till January so this is what I have so far and I don't wanna cut anything till tomorrow when my X-Acto Mat Cutter arrives but once again thanks in advance guys

My garage setup
B7167581-87CE-4936-A917-72CAA9BEFCE6-7291-0000051DD6C98DA4.jpg

Labsic's Helmet
7EB14DEF-3F85-4669-B7FF-B4D8C0D48221-8259-000005C90E9BDA21.jpg

IMIM2's Chest & Back
EBCEC436-DC91-45A8-888D-699FED67B471-8259-000005C7B8AFABBC.jpg

Templates on 10mm EVA Foam Mat
446017D7-E2DD-4144-BDE6-8E765312D277-7291-0000051D798F2E6D.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Need Help Bad Please Read

Not to be rude but this forum is OVERFLOWING with tips on Foam Iron Man armour......you just have to look.:)

Good luck.

Sorry I just thought that maybe I could get some of the guys personal experience tips on building from here on the forum that I may not have seen or googled my bad bro

Sorry I just thought that maybe I could get some of the guys personal experience tips on building from here on the forum that I may not have seen or googled my bad bro

No worries. I can't help personally but there are a few guys like Stealth, Don Roberts and DocHoliday who have a pretty good grasp on Foam armour building. Check them out if you haven't already.:)

Stealth is the reason I started looking into pepakura it's my goal to impress him with this build as well but most of all what I really want is to see the faces of all those little kids light up with excitement when they see the suit I'm going all out for them so it will be motorized and have all the lights even in the boots and ark reactor it's gonna be wicked awesome

By the way I just cut out most of the chest here's a look
EA8FFACA-9315-4A60-A4C9-CBC96D02414B-9482-00000664F86AEAC2.jpg

Here are some of the best tips youll find on here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed-building-files-spacemarine-added-148889/

The Hero Tutorials - YouTube

Stick with those and you cant go wrong. Also a tip is, start building the smallest/easiest and/or least visible parts first as you hone your technique. For example build the handplates for the back of the hand. Then the boots, then the abs, arms and shoulders. I reckon you should build the chest and helmet last as these are the most complex and potentially hardest parts, and are also the first things you look at on a suit. Dont be afraid to rebuild something you dont like if it doesnt look as good as the rest of the suit. It will bug you once you paint the suit otherwise!

Also, props for investing your time in educating the little ones. Good on ya mate. Be careful that the under 10s are suitably prepped to meet Iron Man by their teacher as he is a pretty scary character. You might want to get the teacher to show clips or photos of Iron Man before your visit, and explain that he is a friendly superhero :)

Heres What I've just finished right now
IMIM2's Mark 47 Chest
4C74BAA0-3645-4D90-8B1C-0F94CB552441-323-0000000132033821.jpg

66E2A8E3-C017-49F8-A9C5-6D40F2F2E480-323-0000000147DEB644.jpg

38AE1FCE-AF16-4F51-8E88-D138F4589E04-323-00000001CE87482B.jpg

2AF6E61C-621E-4773-86FF-8C799898F4D6-323-000000025CA42E54.jpg

I know I still need to get better at my craft but I think it looks kinda good for right now what do you think

I just mite do the chest again now that I have this little beauty
71F24D46-9A29-4960-A0DE-14CF0E2E4736-2258-000000F727CAB828.jpg

Been waiting for this for like a week now

Also, props for investing your time in educating the little ones. Good on ya mate. Be careful that the under 10s are suitably prepped to meet Iron Man by their teacher as he is a pretty scary character. You might want to get the teacher to show clips or photos of Iron Man before your visit, and explain that he is a friendly superhero :)

Thanks bro I'm taking that into account so all the kids will be treated to watch the avengers movie in the auditorium for the first 2 weeks before I start anything I made sure my basses where covered.

Nicely build.
Just a comment, if you asking help badly, you need to be specific on what do you need, so anybody can help you. If you ask general help, people will help you in general too.

You need to read my attached tutorial on the grey. If you are not clear with the instruction, PM me (again :lol). Seems that you didn't do the grey parts properly.

Did you change the template cut? Looks a bit different

Last edited:
I was wondering if anybody has any tips on the best way of cutting foam and what would be the best size to get the foam in. 4mm,6mm,8mm ? I was using 10mm mats. Also where can I find the foam that's flat on both sides as I may have to redo the chest over again

A lot of this information is in the threads people have already linked to mate, have you looked there?

Yeah I've been looking round and found some good info thanks but what I need now is the Eva foam with both sides flat in 7mm even 6mm will do

But aside from that I finished the faceplate just now and ran out of foam so before I buy more of the mats I was wanting to try and find a thinner size foam roll

Here's the faceplate
64CECDBB-1158-4F47-A50F-828FFF9F09BF-2305-00000168E8EF2DEE.jpg

Let me know what you think

6mm is my preference. 8mm for better strength. I use scissors now to cut, but that's just a matter of personal tool preferences.

I see you had a jagged edges (at the eye). You can:
1. Always use sharp/fresh cutter
2. Sharpening the knife thru JFCustom style
3. Burn the edges off (see my tips)
4. Use scissors

Okay well I'm going to start this over from scratch so please bare with me I'm really a noob at this and this is my first actual build I have messed around with using the foam and learned a new understanding for how to make my cuts and glueing the pieces together also how to make bends & folds by cutting on the inside of the foam so now I'm ready to do it the right way this time around and I would love any input you guys can give sorry about the first screw up I will try to post as many pictures as I can during this build in order to get this one looking at it possible best so thanks for all the help so far and once again I'm sorry for the mess up

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back