So is Nike going to mass produce more cost effective BTTF Mags in 2015?

tubachris85x

Master Member
Probably pissing in the wind here, but I remember during that huge auction awhile back they hinted that they'd be producing more in 2015. Is this something that has been confirmed? I'd like to be able to acquire a pair but not for $1,000+ like what they did.

Also, they need to make them in size 16s. Sick of the size 9 standard....:darnkids

nike has said it themselves that they will make them in 2015 but since the auction no words have seen said since, i guess we just have to sit and wait. i am a sneakerhead myself so im always keeping up to date with that kind of info so if anything comes up i will surely post about it.

nike has said it themselves that they will make them in 2015 but since the auction no words have seen said since, i guess we just have to sit and wait. i am a sneakerhead myself so im always keeping up to date with that kind of info so if anything comes up i will surely post about it.

Do you have a link to where they said that, because I remember just the opposite being said. Where they talked about maintaining the uniqueness of the originals. Any references I've found to 2015 seem to be tongue in cheek references that people took out of context and believed. Stuff like: "power laces won't exist until 2015."

So if you've got a link that back that up, awesome!

-Nick

As far as I know, Nike has never said that. Only thing I have ever seen was the MTV interview with Bob Gale.

MTV: Why now? Why not five years ago or 2015?

Gale: Nike wanted to do this in tiers. This is the beginning.

MTV: So if this year’s shoes don’t have the auto laces, future years’ might?

Gale: Yes! It’s not 2015 yet. It’s only 2011!

MTV: I can’t wait that long! I can’t be patient.

Gale: No one ever can.

That to me does not say Yes we are making Nike's in 2015.

Last edited:
in the video premiering the sneakers and also from people who went to the panel and got the special doc visor shades, if i find the video i will post them

They don't intend to release an elastic-laced 2011 Nike Mag again, but that doesn't mean they won't release a 2015 Power-lacing Nike Mag.

Past comments from Nike have been mixed, but taken as a whole, along with what Gale said, there is at least a strong possibility of a re-release.

From http://www.therpf.com/f9/nike-mags-its-about-time-video-126242/index13.html

My Conversation With Tinker Hatfield & Tiffany Beers About The Nike Air MAG | Marcus Troy

Are there any plans to ever release them as a regular release later on in the future?

No. To preserve the value of what people will spend for these shoes and the money that will — and hopefully, again, that’ll be as much as we can get for each shoe, so the amount of money to charity is the most we can come up with — In order to preserve that, we’re not going to re-release this shoe and we’re not going to commercialize it any further. What you will see, though, probably sometime in the future is that there will be some– this shoe has already helped inspire some unique design features on some new shoes and we are committed to designing shoes in the future that do come alive and do sense your body and do certain things, so this is a precursor to the future of probably all athletic shoes we design.

From http://www.therpf.com/f9/nike-mags-its-about-time-video-126242/index21.html

They wont rerelease these, they'll just release a better, power lacing version.
Exactly.

GREAT SCOTT! The Nike MAG Release Party! | Bubble Punch

Then, NIKE MAG designer, and all around LEGENDARY shoe engineer (he invented the original PUMP shoe!), Tinker Hatfield came out to be interviewed by Joel about the MAG. Tinker insists that these are the first generation of the MAG shoes, and by 2015, the REAL Nike MAG will be released with SELF LACING ABILITY just like in the movie!

From http://www.therpf.com/f9/nike-mags-its-about-time-video-126242/index13.html

So I had a brief moment to speak with Mark Parker tonight (CEO of Nike) at the event. I told him that I have wanted a pair of these since I was 9 and asked if there was any chance that something may happen.

paraphrasing:

"i don't know - we gotta see how this goes, we only made 1500 pairs -- maybe by 2015 we will have the power laces - hopefully."

Doesn't really answer anything, but there it is.

From http://www.therpf.com/f9/nike-mags-its-about-time-video-126242/index46.html

take this with a grain of salt. God knows what can happen between now and 2015.

But I had the honor of serving (yes, I'm a server) a member of Nike legal tonight at dinner. I made a joke about the Mags and said I was sad they didn't do a wider release.

"They're releasing them again in 2015 with the electric laces, don't worry."

He was a really cool guy and I'm glad I got that little tidbit. Even when I asked - "But isn't that gonna make all those people who spent thousands on them really mad?"

"They got theirs 4 YEARS ahead of everyone else so its all good."

god's honest truth. :love

Last edited:
NIKE is a money making company and if it feels the need to release their own product in a larger 2nd release, I think they have all the right to do so. The 2011 first release was for a special fund raise and they exceeded their own expectations. Those that paid the high fee for the shoes should know that their money went to a great cause and not feel that they have been ripped off or that their purchase just lost value. The 2011 MAG shoes were a limited run of 1510 pairs. They will always hold their value to the true collector.

Sure I saw nike had patented a self lacing design...... Which screams out to me they have a design and a workable setup on a shoe at this current time......Still I expect them to be expensive Until competitors do there variant on self lacing then the price will tumble to affordable levels.

So my chances of ever owning a wearable pair for me is nonexistent? Bah
Not if a select few here have their way :love

Cloneprops has begun to upload his amazing 3D models of the his MAG parts to shapeways. His (what I think is 100% accurate) Ankle Buckle is already available (I've got a pair in production now) and I hope he will soon make the other parts (Heel Cup, and soles etc) available as well.

I am doing what I can to make a simple to assemble, fully wearable upper.
Here is where I am with that.
nike-mag-build-number-2-dscf3113.jpg-132225d1355666866
This is US10 but could be scaled out to size 23 if need be.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back