Firefly - Mal Reynolds

I thought about getting the brown superhero boots from caboots.com until I tripped over these bad boys. Can't beat $15.

Would just need to be dyed brown if at all possible.

Just FYI, those holster and belt rigs aren't really accurate(man, that sounds snobby. Believe me, not meant to be :lol). The buckle is the wrong type. It's not as wide and taller than the original, therefor making the belt the wrong size too. And the holster looks like it's made to fit the pistol shown in the photo with it. I doubt it will fit on of Phil's kits.

As soon as my pistol from Phil gets here, I'll be starting on a holster pattern for it. I'll have more info to share later.

Edit:
Also, GD, I'll be getting back to you soon on the suspenders.

Had noticed the inaccuracies myself, doesnt help that he's got a clear picture with the trouble with the holster shape and buckle visable on the auction page I guess.
Can't wait to hear more about the holster and belt rig and suspenders :D

The boots look pretty close Mage. I got a similar pair recently that I tried before my jedi style ones, not quite as good as those, but found that 12" just didnt seem tall enough (The jedi ones I have are 17"). So 14" seems a pretty decent height on those too.
Dying brown wouldnt be a problem there's plenty of spray colours for various leather out there.

It's not snobby at all when you know your stuff. :thumbsup

I think the eBay guy makes the holsters custom for the particular pistol.

Do you have any suggestions or notions regarding the Firefly boots? (Sorry if I seem to be obsessing on it -- I've just been looking REALLY hard for something like them)

Seems to me the only way you're going to get something accurate is to make them yourself. The ones on the show look like they started out as a slip-on shoe, and then the rest from the ankle up is fabricated. If you're looking for something you can buy already done, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I haven't found anything, but to be fair, I haven't looked very hard. There could be some good substitues out there somewhere.

That's what I was afraid of. :cry I guess now's as good a time to learn this stuff as any though. They look to be a leather pac boot of some sort with a tricked out upper.

EDIT:
Or not. It's not thick enought to be a pac boot, but the toe is similar. :unsure

I think that the boots from Firefly are just slip on leather shoes. You can see the seam line around the top of the foot where they added the spat.
I would say find some nice brown shoes. Add the leather strip down the middle of the toe area, add the two half circle pieces to the sides, and then make a spat that fits over and your good to go. I am starting on a pair myself quite soon. My Brown coat is in the works as well.

Originally posted by TimDrakeRobin@Dec 10 2005, 04:11 AM
...My Brown coat is in the works as well.
[snapback]1132787[/snapback]​

I agree about the boots, definately looks like the upper portion was added.
Did you go with Space-city for the Brown coat?

:) No trouble at all.

I've pretty much finished playing about with the boots and I'm quite pleased with them. The saddle pants arrived this morning. They're going off to have the brown stripes added first thing in the morning.

Couldnt help but take a picture to show how its coming along.
MalCostume.jpg

I love the outfit so far. One question though, shouldn't the glove be brown? From what I remember they looked brown in the series, or are you going with the movie outfit?

:D Thank you all. I'm really pleased with it all so far.

I'm doing the outfit from the series, but I might start on the movie version when I'm finished.
I'm really not sure about the gloves, I remembered them being black and went from this picture:
12505__firefly_l.jpg

Guess I'll have to watch through the series again to double check...oh well. :angel

Originally posted by Mage@Dec 9 2005, 01:27 PM
I tripped over these bad boys.  Can't beat $15.

I have those boots. Just a word of warning: they're not very tall. Maybe mid-calf at most. probably not tall enough for a Mal costume unless you lengthened them yourself.

Those cavalry boots look like they could be really good too. Contacted the seller about brown ones before I bought mine, but was told they're only available in black, so they'd have to be recoloured.
I bought mine from seller: 'smokespoon72' on eBay. He sells them for about $200 a pair, but occasionally puts them up with a low start and they rarely go over $40. which is when I bought mine.

Originally posted by Mage@Dec 13 2005, 10:24 AM
I found these today doing a Froogle search for jedi boots

Yeah, actually the first time I watched the Firefly DVDs recently those Eastern Coast costume boots came to mind when I saw Mal's. His boots always seemed to have that kind-of bulbous toe to them. Those are cheap enough too to use as a base and alter or add to them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back