Firefly - Mal Reynolds

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WOLFMANN @ Dec 3 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1370921[/snapback]</div>
As soon as I can find the site again I will let you know where you can get an exact copy of Mal's boots. It the same company that made his orginial boots. I have to tell you that the boots are not cheap. The last time I checked they were $385 plus S&H.[/b]

It's not the motorcowboy boots? Those go for something like $385.

well, i just called Steve Madden, but was transfered to the Marketing person, whom wasn't in the office, so I left a message, and hopefully we will get a quick response.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimDrakeRobin @ Dec 4 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]1371212[/snapback]</div>
and they are not exact. I comissioned them from motor cowboy, gave them planyu of refrence and they messed em up, well I wasnt happy with em that is.
[/b]

Wow, that is pretty lame. The worst part for me is the soles, as I've gotten used to motorcowboy boot details being "almost there." The lame leather boots soles they choose to use are nowhere near the type of sole on the shoes used for the screen used boots.

And they're also missing the ribbing on the side. Apparently they weren't able to figure out how to recreate it, or so I heard.

I've also thought they just look too heavy and clunky. All in all, a very disappointing "recreation".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(defyitall @ Dec 4 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]1371208[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WOLFMANN @ Dec 3 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1370921[/snapback]
As soon as I can find the site again I will let you know where you can get an exact copy of Mal's boots. It the same company that made his orginial boots. I have to tell you that the boots are not cheap. The last time I checked they were $385 plus S&H.[/b]

It's not the motorcowboy boots? Those go for something like $385.
[/b][/quote]
Yes they are from motorcowboy. They have changed their story line and have dropped their price to $325 now. Their first story was that they made the orginial boots for the Firefly series and now they are saying that they make a "very good recreation" of the boots. After looking closely at their boots and the pictures of the orginal boots I can see that they are not even close. The boot soles are all wrong among other things. Sorry about that. I will look closer at something before I say anything about it. If anyone still wants the link it is: www.motorcowboy.com/product/CAPT1. For the kind of money they are asking for the boots I would think that they would turn out a better "recreation". I don't make boots myself but I make most of my own leather goods. I've made so many sword scabbards and weapons belts that I can just about make them in my sleep. That's what happens when you belong to the SCA and they find out you have some skill that they can abuse.

The sad thing is, beyond making your own or commissioning a custom job, these boots are the only route for anyone wanting to do a god Mal costume.

That's pretty ballsy of them to have once said they made the boots from the show. As it was relayed to my by Shawna Trpcic, they bought some Steve Madden shoes, and took them to a cobbler in LA, who bootified them. I wish I knew the name of the cobbler...that would be cool (not that he'd likely still have the shaft pattern).

I had looked into having the boots custom made, but the guy I went to quted me something like $700. I passed, and am now on the "make you own" kick. I've got a pair of shoes that are similar, and I've drafted a pattern for the shafts. Now, I just have to get the leather. Once the shafts are made, I'll take them to a shoe repair shop and have them attached.

Last edited:
I never saw motorcowboy saying they had made the originals. Got mine straight away when they became available. When they had the limited-time lower price when they'd just unvailed them. Said they were 'a good recreation' then too.

Yeah, I remember the first time they put them up on their site. I think I got an email about it or something. It never said they made the originals.

Back when I was contemplating doing a Mal costume for Halloween this year I looked into shoes to use to recreate the boots. I found some decent Steve Madden shoes at a Shoe Pavilion that had a similar sole and stitching lines down the front. They were too light of a brown though. I had planned on using those as a base. Buying some of those cheap vinyl costume boots off ebay and modyfing the tops to use as the spats. Then spraying it all with Nu-Life to get the color consistent.

Has anyone looked into the sketchers brand of shoe?
I was in a store yesterday and saw the 2 toned sole with similar features on them.
I just haven't had time to compare them to screen caps.

I've looked at a number of Sketchers, but never found any with a close enough sole. I'd be interested to hear about the ones you saw though.

I checked the sketchers site, but didnt find anything that would be close enough to it...I'm hoping Phil will be able to getsome info from Nathan when they give him his pistol.

I doubt Nathan will know. It's been a few years since he wore them, and they're currently sitting in a warehouse over at FOX. All Shawna Trpcic was able to tell me was that they were Steve Madden shoes that they bought locally, and had alterd by a cobbler in LA.

Any other source we could call? see if there are any reciepts, sale forms of the cobbler?

I'm getting no help from Steve Madden, I keep calling the PR rep here in the States with no response.

It's altogether possible that the shoes were an older model when bought in 2001 or whenever. Since Bloomingdale's is a very expensive store. Could have been purchased on clearance. We might be looking at a shoe that is up to 5-6 years old.

see that is the thing though, we dont know for sure that they are in fact steve madden. We have to e-mails from Shawna giving us two different Brand of shoes as the base. I got the e-mail stating that they were Square toed Rubber soled Marc Jacobs dress shoes bought on sale at Bloomingdales, and we have another email stating that they are steve madden, so I think we need to focus on these two brands and just put out an all points bulletin and see what we can dig up. Team work will track these down.

Exactly...but even being that they MAY be 5-6 even, who knows, 10 years old, Steve Madden won't get back to me, sayin they "don't keep track of what shoes of theirs were in TV shows and movies"

Obviously, they are just not wanting to help, because I asked if they would be able to tell me what kind of shoe it could have been, and I was replicating one that was used in a TV show.

I asked them if they would have any old catalogs at all of teir shoes from certain years back. But I have recieved no response via email or phone yet. I'm gonna keep trying and just keep this thing up....even if I have to do it kicking and screaming. As for Marc Jacobs, are we talking like the Old Vans/Converse Marc Jacobs or hardcore dress company?

I even sent Steve Madden links to photos of the boots, in an effort for them to identify what style of shoe they were. I'm pretty sure they didn't even bother looking at them.

I'm starting to get really annoyed with that company.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back