Firefly - Mal Reynolds

No problem. I have some very detailed photos of Mal's costume pieces, as I'm in the process of trying to do a recreation of it.

I've been following the progress of your sculpt on the modeling board. I look forward to seeing the final product.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zeppo @ Nov 22 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]1363813[/snapback]</div>
No problem. I have some very detailed photos of Mal's costume pieces, as I'm in the process of trying to do a recreation of it.
I've been following the progress of your sculpt on the modeling board. I look forward to seeing the final product.
[/b]
Cool. Well... you wouldn't happen to have a ref picture of the back of his boot too? I don't have one, but decided to add a seam-line up the back, as I have at the front and just wanted to see if that was accurate and also to see how the area at his heel looks like. That's pretty much the only ref part I was lacking - though, I think I can say right now that my sculpt is an interpretation and may not be 100% accurate... so don't go scrutinize it too thoroughly boys, when the time comes. :lol

Looking forward to seeing your finished result on the costume. :thumbsup

Ack, that's actually one thing I've been unable to find either, no matter how hard I've looked thus far.

For the pattern I'm making for the upper shaft on the boots for my costume, I'm going with a seam up the back. I'm also offsetting the seam on the band at the top of the boot, the same way it is on the front. It's going to be about a half an inch towards the inside.

I found this interesting though. If you look at the boots in this picture, they appear to have a different sole on them.

http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity211.jpg

Yeah Zeppo, I took a screen cap of that today and thought the same thing.

Seeing how that was the Pilot episode, they hadn't put much into the boots, and those were just the stunt boots, and hadn't finished the hero?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LittleOleBountyHunter @ Nov 22 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]1363862[/snapback]</div>
Yeah Zeppo, I took a screen cap of that today and thought the same thing.
Seeing how that was the Pilot episode, they hadn't put much into the boots, and those were just the stunt boots, and hadn't finished the hero?
[/b]
Well... the boots shown in the other pictures look to be from the promo pictures - are they pre or post pilot?

Upon closer inspection of other photos, I think the soles may just be caked with dust. As I recall, the Eavesdown docks were covered in it.

I was looking at this picture from the pilot (notice the hole on Mal's coat isn't sewn up yet)

[attachmentid=11199]

A close up of the boots shows that there's a lot of dust on the soles.

[attachmentid=11198]

But they're still the same soles we're all looking for.

I swear I have seen this boot (well at least the sole) somewhere.

It looks very similar to the Jango boot sole, so I checked ALOT of different shoe companies like Kenneth Cole, GBX, Sketchers, Vans.

I even went to TDH after remembering alot of people trying to find alternative boots for Jango costumes, and went through all the boot threads....found nothing.

I SWEAR IVE SEEN THIS SOLE BEFORE.

I have a pair of GBX shoes, the Jupiter Peanut model, and it has 4 seams, but and a similar sole. Not really that close of a match, but a good enough substitute till I ID the real thing.

Sent Steve Madden the email with the pictures, and so hopefully we will hear back soon. Until then, I'm still researching through all the sources I can get

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LittleOleBountyHunter @ Nov 22 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1364094[/snapback]</div>
Sent Steve Madden the email with the pictures, and so hopefully we will hear back soon. Until then, I'm still researching through all the sources I can get
[/b]

Hopefully you have more luck with them than I did. I e-mailed them a couple of times, and sent links to photos. Basically I was told that models are replaced every couple of years with something similar, and I should try those.

I don't think the person I was dealing with even looked at the links. I asked if they could take a look at the pictures and at least tell me the model of the shoe. I never heard back.

man, if they give me the cold shoulder, I'll just keep trying till they give me a definitive answer.

I've still been looking for any and all shoes with that sole. I figure I could do like the show did. Specially with how they did Wash's shoes....they might have ripped the sole off and attached their own top to it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LittleOleBountyHunter @ Nov 23 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1364588[/snapback]</div>
man, if they give me the cold shoulder, I'll just keep trying till they give me a definitive answer.

I've still been looking for any and all shoes with that sole. I figure I could do like the show did. Specially with how they did Wash's shoes....they might have ripped the sole off and attached their own top to it.
[/b]

From what I've read all they did was add the upper shaft to the boots (including the spat). The base shoe was intact and original.

Roger that. I keep looking online at thousands of shoes. Hoping to find that sole, but I have yet to find one close enough.

maybe there is some kinda shoe expert out there, who we can send pics to. I can only wish...

I did the same thing. I've spent hours pouring over various shoe websites, going through eBay, everything I could think of to find those gorram things.

Very frustrating.

Well, I searched on TDH helmet a little deeper, in my quest of knowing I had seen a similar sole.

I found these 2.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6084/dscf12712sq.jpg

These were bought by a member there over 6 years ago, he had just picked up.

The other are these.

prada-jango-1.jpg

These are Prada knock offs, and are so far, the most similar sole wise.

The sole on Mal's boots isn't really that complicated. In fact, it's fairly simple...it does have the raised section at the arch, but other than the fact that it's black and white, it's quite plain, not ridged at all. Also, both of those boots have a raised section at the heel that Mal's don't.

Guy's, I'm following this thread with great interest, and you all have some great leads. In my opinion, these are an old pair of Steve Maddens, and like everyone else, I'm scouring the net to find them too. Keep up the great work and research, Jon.

Just heard back from Steve Madden, and like you said Zeppo, they just pretty much blew me off... "we don't keep records of past shoes" is what I was told...

I'm not one to sit back and accept defeat. So I retaliated with my own retor.

"Are you telling me, that in the entire Steve Madden warehouse and Corporate Office there are no later year catalogs sitting around?"

This is just what I call a snag, not gonna let it keep me down.

Yeah, I found them to be extremely unhelpful. I think that's partly why I said to heck with it, and went with the Transit shoes I bought. Not exact, but similar.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimDrakeRobin @ Dec 6 2005, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1130092[/snapback]</div>
Looking good so far...this is what i have gathered
I still need the coat, the boots, the holster and suspenders.
100_5381.jpg

[/b]
As soon as I can find the site again I will let you know where you can get an exact copy of Mal's boots. It the same company that made his orginial boots. I have to tell you that the boots are not cheap. The last time I checked they were $385 plus S&H. Abby Shot at www.abbyshot.com makes Mal's duster but her prices start at $505 plus S&H. Wolfmann

well I made some progress with Steve Madden, I got a reply tonight that got me the number to the Corporate R&D branch. So I'll give them a call tomorrow, and get a little more information from them.

Nice work LOBH, I eagerly await any news of the shoes - and Wolfmann, I'll be curious to check out that link if you find it. That price is a little steep for me, but who knows, maybe a long lost rich relative will die or something.

The boots are the main element I'm missing. Everything else I either have, or have the pieces for that just need to be put together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back