shim/shim stock method for molding

Friko

Hey, anyone out there use or have any information on molding using shim/shim stock method? Im going to be doing a some-what large sculpture and am too lazy to do a clay dividing wall. I've never tried it before and im interested in getting all of the info i can. Im concerned about how deep to place them and if they create any large seam lines and so on. Lets get a conversation going :)
thanks,
Friko

I use them alot. the seam may end up a little larger, but if you plan on cleaning up the seam anyway, it doesnt matter. I use rubber superballs cut in half for my keys.

Matt
featureeffects.com

I use them alot. the seam may end up a little larger, but if you plan on cleaning up the seam anyway, it doesnt matter. I use rubber superballs cut in half for my keys.

Matt
featureeffects.com

Matt,
thanks for replying. That sounds like a good tip. What do you use as the actual shims. I know there are a few things to use out there.
thanks

Easy way is playing cards, make sure they don't absorb too much water if you're using plaster, most cards are plastic coated, not sure about dollar store ones. You can also get precut pieces of Aluminum flashing at the Home Depot as well. Make sure you use proper releases per your mold material.

Tommy

Easy way is playing cards, make sure they don't absorb too much water if you're using plaster, most cards are plastic coated, not sure about dollar store ones. You can also get precut pieces of Aluminum flashing at the Home Depot as well. Make sure you use proper releases per your mold material.

Tommy

Hmm that's an interesting suggestion. With the cards or aluminum what are you using as keys? I never use plaster on large molds so i dont have to worry about any water absorbing.

In my experience, the small steps that are created by overlapping the cards act as keys and I have always had curved parting lines which keep it all lined up without the need for conventional keys. I like the idea of Superballs cut in half, I've seen acorn nuts (the hardware kind not the squirrel kind) I would check out the Fx Lab and search shim stock there, there is a wealth of mold making knowledge there also.

Tommy

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back