Oswin Oswald / Souffle Girl - Doctor Who

kimmerv2

Hi everyone! This is my first post here on the forum - I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated - everyone here is so talented. Here I go!

This past New York ComicCon as a new Doctor Who fan, I wanted to have some Whovian cosplay - and I decided rather late to do it, so my time was very limited. I just love Oswin and her little red dress.

I based my cosplay on this photo I found.

oswincosplay_zpsd50f5686.jpg

I first wasted a few weeks trying to find an already made red dress that I could modify, but found nothing that I liked. Everything was either not the right shade of red, or the wrong style. I finally bit the bullet and decided to try to make it myself.

I used this Cynthia Rowley pattern and modified the neckline. I used version c of the dress, but kept it as a 3/4 sleeve.

1353209567007_zps4885c5d1.jpg

This was my first attempt at sewing anything for myself to wear, so the dress does not fit exactly as I had hoped, but I'm willing to try it again when I have a chance.

I also attempted to make some of the items on her utility belt out of clay and felt.

My source photo:

oswincosplayBELT_zpsca8f9fde.jpg

What I came up with - because of my limited time, I made what I could, then just supplemented with a couple of other items to fill out the belt:

IMG_8033_zps0718e01d.jpg

IMG_8035_zpsefdbbbec.jpg

IMG_8037_zpsa3560f72.jpg

IMG_8039_zpsa9bac1c9.jpg

I searched high and low for a watch to even remotely resemble hers, but found none that I liked:

oswincosplayWATCH_zps90b81587.jpg

I had to make due with taking apart a bracelet I found damaged in a store, creating a clay front piece and painting the whole thing. This was a very last minute addition, so I think I'll try to re-do this - wasn't really happy with it, but felt I still didn't want to go without it.

IMG_8040_zps56f9694a.jpg

IMG_8041_zps62b5e9ef.jpg

I also made a burnt souffle to carry around - it was made of clay, batting and a paper mache box.

IMG_8031_zps8ddb1f5e.jpg

IMG_8032_zpse0e80472.jpg

I then ended up buying red canvas tennis shoes from Levi's - I couldn't find the red hightops she actually wore - and I was on a very tight budget. I also purchased the most affordable wig I could get.

I think in total it cost be around $90 to out the whole thing together. And I think it was finished in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Here is the finished dress:

B101112014120_zpsf120fa4d.jpg

And photos from ComicCon:

At the Nerdist Industries booth

A101312121713_zpse51e4046.jpg

At the Doctor Who Store booth with my burnt souffle

IMG_7675a_zps058a4687.jpg

And with an Amy Pond cosplayer - we were dueling partners at the Harry Potter Wand Dueling session.

IMG_7674a_zps622e3d99.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry for my late reply - have been busy with the holidays.

Thanks for the link as well. I took a look and love the screencaps of the watch. I'm going to have to find some time to work on a new replacement for mine. Those photos will help.

I realize also I might not have also mentioned in my earlier post that I did have to modify the neckline of the dress pattern to get the angled neck of the original.

I also found a photo of the fabric I used from Jo-Ann Fabrics - in the event anyone would want to find the same.

1348255598976_zps18c3b0cd.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back