Star Trek TOS Shuttlecraft

Proper

Now that PL has furnished an outstanding TOS Enterprise kit, does anybody know if a large scale Galileo is a glimmer in anybody's eye over at PL?

What is the best and largest such kit to date, anyway? Is it the 1:50(?) AMT Galileo II from 1991? That's almost too small. I would consider commissioning someone to build her for me—but I might wait to see if PL has any plans on releasing one.

Last edited:
That's freakin' awesome! A retooled, larger kit of the Galileo would be a cut above the previous AMT/Ertl release, if Round 2's attention to detail on the big TOS E is any indication. I'd definitely be interested in one :D

Of course, I'm still in the middle of putting together my own 22-inch studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft, but do hope to have that one done at some point, lol. Other projects take priority over that at the moment.

Here's a link to my WiP thread, if you want to take a look --> http://www.therpf.com/f10/studio-scale-tos-shuttlecraft-89967/

That's awesome! Thanks! Will look into this.....

By the way, how long would a 1:32 scale Galileo be? Does about 10.5 inches sound right?

Depends on if you scale it by the exterior set piece or the interior set as the thing had a bit of a TARDIS effect going on (as most hollywood set pieces usually do).

Eric, I love your project! I hope it comes to fruition as a kit. I would definitely be interested. I'm not a modeler, however, I'm more of a collector, so i would look to commission someone to do the build. I don't collect a wide variety of props or models, presently only TOS, so I could afford to pay a bit extra for a few iconic pieces such as the Galileo shuttlecraft to display near to my Master Replicas Enterprise.

The size of your project at 22" is ideal for my taste. And to allow for interior detail. I believe that's the size of the original filming miniature, too.

Depends on if you scale it by the exterior set piece or the interior set as the thing had a bit of a TARDIS effect going on (as most hollywood set pieces usually do).

I mean the scale to the supposed craft of about 28'.

Last edited:
Thanks, dude. Everyone so far has liked what I've done, although I know everyone would like to see it finished, lol. And you would be correct; the original filming model was 22 inches, hence why I called it "studio scale".

What with a couple other projects on the workbench taking priority over this one (one of those being a commissioned job), I don't know how soon I'll be able to get back to it. I definitely want to, though. It'd be nice to get it done and out to people who'd really like to have one.

I'll be sure to keep you (and everyone else) in the loop when I do ;)

I contacted Round2Models inquiring about any plans on a large scale Star Trek TOS Galileo-type shuttlecraft and Gary Ridge answered back with: "Not at this time." :cry

Feek, I've seen the thread of your fantastic build and I want one of those!

What size Galileo do you think would be popular? A 22" would be an expensive kit ($400+) so that would limit the number of people who could afford it. Randy Cooper had a 12" that looked great but its sold out. It was $225.

If I built a 22" I would not kit it but a smaller one might be a possibility.

Thoughts?

What size Galileo do you think would be popular? A 22" would be an expensive kit ($400+) so that would limit the number of people who could afford it. Randy Cooper had a 12" that looked great but its sold out. It was $225.

If I built a 22" I would not kit it but a smaller one might be a possibility.

Thoughts?

Why would a 22" kit cost $400 plus?? The 32" PL Enterprise kit costs under $150 (+ the extras) and is a much more challenging kit to engineer than a shuttlecraft would be. Still, any fan who is remotely a TOS fan I think would give his left cashew for a studio scale Galileo that is of the caliber of the recent PL Enterprise. I guess the point is that if PL did it it would be affordable.

You can't compare a mass produced (in china) injection molded kit to a garage kit. If a 12" is $225 a kit nearly twice the size will be around double (twice the material) $400 for a 22" kit is pretty average, its more the amount of material then the detail, while the detail would have some consideration with how you did your molds the sheer amount of resin would dictate the price. Youre not going to put out a 22" kit for $120

Also a larger resin kit will need to be stressed for the weight versus a smaller kit. Even built light it will be heavy. Plus R2 will recoup their cost selling thousands of kits...a garage maker wont sell anywhere near that. Yes if R2 did it it would be prob $200 to $300

Why not make it studio scale? The same size as the TOS miniature shuttle used for filming? When I was working at Paramount it was sitting in storage and was later taken out and reused for a background model in the Next Generation series. Its a good hefty size...just wish I had taken pictures of it at the time. I know its sitting in someones collection somewhere.

Why not make it studio scale? The same size as the TOS miniature shuttle used for filming? When I was working at Paramount it was sitting in storage and was later taken out and reused for a background model in the Next Generation series. Its a good hefty size...just wish I had taken pictures of it at the time. I know its sitting in someones collection somewhere.

Per comments above the original model was 22"

I don't have any personal experience in molding/casting yet, so I can't be absolutely certain, but I don't think a 22" studio-scale kit of the TOS Shuttlecraft would have to be that costly.

Yes, the materials involved would definitely warrant a higher cost (I agree you wouldn't be selling a kit like that for around $100), but at the same time "twice the material" wouldn't necessarily be needed for it.

For instance, the material of choice wouldn't have to be only resin. It could be a combination of fiberglass (upper/bottom hull halves, nacelles) and resin (nacelle support struts, "wings", landing gear).

That way, you can keep the cost of the various parts down -- as trying to cast everything in resin alone would obviously be more expensive as you'd need to buy more of it for all the parts -- and allow it to be built up light and sturdy without any additional engineering/strengthening required.

Another way to keep the cost of such a large kit down would be to keep it strictly accurate to the original filming miniature and avoid any sort of interior. A shell kit consisting of both fiberglass and resin parts would be far more affordable than a kit including a fully detailed interior.

In that case, a seller could offer it both as a bare-bones "screen accurate" kit, with the option of an detailed interior available to those who would want something more in their model. Then you could have it more affordable for most everyone.

Anyway, if it were me that's what I'd do to help make it more easily obtainable to everyone, so I think it is possible. Of course, like I said, I have no experience in the area of kit making, but that's what makes sense to me. Just my thoughts on the matter, fellas.

Any kit that has an interior would be more expensive then a kit without. Yes, just a shell could be made more reasonably but you also have to factor in the time and cost of the molds as well. It's not just the resin or resin and fabric. Molds arent cheap and the builder has to recoup the cost of the molds. In the case of a popular kit you need more then 1 set of molds because a mold is only good for so many pulls.

R2 probably spent $10K on tooling but they spread it across thousands of kits, thats why its a $120 kit. Look at comprable kits in the junkyard (size etc) and see where the pricepoint falls. In many cases fibergalss kits are more then all resin ones.

I just finished my Shado Mobile which is comparable to the Galileo but has no full interior.

I think its ridiculous to put an interior into a model that was never scaled for one in the first place. Best way to please the ones who just have to have one is by selling a separate interior kit for the shuttle. That way everyone's happy.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back