The Lone Ranger costume

Buck Rawgers

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or findings on all the different aspects of The Lone Ranger costume Armie Hammer wears in the upcoming movie? I am really interested in putting this costume together but I am not to savvy on distinguishing articles of clothing and such. I mostly just need help identifying the jacket he wears or at least something similar and the hat he wears as well. I think the rest will be relatively easy to find.

I agree with backstagejack on the coat--very period. He reminds me more of a circuit rider than a Ranger, but that maybe just me!?

Hat looks like a vintage Stetson (circa 1930s)....could cost you a right smart unless you can find a knock-off.....

Shylaah

From what I can tell a victorian era black suit with frock coat....it seems fairly standard but without better pics (or the expert of a seamstress, etc) that's the best I can do.

The hat is something you could easily have made by penmanhats.com or buy a stock white cowboy hat from say... millerhats.com and re-bash the crown and shape the brim to your liking.....

He seems to be wearing brown chaps that I can't tell exactly the style, etc... and the mask seems to be a strip of leather but I bet there's something else in there like a soft plastic that's molded to his face.

and again, I could be wrong but his shirt just seems incredibly too modern to me...the collar alone seems very modern, so I'd say a standard white button up shirt....

Honestly, I think it'd be pretty easy to throw this one together...

Yea, i figured this would be relatively simple but I was just having problems beginning my search as I wasn't quite sure of the specific names for things, just kind of a brain fart I guess. That gentlemen's emporium was a great help and just knowing to look for a frock coat is big too. Thanks for the hat websites too, I will be contacting them to ask about making a replica.

penman will be a 3-5 month wait and probably cost you more than you want to pay 300-400 dollars. WELL worth your money though.

millerhats will be cheaper, maybe not a perfect replica and you'd have to bash it yourself to get the look you want. but it'd be a good close enough.

westerstageprops.com

can supply you some decent western supplies as well.
again, all these are going to be close enoughs but would acheive the look you're after.

either way, a good start....

I can see that the penman hats are amazing quality. I just emailed him so we'll see what he says.

Thanks again for all the references, this is great. I found a sister site to that gentlemen's emporium called western emporium that has all clothing I need I think.

Can't wait to show this all off at Comic Con next year, I know its a long ways away but I like to plan ahead to be prepared.

Just found this thread on a random Google search for Lone Ranger costume info. I'm working on a Clayton Moore costume, but will watch your progress to see how it comes out. I'm curious as to what you put together. Good luck.

Mike

The suit will be your toughest match here. His is mostly likely custom made. The don't do a lot of off-the-rack 3-piece frock coat suits, because the period was a bit more mix n match. It also has a very modern cut to it with Frock details, if that makes any sense at all.

I'll help you out since I just put this costume together myself. The coat I'm using is by Wah Maker. It's called "The Vigilante". It's shorter than a frock coat but longer than a jacket. The vest is probably a Wah Maker or Scully brand black canvas vest. Very easy to find online. The pants are dark brown denim or cotton (Levi's makes a 501 that's dark brown). Buy the Neca prop replica mask & badge on Toys-R-Us for 16.99 or Ebay. Here's the Vigilante jacket: Wah Maker Vigilante Town Coat | Wild West Mercantile

I'll help you out since I just put this costume together myself. The coat I'm using is by Wah Maker. It's called "The Vigilante". It's shorter than a frock coat but longer than a jacket. The vest is probably a Wah Maker or Scully brand black canvas vest. Very easy to find online. The pants are dark brown denim or cotton (Levi's makes a 501 that's dark brown). Buy the Neca prop replica mask & badge on Toys-R-Us for 16.99 or Ebay. Here's the Vigilante jacket: Wah Maker Vigilante Town Coat | Wild West Mercantile

What did you do for that hat? I'm having a hard time finding much.

I just bought a cheap off-white hat in Tombstone, Az. Go on Ebay and type in white cowboy hat. A lot of options come up.

Liked the movie a hell of a lot. Here's a little bit of info regarding the Iconic Mask.

Excerpt from the book, "Lone Ranger Behind The Mask"

"The Mask is made out of very soft goat skin leather". explains Lenny MacDonald, who fabricated the masks in the Lab.

"It was vacuum-formed right over Armie's face so that it fits nice and skintight. The leather is heated with warm water, which makes it pliable, and wrinkles are forced into it so it hopefully looks natural."

I read elsewhere that the actual vacuum form is used as a skeleton to support the top layer of leather.

Hope this helps.

Luke

I'm doing this for Halloween this year and have assembled most pieces.

Here's what I did for the coat.
Black Halloween Costume Cheap Jacket Frock Coat Pirate Zombie Halloween 44R | eBay

It was pretty cheap at less than $30 so it was a shot in the dark. It actually is a very nice coat, despite being described as 'cheap' in the description. The lower back isn't split and doesn't have the lower back buttons, but other than that it's a great match to his coat.

NECA makes a great Texas Ranger pin and mask. Make sure you get the replica mask and not the costume mask, which is cheap.

I got really lucky and found a pretty much exact match to the pattern on the kerchief in our scrap material box. I've had a bitch of a time finding a gun belt / holster. I have a 38" waist and the one I bought said "fits up to 40" and doesn't. Have to scramble to find one but don't want to spend $150 on one. Any suggestions?

Mark

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back