Mal Reynolds Firefly Costume

Minime1034

Hi everyone,

I know this is about a decade late =P But finally decided to have a go at making my own Mal Reynolds costume from the Firefly series (not the Serenity version).

To start with, I got the following items from Ebay, Primark etc.

Trousers - Chinos from Primark

MalReynoldsTrousers.jpg

Jacket from Ebay

MalReynoldsJacket.jpg

Holster from Ebay

MalReynoldsHolster.jpg

Gloves from Ebay

MalReynoldsGloves.jpg

I also managed to get really lucky, and after doing ALOT of reading of previous threads on this forum, and a bit (understatement) of searching around online, I found the actual type of belt and braces used in the series...

German WW2 Officers Luger Belt

MalReynoldsBelt.jpg

Israeli Defence Force (IDF) Suspenders

MalReynoldsBraces.jpg

I was worried that I had missed any opportunities to get the suspenders, as there were no records of any being sold since 2009... I nearly got beaten to these ones too, a bit of furious last minute bidding on Ebay saw me emerge victorious though :lol

I have ordered a pair of Star Wars costume boots to make do until I can afford to get something better, and I have some 1" Coffee Brown and White Grosgrain Ribbon currently winging its way to me from Hong Kong.

I got the ribbon from: 1" 25mm Stripe Printed grosgrain ribbon BOW 5/10/50/100 yards (U pick 10 colors) | eBay

I had to message them and ask if they had any dark brown ribbon, as the options on the above product were only for black or light brown, but fortunately they did have some in stock :)

Next Steps

I have started work on the jacket, removing the elbow pads, pocket cover and some wierd bits around the shoulder area. I need to cut it shorter (it is currently down to my ankles...) and then I can use some of the cuttings to test different dyes and also to cover up the shoulder pads, as they are not added on top of the material but rather built in.

I also have a plain white shirt which I need to dye and change the buttons, I am going for a burgundy colour.

Thanks.

I've found nice burgundy button ups at the local thrift stores. Also are you planning on converting your IDF suspenders? I think I've done about 5 sets lol. I look forward to seeing it all out together, good luck!

I've got some burgundy dye sat in my room, just need to get it done.

And I've got these currently on the way too for the suspenders (forgot to mention in my first post):

HAND CRAFTED LEATHER" BUTTON ON FASTENINGS FOR BRACES" (SUSPENDERS IN USA ) | eBay

Is there anything else I would need to do to them?

Oh cool ya you'll need those. You need to remove the thin straps on the back and stitch in elastic in a "V" and at the bottom of the V attach your elastic together with the leather button snap.

malsuspenders2.th.jpg

Thanks Sean, that's what I thought too.

And thanks for the help Sun, I'll be uploading more pics when I get everything altered.

Its my last day at work on Friday, so between then and christmas I'll be busying myself with the amendments.

Well still having issues getting the grosgrain ribbon, but should have some in a couple of weeks =/

Will attempt to get some pics up when I start editing the pieces. Fortunately, however, the boots arrived. I got some jedi boots from ebay, as I can't find any boots online anywhere near the appearance of Mal's for a decent price, and still being on a budget for the moment.

Ok sorry for the delay =P Had lots going on so haven't been able to do much.

Got the bottom half of the costume sorted =D

20130307_183857_zps41a989cd.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, if you need any advice or help let me know. I have done both FF and the Serenity versions, both. And I even had Nathan Fillion himself be impressed and take pictures with his own camera at Dragoncon one year of my Serenity version costume. I got my FF boots from a guy in Guatamala. the pants I did myself, the suspenders myself, the holster from the original source for the series and the shirt from a western store. Great start though, cant wait to see the finished project.

Cheers =]

Calib, if I can think of anything I will ask it =]

Lycan, I would but unfortunately there would be big problems doing that (I ca guarantee that the crotch area would become far too uncomfortable, its barely got much room anyway haha)

Heiro... The ribbon was a nightmare to some extent haha. I was only able to get 1.5", not the 1" they used in the show. I had to fold the ribbon over and sew it so that it was 1" wide, then sew them onto the trousers, just behind the seam.

Heiro... The ribbon was a nightmare to some extent haha. I was only able to get 1.5", not the 1" they used in the show. I had to fold the ribbon over and sew it so that it was 1" wide, then sew them onto the trousers, just behind the seam.

Haha! That's terrible, but from the pic it turned out great.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back