Battletech Ares Kitbash N-scale Pic-Heavy

Sigma-LS

Sr Member
I figured since I never post my Battletech stuff on here, this would be a good opportunity to post an example case. This piece is for an Iron Painter competition so I can't release it on my usual Btech haunts. The theme of the contest is "Cannon" so I went with one of the most hated beasts that needed the most serious upgunning, the tripod prototype Ares mech.

Started with the Poseidon version of the clicktech gamepiece, removed all weapons and lower arms but the chinmounted dual lasers and hit my parts bin for goodies. I'd been collecting parts for this particular modification for about a year so I already knew that the rear artillery cannon would be as well as the left arm.

I made sure to keep all the articulation intact.

IMG_2308-1.jpg

IMG_2339-1.jpg

I did a lot of putty work to meld the parts correctly and primed in gray then gave her the primary heavy blackwash from my homemade Applebarrel/Future mix.

IMG_2366-1.jpg

For the paintscheme as part of the "Cannon/Canon" pun, I went with the unit scheme for the Republic of the Sphere unit most likely to have this Project Rhodes beast out on the field of battle, Stone's Lament. This is a skeleton on black scheme, or as I call them The Voodoo Sues.

I based the skull loosely on a big cat skull and winged most of the rest of it, the body of the Ares is not particularly conducive to a anatomically-correct skeletal scheme what with the 3 cockpits and 3 legs and everything.

Roughing out the bones in Reaper Buckskin.

IMG_2383.jpg

Cleaning up the bones and giving them an outline in Micron .5mm ink. My original screwups on the humerus come home to roost at this point.

IMG_2418.jpg

Now, detailing and weathering. After gunmetal bits and shading the bones, I drybrushed dirt at the feet, painted and jeweled the cockpits, added decals and graffiti and effects. The big decal for some reason chewed through some of my black down to the primer. I should have sealed that bit with future first. I tried to fix it as best I could but it still has that "fix a screwup" look about it.:facepalm

Base is milliput and ballast with some dressing. The car is made via the old tamped aluminum foil trick then lovingly crushed under the mechs foot. Road sign reads "Keep Right, No Passing"

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2461-1.jpg

And base completed and contest photos taken. I couldn't really capture the black as well as I like against this background, but I'm happy with it.

IMG_2708-1.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

And record sheet for gameplay attached.

Well done and I like the skeleton paint jo. It's always nice to see people doing custom battletech stuff. Good luck at the competition.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back