The Official "I Love my Mattel Hoverboard" Thread

***Please don't merge this thread with the other Mattel thread, Mods...you'll understand why in a moment***

blah.jpg

I know there's an existing Mattel Hoverboard thread and I've been following it from day one...but it's so drawn out and overly negative that I decided to start THIS one for the people who actually LIKE their board. I'm sure within a day or two, even THIS thread will be filled with negative comments and accusations that I'm a Mattel plant (I'm not...check my past threads if you don't believe me. I've been here for awhile) but I just wanted to spread my love for the board and I know that as more boards are delivered, others may feel the same way.

So I opened up my board this morning after I got home from work (a swipe straight through the glue with a butcher knife did the trick) and honestly? I ******* LOVE IT. All inaccuracies aside, I think it's just fantastic. I fully admit that I'm looking at the board with rose-colored, nostalgia-soaked glasses, but isn't love for the movies why we got into this hobby in the first place? When I was seven years-old, I waited in a line that wrapped around the movie theater to catch BTTF 2 opening night, and after it was done, the number one thing on my mind was "Hoverboard, hoverboard, hoverboard." Even though Mattel's doesn't fly, pulling that thing out of the box felt almost magical. The only way the feeling could get any better is if I had walked into Toys R Us, not knowing ANYTHING about a hoverboard release, and finding them stacked in neat rows on the showcase shelves near the front entrance of the store.

Quality-wise, it's solid as a rock and (like many have said before) constructed pretty beefily. It doesn't feel cheap in the least and I was even able to stand on it over carpet without feeling like it was going to snap in two. Thankfully, my decals were applied accurately and throughly, not a single air bubble or crease (maybe I got lucky?). There were two air bubbles visible through one of the top pink velcro sections and the green footpad velcro, but I was able to tamp them out. On the backside, I found a scratch on the silver section of the front magnet, and the black paint that encircles both magnets could use some work.

Functionwise, the hoverboard sound effects are great! Not only are they fairly loud and responsive, you can feel rumbling if you hold it by the back end. The "gliding" effiect would only be effective if you're a small child. A couple of years ago, I remember purchasing these carpet skates that the board reminded me of. The ball area of the shoe was textured and the idea was you could run on the balls of your feet and then lay your feet flat to glide across the carpet like 10 or 15 feet (think about that shot in "The Breakfast Club" when they all skid down the hallway trying to avoid Vernon). The boards pads would work the same way...but as solid as they are, I wouldn't try it myself (maybe I'll wait until my boy Jack is a bit older and see if HE can pull it off? I'll make sure he's wearing a Griff helmet just in case ;P ). Lastly, the display stand looks and works fine...but I kinda wanna put together a wire one like the one Bob Gale has.

No matter how happy I am with the board, I am planning upgrades:

1. Carefully remove the clear tape on the top of the board joining the decal halves together. I'm sure they were only temporarily neccessary during the application process fo the decal, so I doubt the decals will peel off if I get rid of them.

2. Replacing the green velcro strips on the footpad, but NOT adding the velcro strips on the rest of the board. Stepping on the board and playing around with it, I realized that the velcro strips are actually functional, serving as grip tape for your unsecured foot...but the pink velcro already serves that purpose.

3. Replacing the velcro footstrap for fur. This has more to do with the size of the velcro footstrap and less to do with film accuracy: The Mattel strap is WAY TOO LARGE to securely fit over any of my shoes.

4. Sanding down the copyright info and repainting the battery pack cover. Since it's a solid piece, it shouldn't be hard at all. Plus, a post on the other Mattel thread found a couple good matches for paint colors too.

5. Repainting the black outline of the magnets. I'll give it a few passes with some 400 grit sandpaper and then spray on some satin black.

6. Repainting the magnets. That scratch is going to bug me, I know it.

I'm still toying with the idea of replacing the "Hover Board" logo with Roland's, but for now, I'm fine with it. It'd would be awesome if Roland put together a Mattel upgrade version of his decal that fit the Mattel boards perfectly, but that's asking ALOT.

So that's that, everyone. I'll be posting my upgrade WIP shots here when I get to it, and I welcome others to do the same AND post their love for the board as well.

-Jonaas

Last edited:
Well I just opened my board and I love it. My sticker is perfectly applied Two tiny pieces of tape which seem to be applied the way I would do it. On the 2 part sticker. For those having a problem with the stand it snapes on the battery box. Look for the indentations on the battery box to put the stand in. My wife purchase this for my only Christmas present and I think she is great. Thanks you honey!
Mark

... I'm still toying with the idea of replacing the "Hover Board" logo with Roland's, but for now, I'm fine with it. It'd would be awesome if Roland put together a Mattel upgrade version of his decal that fit the Mattel boards perfectly, but that's asking ALOT. ...

Do you really think I would leave you all alone with that Mattel disaster? No, let's fix up together what Mattel screwed up! :lol

Great thread!! My board should (hopefully) be here tomorrow. I have been waiting decades for this moment. I doubt I will get much sleep tonight. Adorable kid, by the way!

Got my board today. Obviously not SA but still awesome to unbox and display. If Roland does an upgrade kit I'm totally in.

Got my board today. Obviously not SA but still awesome to unbox and display. If Roland does an upgrade kit I'm totally in.

Right on, friend. We're definitely in the minority here, but it's nice to know others are happy with it. I still check out the other Mattel Hoverboard thread daily and it makes me sad that so many people are so bent out of shape over their board.

-Jonaas

I like mine I most likely won't change it. As toys that people didn't like when they come out are the one that go up in price. Example: The GI Joe nurse. It is worth more then any of the Joes. With that said there is so much info out there I think it is a great time to try to make one. If I can find some lenticular material, pink and green velcro tape and the correct pink fur. I will make one. I am excided.
Mark

I like mine I most likely won't change it. As toys that people didn't like when they come out are the one that go up in price. Example: The GI Joe nurse. It is worth more then any of the Joes. With that said there is so much info out there I think it is a great time to try to make one. If I can find some lenticular material, pink and green velcro tape and the correct pink fur. I will make one. I am excided.
Mark

You have a point there...all this time, I didn't even think about the collectible nature of the board. I may have to pick up another board and keep it sealed in the box. It might be worth tons one day because of Mattel destroying the surplus boards that were returned on December 19th, right? :lol

-Jonaas

Mark

I agree with this, this is why I am not altering my board. However I did pull it out of the box and is on display in my living room.

When i got mine it had no pealing or bubbling, I guess they stepped up there quality control.

Starting to feel more positive about it all and fingers crossed no bubbles!

While I WAS worried about mine having those large creases we heard about, I wasn't too worried about bubbles. To get rid of them for good, simply make a teeny, tiny nick in the bubble with an Xacto knife and then push the air out. For good measure, hit the spot with a hair dryer for a few moments to melt the adhesive and secure the stickers even more (I actually got out the air bubbles that were on my Velcro straps this way and they haven't returned). In fact, I gave both the top and bottom stickers a few passes with the hairdryer just along the edges to make sure there wouldn't be any peeling.

-Jonaas

I've had my hoverboard a few days now and I am very happy with it. Since Jonaas had his kid in a picture, I thought I'd add mine.

5dffb6444c3f474fedc754a61fa51114.jpg

I've had my hoverboard a few days now and I am very happy with it. Since Jonaas had his kid in a picture, I thought I'd add mine.

5dffb6444c3f474fedc754a61fa51114.jpg

I saw this on the other thread! Awesome, awesome stuff, sir! Seriously, what you gotta do is frame this photo somewhere so when Madi gets older and asks about it you can casually say something like "Oh that? That was the hoverboard we got for you when you were a baby! It was all the rage back then."

I want one of these boards so badly.

With the reaction that the board has been getting from everyone, I have a feeling it won't be too hard for you to get a hold of one :lol

-Jonaas

Nice thread!

I also really dig the board. The rose-tinted specs really kicked in once I had it in-hand. BTTF is my favorite movie (movie/franchise), so accurate or not, it still felt so sweet taking it out of the box for the first time.

The actual plastic board is solid, they just really dropped the ball on the detail work. I'm really stoked for some nicer decals, all in all the thing that bugs me the most is that purple. It's not bad, it could have been better, but for what it is - it's pretty awesome. But Roland's sweet new graphics will make it so much nicer.

Within 10 seconds of unboxing mine, i noticed at least 4 inaccuracies with the decals (first was the lack of lenticular foil). The letting on the battery box kinda bugged me as well.
All in all, i am very happy with the board for the price. i will be looking into improving on the detail stuff; A purpose built decal upgrade kit would be the bomb!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back