Materials question for flexible parts

decaturvader

Sr Member
Hello RPF,
With the great tutorials and advise here, I have been able to make some neat small parts. Thanks for being a great resource for the novice.

I have a new project that requires my small item to flex.

Imagine the plastic lid from a dish like Cool Whip, Bondo or Butter.
You can cut that stuff up into strips and curl em and twist em, yet, they seem to retain memory when you let go.

Well, I want to make an action figure belt that I can do just that - flex it.

I'd have to imagine in this day and age, someone like Smooth-On has exactly what I am looking for that I can pour into a mold and let it set up - I just can't figure out my keyword searches because i am inexperienced.

thanks in advance.

thanks for writing.
Would the urethane rubber be somewhat softer than those clear plastic lids for cans of Bondo?
I'd like the material to be quite similar to that type of plastic, but in yellow and from a mold I make off my sculpt.

ahh, just had a tip fall into my lap.
Smooth-On has a product called Task 16 that might do the job.

It sounds like it might be a good candidate for my project - but the viscosity is thick. My item will have some small details and I "think" there runs the chance of air bubbles.

Anyone have any experience with Task 16?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back