Resin or fiberglass over foam iron man suit?

BrandtFX

Hey there!

I was just wondering if its possible to do resin or fiberglass over a foam iron man suit?

I love the comfort factor of the foam suit idea but the other thing that makes me shy away from it is the flexibility and the texture when painted.

Any advice would be great! I want to get started fairly soon!

Thanks!!

I am by no means an expert but having had some issues using foam in the past I wouldnt think this was the best idea. I think the solvents in the resin would affect the foam, by distorting it or even by dissolving it. I think this is why you have to seal foam with PVA before painting it.

I agree it would be a great idea as foam is a quick way of creating costumes freehand or with PEP but doesnt give the best surface finish :(

Why not give it a test?

well, xrobot's resin over foam is a good example. pva layers then 65d on top . glossy and smooth texture and yet still flexible enough .

I know that resin will eat spray foam, but haven't tried on foam mat. I'm pretty sure it would do the same considering how caustic it can be.

From what I've read here though, sealing it with PVA(white glue) and or Plasti-Dip should seal it enough to apply paper/fiberglass/cloth and resin. I'm starting a foam project myself and will hopefully know for sure in a month or so when I try it haha.

i am no expert but i made a foam IM suit and wasn't to happy with it, i toowanted somehing a bit more durable so i added fiber glass resin and fiber glass to the suit after a few trial and error i noticed that adding a light fast drying coat of resin to foam works great makes it a bit stiffer

after 3-4 coats i sanded down added a few bondo here and there and the suit look just as good as a full fiberglass suit

ill leave a link to my build you decide

http://www.therpf.com/f24/another-ironman-mkiv-battle-suitish-pic-heavy-168197/

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back