Space Battleship Yamato Painting

DanY

I finally broke down and have a Bandai 1/350 Yamato coming my
way from Japan.

I'm looking for paint color advice. Primarily I am wondering about
Master Modellers or Tamiya colors to match the main hull colors,
gray upper hull and the below waterline dark red.

I have considered not painting it as it's molded in color but the
main guns are bare metal and need to be somewhat matched to
the hull gray color.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I hope you get a number of replies, but I think they're going to have one thing in common which is (get ready for this a lot): it depends.

Do you want to base it on the game that it's sourced from, on the anime (take your pick), on the 2199 paint schemes? Are you going to modify it to resemble the live action version?

For my own (though I won't buy the :350, not a fan of a few of the changes, esp. the damn engine cone), the :1000 and :700 having a bit more subdued and maybe closer to anime paint scheme can be fun, but for the :500 and for the :350, I'd get at least two or three blue-greys going and shoot for 'real'. A lot of modelers have also favored metallics instead of or in combination with the blue and the red, and markings and gun coloration have basically been brought forward from the WWII era ship.

For specifics, I've used Medium Blue, Haze Grey, Hull Red, Monza Red that's warmed up/knocked back a bit, deck tans and I think even some radome colors (I've got a pretty funky off-white swatch on one of my grey cards that I can't figure out), pretty much you name it in those areas. These are usually over dark/rust primers. Sucks to say but one of the cards I have I didn't write anything on... dunno what the hell I was doing.

Also, if crossing manufacturers is a bit daunting, you've got to know about this page:
Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part II

You could even go so far as to dive into FSM colors for the real ships and tweak some additional color in to evoke the anime coloring, yeah?

Good luck, have a blast.

I finally broke down and have a Bandai 1/350 Yamato coming my
way from Japan.

I'm looking for paint color advice. Primarily I am wondering about
Master Modellers or Tamiya colors to match the main hull colors,
gray upper hull and the below waterline dark red.

I have considered not painting it as it's molded in color but the
main guns are bare metal and need to be somewhat matched to
the hull gray color.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Congrats! I have this one, but it sadly has sat in it's box since last year. It was a gift, and I was going to give it a try (it has been many years since I've built any model) but the manual is entirely in black and white, and Japanese. I don't have a clue where to go, and will have to find someone who can built it for me at some point. You'll love the detail that goes into it thought. Even in pieces, it's still an amazing thing to see.

Cheers,

Guy

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back