BTTF Marty Sunglasses

Vivek

Master Member
Posted this earlier in a older thread in the costumes forum, but thought it's better to start a new thread to help identify this.

This BTTF related office memo along with script changes got sold few hours ago. This of course is in relation to the older script where it's mentioned that Marty wears Porsche mirrored sunglasses. They might have changed it during actual production, if not the exact model of Porsche sunglasses could be identified.

Items for Sale - Movie: Back To The Future, Item: Inter-Office Memo & Script Changes

11926_4.jpg

I checked the 4th draft of the script, Porsche was also mentioned there.

Marty's glasses were discussed at BTTF.com in the following threads

Marty McFly Costume Help!: Back to the Future - BTTF.com

Marty's Shades : Back to the Future - BTTF.com
Looks like Charles (renesisx) was close with his hunch about the brand being mentioned in one of the production call sheets.

Last edited:
The ironic thing is, I now have that call sheet and I don't think it's on there :(

What other scenes does he have his sunglasses? They're barely in the movie - they were more in the production stills.

Doesn't look like Porsche to me. If you take a closer look at the logo on top of the sunglasses, you can recognize the old "ZEISS West Germany" logo.

attachment.php

Here is the same 1983 model with different colors.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sunglasses1.jpg
    sunglasses1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 12,415
  • 4633_2_zeiss-9236-vintage-sunglasses-sonnenbrille-front.jpg
    4633_2_zeiss-9236-vintage-sunglasses-sonnenbrille-front.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4,842
  • 4633_3_zeiss-9236-vintage-sunglasses-sonnenbrille-side.jpg
    4633_3_zeiss-9236-vintage-sunglasses-sonnenbrille-side.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 5,047
Last edited:
Roland to the rescue :cool. Always wondered about that logo for years, thank you so much Roland :thumbsup.

Glad I could help. :)

Here are the exact dimensions of the sunglasses:

temple length: 130 mm (5.12 inches)
vertical height: 55 mm (2.17 inches)
horizontal width: 145 mm (5.71 inches)

The gold frame style is 9236. I've been looking for the correct black version for some time but only found a different black version. From their original sleeves we can see it was a Swiss Army team up in this case. Perhaps Zeiss West Germany also did the 9236 frame in black also. I recall one of the Bobs mentioning in a making-of that the shades were a bother to shoot because of the reflection but that they HAD to use them. Maybe the product placement never came to be, but was planned. There are Marty photos of him standing in front of the 1955 theater wearing the shades.

image.jpg

Thanks for those dimensions Roland.

Nice going Paul, very cool to see that you already got two versions of the Zeiss West Germany glasses. Thanks for sharing the pics and confirming the model number. The 9236 version you have (same as linked by Roland earlier) matches with the screen used design, so yeah the black one indeed should be available in the secondary market. But I couldn't find a single product image to confirm that yet. Still all this helps to really narrow the search now.

Sorry for holding out on you guys but I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford the correct pair once Zeiss hit the interwebs. I do have another 9236 used with prescription lenses I will eventually convert for my Marty costume so it's all up to you guys now.

Sorry for holding out on you guys but I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford the correct pair once Zeiss hit the interwebs.
That's understandable. Though open sharing of such details is always appreciated and should be encouraged, sometimes one needs to secure the item for themselves before losing out the opportunity. Also few who buy such items solely for re-selling at very high prices are further validating people's reasons for not choosing to divulge information.

I sent an email to the guys from "Vintage Sunglasses" and ask for the black mirrored version. Since it's a german company, I had no problems to describe precisely what I want. Very kind people - they confirmed that it's a very rare model and they promised me to inform me if they get their hands on the correct model.

Nice, hopefully they will come up with something. Also they are the only correct site that shows up for the keywords Zeiss and 9236.

I sent an email to the guys from "Vintage Sunglasses" and ask for the black mirrored version. Since it's a german company, I had no problems to describe precisely what I want. Very kind people - they confirmed that it's a very rare model and they promised me to inform me if they get their hands on the correct model.

Well if anyone has a shot its you Roland. I sent the vintage sunglasses shop the same email almost 2 years ago and they sent me a similar response. So here's hoping a black pair turns up.

In my many Zeiss searches I can tell you I have never found a factory lens in a factory frame with a mirror coating. Now Zeiss has done lenses for countless companies, so that doesn't mean they didn't provide them for the film. Maybe the black pair in my earlier photo was produced alongside the Marty shades in the same swiss army sleeve. But if they did market the same black frame to the masses why not brag about the product placement? Even Madrid skateboards used a BTTF logo to advertise their FLY wheels.

The other option is that these are merely off the shelf shades chosen for production, instead of the Porsche brand. The CARRERA line of shades features many large aviator styles so turning to Zeiss wouldn't be too far off visually. Maybe the Bobs memories are fuzzy about these details, and their tale of annoying to photograph product placement left out the part where they made the brand switch.

Regardless, it will be great to research this with you guys. Thanks for understanding Vivek.

I found a cheap pair of mirrored "aviators" but they have a silver frame. I have not seen mirrored "aviators" with a black frame since the 1980's. I have seen lots of black frame, black lenses though.

I have been working on a replica, been drawing the top plastic piece to fit these pair of glasses. I realize that the frame isnt as thick as the one on screen and the hinges are visible when they shouldn't be but, black frames with mirrored lenses and the top plastic piece should be a decent replica.
IMG_2965.JPGimg_bttf.JPG

I found a cheap pair of mirrored "aviators" but they have a silver frame. I have not seen mirrored "aviators" with a black frame since the 1980's. I have seen lots of black frame, black lenses though.

Found very cheap ones....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/AVIATOR-Pilo...soires_Sonnenbrillen&var=&hash=item460dcbcaa5

Is something there what looks a little bit close? It is just for a photoshoot with a DeLorean, so I think the frame doesn't matter, just the glasses should be right...

Found very cheap ones....

Is something there what looks a little bit close? It is just for a photoshoot with a DeLorean, so I think the frame doesn't matter, just the glasses should be right...

Some might pay that much attention to detail, most won't though.

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcScOBRSyl!HMKQ~~60_57.JPG

I got mine at Aldi for $10.00 and they probably close to these.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love to score a Zeiss pair, my cheap ebay ones will have to do:

20150125_144436.jpg

They serve their purpose and also double as a mirror. Win-win! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back