Does a stormtrooper go ABS or PVC?

Alucard

Hello!

I'm a newbie to the RPF, and I've come for some stormtrooper advice!

I want to purchase a stormtrooper suit, and after looking at all the makers out there I've decided to go with RS propmasters - their suits look top notch! The question is, to go with ABS or PVC?

For the moment I'm tempted to go with ABS, as this is what the original suits were made of. . . I'm also a bit leary of a PVC suit because I thought there were health concerns related to PVC plastic. But what are people's thoughts?

Does one look better over the other? Has there been a huge problem in the stormtroper community of people keeling over and dying? :angel

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated by this humble newbie!

there are several good makers of stormtrooper armor, and I can sure understand why you go with the RS propmasters. Seen some of their work and it is great.

Go ABS it's screen accurate don't think I have met somene in PVC yet

Thanks for the reply!

That's 1 point for ABS. . . well 2! I'll count my vote too! Heh heh - But I'm still very interested in getting more thoughts and opinions!

When it comes to Stormtrooper armor makers it sure seems like you've got good people, bad people, and down right scoundrels! From everything I've read the RS propmaster guys sound like great folks! :)

Thanks again for the reply w3tscout!

Having VAC formed both types of plastic in 3mm, I would go ABS simply based on weight. Although I never actually weighed the parts I made, in my hands, a part made of PVC of the same thickness felt almost 2x as heavy ad the same part in ABS.

I found the PVC to heat quicker, and yes, it releases chlorine in the form of a vapor as it reaches the critical temp to make a successful pull, so you need a well ventilated work shop if this is DIY. Once cooled, I don't believe there is any risk. However, wearing the stuff as a helmet and there might be some risk. I honestly don't know.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back