Aquaman Costume??!! (Update 1/14/13 Finished)

MalmeyStudios

Sr Member
I was contacted by a friend and an Aquaman costume was purposed to me. Not being an Aquaman Fan I was hesitant "Bah!!!! No one likes Aquaman, I Said". Turns out I was wrong, So we started to design the piece, this was no easy task as Aquaman has had a few costumes and none of them (in my opinion) were very impressive! We did find that there are some impressive parts to the Aquaman Costume throughout the years however. So we did a little research and chose our favorite parts and put them together for what we hope will be an excellent Aquaman costume.

Here is our original design
Malmey-Studios-Aqua-Man-Black-White-Front-Design-241x300.jpg

Now to explain myself. This is the front of the costume, We will be designing the back as well. First off we Like the scaled shirt of "Classic and current Aquaman and wanted to keep that, We also wanted to bring the Scales down into the legs but not to much, we don't want him looking like a Merman. You will notice the Left arm is not scaled, we wanted it to have Armor on that arm as I think we will also do a gauntlet on this same arm. We added a tribal type Shark to the Left armor just to give it that royal Atlantis feel. The Scales will run down the Right arm as we like the idea of the skin being covered. You will also notice we went this an armor rather than an organic look. I'm a huge fan of the New 52 and like the look of the armor, I feel it brings a little more mortality to the situation. Even If I could talk to sharks i would not do in in my PJ's. I also Kept the Brief look, I'm not sure why, I guess it's the super friends fan in me. I'm also keeping the classic colors Orange, Green and Gold. Here is the design all colored up, keep in mind that the "real" costume will be darker but this is just to give you an Idea.
Malmey-Studios-Aqua-Man-Color-Front-Design-241x300.jpg

We will also be adding a custom made belt to the suit (perhaps gloves) and boots. So stay tuned and check back often Super Friends, the back is next.

Thanks
Jeremey

Last edited:
Re: Aquaman Costume??!! Now there's something you don't see everyday!

Why thank you sir!! I did not expect anyone to follow this thread, lol!

I really like the design and I'll be looking forward to the development.

With all respect to everyone on the forum, it is refreshing to see something non-iron man, batman, etc. Cheers to you sir. I am looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.

I cant wait to see how this thing turns out. Ive never seen a well done aquaman before.

I'm confused. Will this be an armored type costume like Batman?

Thank You everyone! Were just doing our part to cool Aquaman up a little.

Jango, Yes this will be a full body latex costume. I mocked it off of the Armor look of the New 52 costumes while trying to stay true to the look of Aquaman. As i stated above I wanted to give aquaman an armor type costume instead of PJ's. So ya I guess it will be sort of like Batman.

Re: Aquaman Costume??!! Now there's something you don't see everyday! (Update 11/28/1

Ok Guys and Gals we have a quick update on the Aquaman Costume. There is not alot to say about the costume thus far as this is only the back design we kept it pretty simple and continued with the design from the front of the costume. Same color scheme and armored left arm.

Here is the Black & White Design
Malmey-Studios-Aquaman-Costume-Design-BW-Back-248x300.jpg

and the color!
Malmey-Studios-Aquaman-Costume-Design-Color-Back-248x300.jpg

Thanks to you all for following along. Hopefully this will not disappoint.
Jeremey

Re: Aquaman Costume??!! Now there's something you don't see everyday! (Update 11/28/1

Always loved Aquaman so I hope this turns out well!

Have you considered using a short leg/sleeve wetsuit for initial parts of the build?

I figure using something like neoprene instead of lycra might give the costume a more lifelike or real world application to it.

Not sure about the boots or gloves just yet!
I'm still trying to decide what to do about the forearms.
I was considering doing an armor type gauntlet on the left arm and either making the right arm either short sleeve or continuing the scales down it.
I'm open to suggestions, Anyone?

As for gloves I was thinking of leaving the hands bare.
And boots I was considering knee high either black or green. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Jeremey

Personally I would do gauntlets and keep the hands bare, as for the legs I would probably go with nothing. Only looking at this from a surfer point of view, there is much more mobility gained in the water when you don't have anything on you from knees down.

Of all the Aquaman redisigns I think the "New 52" one nailed it with the boots being part of the "pants" section with the fin on the calfs.

I know that you're mixing/matching and reimagining the suit, I just like that look best.

I usually attach my latex costumes to a wetsuit I have used both long and short!
I like the bare hands the more I look at them.

As for the boots I agree the new 52 nailed it but I'm not sure it will work in a "real world" situtation! I was thinking perhaps boot spats but not sure!

Thanks for all the advice guys please keep it coming! Together we will get it figured out.

One thing you might consider for the feet are attaching a color-matched vibram type shoe to the "pants." I think that would provide a very distinct look for aquaman, Vibram even makes water shoes.
mens_komodo_sport_thumb.jpg

Jeremey, as always, you're the man!

Can't wait to see it :thumbsup

Would a gauntlet that shoots little tridents too "predator-esque"? Just something that popped into my head the other day.

Keep those updates coming

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back