Will 3D printers kill off pepakura?

Movie Guy

My son and I were discussing the art of pepakura and wondered if 3D printers will kill off pepakura.

It would be a great shame for people to lose these skills, but I can see the allure of simply downloading a program and waiting a couple of hours...

It's like model making for movies being replaced by CGI. I love knowing someone has used their skills and talents making a model used in a film rather than some chap sitting in a work station.

I'm not a Luddite - I love new technology, but I hope people will continue using and developing their skills.

After all, it's the making that's the point - isn't it?

Guy

Got a foot in both camps at the moment and loving both of them. 3D print is still bloody expensive, but it's also allowing things you couldn't do easily or at all otherwise. And I love not having to sweat over symmetry. There's also the aspect that the talent involved in using the workstation to get the results you want isn't exactly simple or easy.

Here:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/narcissus-builders-club-n-stuff-151894/
http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-145563/

- now the engines for the Narcissus project, I actually started cutting out of Renshape. And I could have finished those and done a perfectly OK job. I am all right with carving, and traditional modeling stuff in Renshape, jelutong or whatever, but I decided to 3D print them in the end because there's just simply greater precision, and because I wanted to improve my 3D skill set. Tackling a very compound-curvey subject achieved that aim in a big way.

Now in the last three or four weeks, I've spent dozens of hours on it. Maybe fifty or sixty hours all up in fact. More talented people than me would be quicker no doubt but I'm a doofus and that's how long it took me, probably three times as long as finishing up the job in foam or Jelutong. Go right ahead and tell me I'm not using any talent, I dare you. :lol Paul can probably say the same in developing the CNC files for the router-cut acrylic sheet components of the main hull, or the styrene detailing panels. It's all labour-saving stuff, but it doesn't mean you can build the model without having a pretty good set of hands-on skills. For a model like this the computer-based stuff just takes the drudgery out.

On the other hand, take a look at the structure of the Cygnus. Right up until Primitive Dave lobbed into this forum, I was developing my CG model almost as an end in itself - never seriously believing it could be put directly to use in developing a model. How wrong was I?

There's just no other way you could possibly do a subject like that, but Dave and I are going to realise what *still* seems like an impossible dream. So, you know - it's just another tool, but it's an amazing one.

I didn't mean to imply there's no talent related to CG work and I agree it has its place, especially in complex builds.

I'm just fascinated with film models, props and sets and I greatly admire the people who build them. I hate to think of that side of the film industry disappearing.

Last edited:
Until the cost of the 3d printing goes down to the cost of paper, no way in hell is it gonna kill off pep.

Making a Doc Doom helmet in pep is probably around 100$ bucks of work.

PRINTING a Doc Doom helmet? Couple of grand, not to mention the cost of the 3d modeler guy to make the model if you can't find one online.

Now... when replicators show up, that's when we are in trouble :lol

Chris

That's looking at 3D costs now, but we're looking at a new technology. Where will we be in five years time? Costs are dropping rapidly and I would think it will be a whole lot cheaper in the near future.

3D printing is exciting and very cool, but I like the hands on, dust-in-the-air work! I hope my sons will still be doing pepakura, molding and casting in the future.

And again, I mean no disrespect for CG work. In fact my dad, at the tender age of 78, still works full-time doing RP work and does 3D print work on a daily basis.

Guy

The question reminds me a little bit to:

"Will pepakura kill off sculpting things in clay (or carve from wood, glue from found parts, .... insert another way of making here)?"

It´s just another way to get a part done - and each person chooses the way that fit´s him best for a certain task.

Chris beat me to it. The appeal of pep is the fact that it's dirt cheap. Until there's a better/cheaper way it'll stick around.

I think the 'trend/rage' of 3D printers ADDS to the other mediums out there (pep included)

using the right tool(s) for the job is always best..

if pep (or whatever) is the best route (due to price, size..etc) great!..

but making small or intricate parts in a 3D printer can also 'add' things to a project not otherwise available without.

I choose to think of it as a 'bonus/add-on' choice in my options to complete a goal.

You also have people who enjoy that aspect of a more hands on approach to their projects too... so I dont think it'll go away... I just think with the addition of 3D options.. projects can be 'that' much better. :)

I disagree that the process of 3D printing is expensive. Yes the printer is expensive at the moment there is no doubting that but a 1kg spool of PLA for a Makerbot is $43, this will easily make a Doc Doom helmet if not 2. For $2000 you could get a Doc Doom helmet made by shapeways out of sterling silver.

The first inkjet printer was very similar to the cost of a 3D printer. Now when my IT department buys a toner cartridge they get a free inkjet with it! I'm sure 3D printers will slowly reach this cost meaning, I think that methods like pepakura are slowly going to be phased out, as sad as it is. I love the technology of 3D printers and I love the idea pepakura so on the other hand maybe there was people who, when they saw the first inkjet printers they thought people would stop drawing things as you can just print it out. Maybe (possibly hopefully) the same will happen on arts like pepakura..

Last edited:
I dont think you'll get anywhere near the quality you do form shapeways from a makerbot...

anyone care to chime in on that? :)

and also comes into play is the 'maker vs end user' argument...

Getting your own 3D printer is fo rthe maker/maker/DIY'er at heart... it take time (and sweat & tears..lol) to set-up and get your makerbot doing 'good' prints...

where as going to an on-line source saves you the trouble.. a turn key solution (so to speak)..

Where that fits into this scene.. I guess is up to the end user... and their needs/wants/motivation..

I think it makes things nice & fast (3D printing).. and you can mold/cast directly from them.. but they need (alot) of work.. sanding, priming, sanding more..etc)

Another 'aspect' is the skill needed to produce your OWN model.. (more time in vested in learning a 3D app...etc.. I dont think pep has the same learning curve)

I disagree that the process of 3D printing is expensive. Yes the printer is expensive at the moment there is no doubting that but a 1kg spool of PLA for a Makerbot is $43, this will easily make a Doc Doom helmet if not 2. For $2000 you could get a Doc Doom helmet made by shapeways out of sterling silver.

True. Bust still a hell of a lot more expensive than paper!

Maybe check on the cost of "RESIN" for those resign printers that people actually use on detailed printing.. not PLA/ABS plastics.. :)

The question reminds me a little bit to:

"Will pepakura kill off sculpting things in clay (or carve from wood, glue from found parts, .... insert another way of making here)?"

It´s just another way to get a part done - and each person chooses the way that fit´s him best for a certain task.

Thank you! :lol :lol That's where I was going. :lol

Who cares if this newfangled pep stuff dies? It's killing off the real skills anyway!!! :behave

Here's an article/interview some of you might find interesting . . .

3D PRINTER USER PROFILE: ANDREW PLUMB

excerpt:
With the publication of our Ultimate Guide to 3D Printing we learned about a growing number of hackers and makers who use the technology while on the job or just tinkering. We’ll be interviewing some of these folks to learn how they use 3D printers.

Andrew Plumb of Ottawa, ON, is a good person to start with. He’s been a contributor to open source 3D printing technology as an active MakerBot Google group and Thingiverse participant. He even owned the 9th MakerBot! Let’s find out what Andrew has to say:

JB: What fascinates you about 3D printers?

AP: Being more heavily biased toward the (electrical) engineering talents than artistic, much of what fascinates me about personal 3D printers is finally being able to make things conjured within the confines of My Brain. I code up imaginary things and make them real!

Another aspect that captivates me is the community that has grown – and continues to grow – in the various open source branches of 3D printing. Initially that community was primarily found online in the RepRap and Fab@Home parent projects. My own “formal” entry into the extended community came by way of the first batch of MakerBot Cupcake kits in 2009. At the time, being open source meant – for me – that even if it turned out to be the first, last and only batch of Cupcakes I would still have the recipe to keep it running. Four years on, the resulting hacks and upgrades keep coming from the extended community, so that logic has continued to prove itself valid. The Cupcake is dead; long live the Cupcake!

I'm torn between my answers to be honest. Pepakura already requires a CAD guy to create the model. As of right now, it's easier to flatten it and release it for people to put together themselves. However, 10 years from now (if not less) I can easily see that same CAD guy releasing his model as an STL to be 3D printed by people in their homes.

So I guess my answer would be, for the near future? No, 3D printing is not an economically viable solution for someone tinkering in their garage. Soon though? I can definitely see 3D prints taking over.

Yup, reinforced pepakura was one of the several motivations behind my figuring out ways to print plastic directly onto paper surfaces.

I can tell you that I have a 3d printer (BFB 3d Touch), and my primary goal was to be able print peps, the issue came when i realized that I would have to either:

1. convert the peps into 3d, then have the printer read them flawlessly (HARD)

or

2. create armor files from scratch, scaled to exactly how i want it (STUPID HARD)

Here is a pic of what I have so far:

2012-11-05_17-27-16_900.jpg

Now if people was to have the STL files already made/converted, then everything would be stupid easy.....but that is easier said than done. One little triangle or line that is wrong, then the printer wont read it. They have software to fix this type of stuff, but it doesnt always catch it.

Hiring a 3d modeler to flawlessly create files is expensive :(

Well they have gone down in price by quite a bit but just waiting for one after deposit is my issue. I love pep but with the resins and sanding involved the man hours are what have made my decision. I can accomplish a lot more and make multiples if desired which I like. It is just the next big thing and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back